+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

I agree CCL, TW was the best of the 4... at least to me. I liked EC more than NM, but NM more than BD... lol. I am all over the map on Hers.. where as with JK's I loved the first one, then the 3rd and 4th, then they got a little bit out there for me. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE both of the sagas, but I do have my faves in each.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Regardless of what Stephan King says and what a supposedly good writer he is, I don't like the genre he writes in, I can't stand the movies made from his books and in fact have only read 2 of his books and only liked the one. Regardless of what he thinks about Stephanie Meyers she has obviously hit a button with young teenage girls and has created a world that they can dream about and perhaps explore young budding feelings. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure that as Ms. Meyers matures as a writer her style will also mature. I also wonder why King, a man who has been writing for the last 30 yrs chooses to attack a novice writer at the beginning of her career?

BTW while I have listened to all the Twilight books and have seen the movie, I am not a fan and don't get why it is so popular. I got the books because I had heard they were popular and wanted to see why. I do prefer the author's other novel "The Host".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3324422;
    Regardless of what Stephan King says and what a supposedly good writer he is, I don't like the genre he writes in, I can't stand the movies made from his books and in fact have only read 2 of his books and only liked the one. Regardless of what he thinks about Stephanie Meyers she has obviously hit a button with young teenage girls and has created a world that they can dream about and perhaps explore young budding feelings. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure that as Ms. Meyers matures as a writer her style will also mature. I also wonder why King, a man who has been writing for the last 30 yrs chooses to attack a novice writer at the beginning of her career?

BTW while I have listened to all the Twilight books and have seen the movie, I am not a fan and don't get why it is so popular. I got the books because I had heard they were popular and wanted to see why. I do prefer the author's other novel "The Host".
    Well said, and I also enjoyed Host and consider it her best work thus far IMO. I think writer's do mature the longer they are writing and look forward to the Host sequel and the new ones she has in the works.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3324918;
    Well said, and I also enjoyed Host and consider it her best work thus far IMO. I think writer's do mature the longer they are writing and look forward to the Host sequel and the new ones she has in the works.
    I see this a lot in romance novel authors especially the ones who later branch out into mainstream writing. The e novels are exactly the same. There is a huge demand for this type of genre and it is a great place for budding authors to get the experience they need to hone their craft. Not all are at the height of greatness from their first novel unlike Mr. King but I guess he has forgotten what it is like to be human. Oh, that would explain much.

I too look forward to the further adventures of Wanda.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just finished this series and absolutely loved it! Well, most of it. I was hooked and then, for me, the end left me kind of flat. Anyone else have the same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3328322;
    I just finished this series and absolutely loved it! Well, most of it. I was hooked and then, for me, the end left me kind of flat. Anyone else have the same issues?
    Well, I thought she tied everything up nicely. I knew that Breaking Dawn would be the last in the series, so I didn't expect her to leave something hanging to be addressed in the future. I was happy with it, and my sister and niece felt it was the best one in the series.

But, there are more then a few here that felt it was not their favorite of the 4, so you are not alone.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3328889;
    Well, I thought she tied everything up nicely. I knew that Breaking Dawn would be the last in the series, so I didn't expect her to leave something hanging to be addressed in the future. I was happy with it, and my sister and niece felt it was the best one in the series.

But, there are more then a few here that felt it was not their favorite of the 4, so you are not alone.
    That's interesting. I felt like she tied nothing up at the end of Breaking Dawn, with the exception of the immediate action with Nessie.

CCL

I agree with Mike'sgirl that the storyline was tied up by the end of Breaking Dawn. We found out what was to become of Bella, and we knew what her & Edward's future life would be like. Breaking Dawn certainly wasn't my favourite novel of the series, but I do think it did its job visavis finishing up the storyline.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Newbie

I think there were a lot of storylines that remained unfinished, otherwise, why so many characters and details into their lives and minds? We only know where the direction of Edward and Bella were heading - no one else

CCL

I guess. But how many novels tell you every detail of what happens in the future for the characters contained in their pages? They end when when the story ends, which is not necessarily when the characters end (i.e. die). I felt that Breaking Dawn was the conclusion to Bella and Edward's story (and that of their compatriots); they were no longer in danger, the question of whether Bella would be changed or not was answered and their future together was assured. Which is not to say that I wouldn't read a future book based on those characters (if Meyer chooses to write one; actually I'd like a book based on Alice or Nessie (though I hate that name!)).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread