+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyElle;3354401;
    I would love it if she elaborated more on Leah; it just feels like there is a lot left to be said about her, especially being the only female werewolf. I think it would be interesting if she went back prior to Twilight and began when Leah and Sam were together.
    I would so love that .. I ended up liking Leah more than i liked Bella. I hate to say it since the books were Bella's books.. but Leah has much more story in her I think
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Newbie

I think what drew me to Leah was her struggle having to be close to Sam in such an intimate way (the whole mind connection thing while in wolf form). Even though she had a rather brash personality I felt the pain from what she had to endure every single time she phased.

I think a lot of kindered souls would find a series on Leah preferable to Bella's because a lot of people have been burned by love (not by having your boyfriend imprint and leave you but you know what I mean); heartache and pain is a reality for most people at some point in their life. Not a lot of people can relate to the Romeo and Juliet situation between Bella and Edward- that is more of the 'fantasy' we wish we all could have.

At least I think that is why I felt more of a connection with Leah's character than with Bella's. I could sympathise with her more.
    ]

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm about a third of the way through the 2nd book now, and getting exasperated with Bella. Jacob seems like so much more of an interesting guy than Edward! I know from what I read here that's not how it's going to turn out, but Edward's charm, other than his "statuesque" good looks (and a cold marble statue at that), has never been that apparent to me. OK, they are instantly hooked on each other...and for him apparently it's at least partly literally chemical, but from her side she only seems able to articulate her swoons over his looks (and whatever chemical charms vampires have), but never what makes him fun to be around, other than the general excitement of being swooshed around and saved. Jacob seems warmer, more 'real" and someone you could actually live with. Obviously he's going to turn into a weresomething (I would have thought bear from all the hints that Sam and his gang are the bears people keep seeing, but apparently wolf from here), but, hey, Bella likes guys who are a little "off". Too bad he's apparently meant for someone else (judging by FORT) and she gets back with Edward. Have to admit I'm still gripped though, just thought I'd come in with a mid-book gripe!

Hmmm... This is a long story for me. It took a LOT of time to get me started to get my eyes on those books. Twilight movie was released around November, and months before that, my friends convinced me to read the books because as they quoted, it was "so so great".

Anyways... months before the movie was released, I felt the Twilight mania around me. My friends couldn't stop talking about the first three books as the last one hadn't come out yet. lol. It's so funny... I only know the book named something like "Twilight" so I went to the local store and bought a book by Maggie Shayne named "Twilight Phantasies", thinking I got the right book. I read it in one or two days and got overly excited to talk about it with my friends only to have us taking excitedly about two different books. It took a while for us to realise that we're not speaking about the same characters, though both main male characters were vampires. It was embarrassing, though I became Maggie Shayne's fan after that.

Back to the story... I went to the store to look for the right book again, this time remembering the author's name and I came across all three books... So I bought all three which cost a lot and I actually had to "loan" some from my mother. When I got home, I realise that it was written in first person. I hate reading books in first person. As a result of that, I never touched the book for months (or weeks perhaps). My friends continue to get me into reading those books but I never got pass 3 pages. Weeks after the movie was released in theatres, I still won't budge. I'm so stubborn. My aunt, who I shared my passion for reading, came to me and offer me the book so she can talk about it with me, like we did with Harry Potter. My aunt is like me -- she hates first person narration book, but she caved in so I gave it a chance and I'm so glad I did. Read the first book in a day and a half (Hey, I have no life) and continued with the other two and when I'm done with Eclipse, went to the store yet again to buy book 4. Needless to say, I'm hooked and as Bella said it, I'm unconditionally and irrevocably in love with the series.

Edward and Bella's love is far beyond beautiful. The fact that they're willing to die if one of them die was absolutely beautiful. In real life, it's kinda stupid, but for fiction, it's sooooo romantic and totally believable!! One thing about novels... You can't really take things seriously -- they're fiction after all...

I think the only time I found myself irritated with Bella was when she realised that she "loves" Jacob, but just not as much as she loves Edward! I mean, COME ON! Loving two people are like cheating, in my dictionary. You have no idea how mad I was when she and Jacob kissed.

Seriously, bear with me. I'm a hardcore fan of eternity love and kinda a one man kinda girl. I tend to curse Jacob a lot when I thought about Edward and Bella.

I'm so glad though that Stephanie Meyer wrote the last book because I really like Jacob back like I did with him in Twilight. Perhaps even more...

kiariclois I was slightly peeved as well, but I found that Bella's love for Jacob and Edward was very different. She knew she couldn't live without Edward, with Jacob she was sad to say goodbye. So, the emotion for her was real, but different.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I like how Edward and Bella start off their relationship... First through those weird feelings, and quite bizarre in Edward's part. Then through their minds... they just seems to think about one another before they even talk. Then through their heart -- with all the talking and questions, lol... so many heart to heart sessions. Then they get physical. lol. Certain paranormal books didn't even acknowledge the difference that the vampire and human have to get physical... lol... I dunno... lol

Anyways... The love for Jacob and Edward are different. I would never imagine her love for Jacob was half as strong as her love for Edward or help me God, I would tear the book apart (but I won't... It costs me a LOT ).

I found Renesmee too adorable, and only after she was born I was able to really enjoy reading Jacob part in the book. lol. Jake's possessiveness over her was really... breath-taking. Seriously.

Also, I love every relationship in the book. In fact, I've narrowed each relationship in a word that's best to describe it...

Bella and Edward: Natural

Their love is natural. They're attracted to each other without even realising it, but they both feel the love since the beginning...

Esme and Carlise: Mature

They're able to act mature in every way, as individuals and also couple. As far as I'm concerned, they never quite act like young love (maybe just when Bella was around) Nevertheless, you can feel their love for one another through Edward's fondness of their relationship.

Rosalie and Emmett: Exotic ( )

What can I say? lol. I think you can figure out why I think they're exotic, if you read Breaking Dawn over and over. Darn! I feel dirty!

Alice and Jasper: Soulful

Their relationship is the weirdest, and yet I can't help loving these two. They have the ability to communicate mentally. If you remember in New Moon, when Alice came back from Italy, Jasper did not greet her like how couples normally act once they're reunited from long separation, instead they did all the "talking" with their mind. Their love for one another is quite obvious, if you read part when Jasper and Alice did their demonstration in Eclipse and when Jasper told Bella of his past.

Nessie and Jake: Tender

Seriously. These two are so perfect together. They cared deeply about one another and Jacob turned into a somewhat tender person (which is kinda weird -- good weird) when he's interacting with Nessie. I dunno... but I love Jacob's and Nessie's tenderness towards one another...

I would love to see their individual tale. Like what Julie Garwood did with the book "For the Roses". The character there has 4 brothers and Julie Garwood ended up writing the brothers' individual love story; 3 brothers' stories compile in one book and the other one in one separate book. It's real nice.

Just bought the movie and am at home watching it

I think that the thing that amazes me the most about this story is how it seems to stand out in a genra all its own. Stephenie Meyer has found a way to articulate the kind of love many of us dream of when we go through our 'Princess' phase and meld it with a whole new world that keeps us enchanted with a world full of mystery and dark beauty. I think this is going to be to today's youth what books like Pride and Prejudice and To Kill A Mockingbird were to past generations; a literary phenomenon.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

My Little Sister and I got the movie yesterday and watched it for our weekly time together. She reads the books over and over as do many other tweens I know. I teach middle school, so I have a sense of how popular it is. I think a big part is the huge burning love part, another is the restraint part. Edward is such a gentleman with Bella. He is the perfect teen romantic ideal. At Walmart where we got the movie, they had pairs of rubber bracelets with charms. One pair said, "I like boys who sparkle" and the charm was a crystal heart.
    Count your blessings!

PWS - I felt the same way when I read New Moon. I had to set the book aside a couple of times and go back to it. But, the second (and subsequent) time I read it, I could do so with a better appreciation because I knew where the story ended up.

Kiariclois - I agree. It's the all consuming, natural, force of nature love that Bella and Edward have that draws me to the books. I think Renee actually put it perfectly in Eclipse when she said "The way you move - you orient yourself around him without even thinking about it. When he moves, even a little bit, you adjust your position at the same time. Like magnets...or gravity." While she was obviously talking about Bella here, Edward is the same way. They are just inexplicably drawn to each other. The romance in that is just overwhelming

Gutmutter - Agreed. Bella and Edward are different role models than most and it will be interesting to see if there is significant influence given the reach of the books.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

I read the entire series last weekend... I didn't sleep at all on Saturday... All I did was read. I have never been so consumed with a series then this one. I have to chalk it up to my pathetic romantic fantasies as well as being single and in my late 20's. hahaha. The love story was exquisite. The most beautiful love story I have read in a very long time. I loved loved loved how the relationship develops between Edward and Bella. I also found it annoying to find out later that Bella was in love with Jacob... although it was different then her feelings for Edward it still bothered me. I guess I am a Team Edward fan. I find myself missing the characters already and have started to reread the series. I saw the movie and was less then thrilled but then watched it about another dozen times (sad I know) and am now hooked. I even bought the soundtrack and score from Itunes and listen to it at work. I went on Stephanie Meyers website and read the partial draft of Midnight Sun and it was FANTASTIC. Reading the story from Edwards point of view is terrific and I hope she finishes it at some point. I found myself laughing, crying and yelling while reading the series and I put myself through an emotional rollercoaster to say the least... It is a very easy read but for some odd reason it touched me and hit a part of my soul that brought out my imagination again. Soooo silly i know. I am so glad that I am not the only one who has fallen in love with this series... Makes me feel less weird and pathetic. hahaha.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread