+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3180209;
    ^ The show is going to be called True Blood and is being helmed by Alan Ball. I'm going to be checking it out (I've never read the books, however, so I won't have an opinion on their transformation from page to screen).
    I have read all 8 in the series and enjoyed them, so I will try to keep an open mind. Besides Sookie, one of my favorite characters is Sam her boss. Some other character favorites have altered over time and I am less fond of them now then I was in the beginning and vice versa, but Sam is one I love more and more through each book (and Sookie's grandmother).

I don't expect the series to imitate the books completely, unless they plan to cover one in each season; but I found them to be a delightful blend of fantasy that gives some characters supernormal abilities, intriguing storyline and charming characters. There is humor and suspense, so it will be interesting to see how my interpretation translates on the screen.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

^ Since I value your opinion, Mike'sgirl, I think I'm going to have to buy book one of the series sometime and check it out.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Since I can't watch the BBC's new production of Tess, I rented an adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge with Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy -- it was amazing. (The story is about a man who sells his wife and daughter to a sailor in a drunken fit; 20 years later they find him again and much drama ensues.) There are subtle changes from the book to make it move faster, but nothing really jarring. And being a Hardy story it's also completely depressing, but even with all the despair, the acting was so poignant that the deluge of angst made sense. Plus the pastoral scenery is gorgeous.

I loved James Purefoy as Farfrae, even with his slipping Scottish accent; his scene in the barn with Elizabeth Jane is the stuff of legends. I loathe Lucetta and will always, but Polly Walker did a fantastic job inspiriting her with some heart and backbone. But of course the thing hangs on Michael Henchard. Now I like Ciaran Hinds in anything, but his performance here is really outstanding. His face and voice are so perfect conveying the pathos of Henchard's ambitions to matter and to be loved in spite of his stubborn, self-destructive ways. And his narration during the final scene will break your heart. If you like MOC, or if you just feel like bawling your soul out for a couple hours, rent this.

I loved that one too, MotherSister! It's actually one of my favorite Hardy novels, so I was wary about the adaptation even though I love the cast - it was like a little preview of Rome with Polly, James and Ciaran! I've watched it several times since it first aired and I've grown to love it even more. I'll watch Ciaran in anything too, but he was especially great as Henchard.

What I love about Hardy is that, even though the novels are now over 100 years old, they still resonate. Plus, the can still shock the hell out of me. There's one point in MOC toward the end (won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it) where I actually gasped when I read it for the first time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm glad you enjoyed it too Crit! I agree Hardy can be extremely shocking; part of the excitement in reading him is seeing just how he will twist that knife a bit more. That's also part of the reason I can only stand to read MOC like once a year even though I love it.

In preparation for the movie premiere of Twilight, Rob Pattinson & director Catherine Hardwicke will be at the Soho Apple store to answer questions about the movie on Monday November 3rd at 8:30 pm. If you live in New York and are a fan of the Bella & Edward Twilght series you may want to stop by.....
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Kao

After seeing some of the "adaptions" I stick strictly to the books. I've heard that TrueBlood was pretty good though.

I generally prefer the book to the movie; they seem to leave out parts I would have kept and add things that don't belong. That being said, if I try and think of the movie as a separate entity from the book I enjoy it much more! One of my biggest disappointments, I think, was "A Time To Kill", book by John Grisham, movie starring Matthew McConaughey (sp?). And the main reason I didn't like it? Julia Roberts' character, who came in about 2/3 of the way through the book (if I'm remembering correctly) was there almost from the beginning of the movie. Silly reason, huh?
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3231582;
    I generally prefer the book to the movie; they seem to leave out parts I would have kept and add things that don't belong. That being said, if I try and think of the movie as a separate entity from the book I enjoy it much more! One of my biggest disappointments, I think, was "A Time To Kill", book by John Grisham, movie starring Matthew McConaughey (sp?). And the main reason I didn't like it? Julia Roberts' character, who came in about 2/3 of the way through the book (if I'm remembering correctly) was there almost from the beginning of the movie. Silly reason, huh?
    I think you're combining two movies. Mathew McConaughey was in A Time to Kill. Julia Roberts was in The Pelican Brief. Neither movie was that good. Then again, the books weren't that good either!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You're right - who am I thinking of? Sandra Bullock, maybe? Guess I'll head over to imdb ...

yep, Sandra Bullock. I couldn't get interested in Pelican Brief (the book, didn't try the movie) but liked most of A Time To Kill. Now I'm waiting for Twilight (even though I'm waaay above the target age for this one) and Inkheart (due out in January). And from the trailer, Inkheart is going to be extremely different than the book. *sigh* Oh, well...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

+ Reply to Thread