+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

I don't quite understand the message on her site. She said that she wants to give it "free" when you pay for the hardcover copy of "The Twilight Saga: The Official Guide". Checking out Amazon, I see that you can pre-order each book separately, but there is nothing showing that if you order the Official Guide, that "the short second life of bree tanner" will be inclusive. Is it not possible to get them both at same time? Or does each have to be ordered, and paid for separately?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3868668;
    I don't quite understand the message on her site. She said that she wants to give it "free" when you pay for the hardcover copy of "The Twilight Saga: The Official Guide". Checking out Amazon, I see that you can pre-order each book separately, but there is nothing showing that if you order the Official Guide, that "the short second life of bree tanner" will be inclusive. Is it not possible to get them both at same time? Or does each have to be ordered, and paid for separately?
    The way I read it, the story was too long to be part of the "official guide" so it will have no connection. I believe that the full Bree Tanner story will be available for anyone to read at the website referenced on her page, but for a limited amount of time. So the options for the Bree Tanner story are (1) read it for free online during the designated time period or (2) buy a hardcopy of the book.

I don't care for reading online, so I opted to just pre-order myself a hardcopy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3868719;
    The way I read it, the story was too long to be part of the "official guide" so it will have no connection. I believe that the full Bree Tanner story will be available for anyone to read at the website referenced on her page, but for a limited amount of time. So the options for the Bree Tanner story are (1) read it for free online during the designated time period or (2) buy a hardcopy of the book.

I don't care for reading online, so I opted to just pre-order myself a hardcopy.
    Ahhh - thank you for explaining that! I knew she said her publisher was on board for providing the Bree story for free if the hardcover is purchased, so maybe if you get it through them, you can read the shorter Bree story online.
    I might just do as you have done then, and order both through Amazon.

Thanks for clarifying!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I finished reading The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner yesterday. It was an interesting perspective. I knew they had given the story to the Eclipse actors, but I watched a trailer of Eclipse after reading this story and I suspect that they are incorporating information from this short story into the film to flesh out what is going on in Seattle during the story. I actually think it will make for a more well-rounded film since the original book ONLY gives us Bella's perspective and information she knows.

I also re-read Eclipse before I jumped into the short story. Reading the book again just makes me more annoyed with the job Kristen Stewart does as Bella in the films. While Bella may be annoying, she does have the ability to be happy and passionate. KS seems to be endlessly flat and morose. At this point I can only hope that she surprises me in Eclipse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I just went to the national women's studies conference (academic type conference) and there were several papers given on the Twilight series. The focus was mostly on the books (people are waiting until all the movies are made before commenting on them). There's apparently a field referred to as "Twilight studies". There's the real certification of being a genuine cultural phenonmenon.
    I didn't get to all of them, but some were on her appropriation of the local tribe's myths, and distortion of them (apparently the tribe has mixed feelings... yes, they've made some profit off the Twilight tourists [although a lot less than the town of Forks], on the other hand people have some really odd ideas about what they believe), some on her portrayal of the "white" pure Cullen vampires in contrast to the dark skinned animalistic werewolves. Probably the one that I found most interesting, given the number of teen girls who read the series over and over, was the one that pointed out that Edward shows ALL the signs we teach our students on how to recognize a potentially abusive boyfriend. He's possessive, controlling, cuts her off from other friends and family, literally limiting her mobility at times, essentially stalking her, demands secrecy about important issues, etc.
    There was also a lot of talk about the author's LDS background and how in some ways the novels are related to Morman ideology.
    Interestingly a lot of the speakers obviously enjoyed the series...as did the audience---the audience for these talks was definitely younger than the average for the conference! A lot of team Jacob people there!
    Last edited by PWS; 11-16-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

PWS - Interesting, thank you for posting. I'm an adult woman, married with kids, and enjoyed the books as entertaining reading.

However, I have a sister who has high school aged daughters and she could not get past New Moon and Bella's attitude. She thought the books sent a very bad message to young girls.

How cool that these books are being studied and analyzed as they have become such a cultural phenomenon.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm about halfway through The Host, and am strongly recommending it so far. The "heroine" is an alien living as a parasite on a human, able to access her memories, etc. Normally the host personality disappears when one of the aliens is attached, but not when the host has a strong personality and is aware of what is happening---so the heroine is sharing a body with a very angry human. The human is trying to protect memories of where her little brother and boyfriend are hiding (most humans now host aliens, but not all), but eventually they all meet up, and the alien's feelings toward the brother and boyfriend mirrow those of the human....all kinds of complications ensue with the alen coming around to the human view more or less. (Not giving away a lot here, you see that early on)

PWS, don't get too attached to The Host. It was a really good book, but it was meant to be a series and it's been a couple of years and no sequel has been printed. I'm starting to think there won't be.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    PWS, don't get too attached to The Host. It was a really good book, but it was meant to be a series and it's been a couple of years and no sequel has been printed. I'm starting to think there won't be.
    I hear they are making a movie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I hear they are making a movie.
    I heard it's supposed to release in June but the book came out in 2008 and there's been no follow up.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread