+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Can't wait to see you on "Ellen" tomorrow Stephanie!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I just finished reading Twilight and I thought that it was great.

Smackdown of the Week: Stephen King vs. Twilight's Stephenie Meyer

Count Stephen King among those not swooning over Edward Cullen.

In what should have been a controversy-free interview with USA Weekend to promote his latest book, the horror master has slammed Twilight creator Stephenie Meyer's writing prowess...by flat-out saying she has none.

What started with an innocent question on the recent juggernaut success of fellow mainstream writers Meyer and J.K. Rowling quickly devolved into a full-scale denouncement of the former's skills.

"The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a darn," he said. "She's not very good."

Leave it to an author not to mince his words.

Possibly sensing the worldwide fallout from inflaming millions of Twilight loyalists, King went on to say that while Meyere's writing may bite the big one, her storytelling is compelling...at least to a certain, less experienced segment of the population.

"People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's very exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they're not overtly sexual.

"A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

While King seemed to reserve his choicest words for Meyer, she wasn't the only best-selling author eviscerated by him. On the contrary, King declared Perry Mason author Erle Stanley Gardner "terrible," Dean Koontz "sometimes?just awful," and James Patterson "a terrible writer" who is nonetheless "very very successful."

You know, the opposite of what King now is with Meyer fans.

null

E! Online Entertainment - Smackdown of the Week: Stephen King vs. Twilight's Stephenie Meyer

Wow

Wow! You said it! What was he thinking? Is he so full of himself that he thinks he can make comments like this about so many popular authors, just because he is Stephen King?

I've always thought Stephenie's writing is compelling. (I'm a mature adult) If he says this about a fellow author; what does that say about the people who read that author and enjoy?

I've never been a big fan of his, but I think I will be reading far less of his works in the future.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

He's entitled to his opinion. I do think JK Rowling is a better author than Stephenie Meyer but that doesn't mean that Meyer is a terrible writer (far from it). And I'd rather read a book by Meyer than one by Steven King personally.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I can see and understand King's point, but he didn't express it (IMO) well. I always thought of JK as an author.. and Stephenie as a writer. There are things in the TW Books that are thin, lacking, and not in tune with the plot. However, I still love the idea and the story of Edward and Bella. I can't tell you how many times i have read them and seen the movie (over 50 by now). Im sure that I will keep reading them, they are fun reads.

However, the books, were lacking in parts. Because of this I was able to see things as my mind wanted to and have a whole new vision. I am ok with that.. but there are times that when reading a book like Harry Potter.. that its also amazing to see what someone else sees and for them to be able to bring that vision to life with just words and have the reader see what they see, just as they see it. That is what makes a writer and author, at least to me
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FireWoman - I just had to Google your signature line because I couldn't put my finger on why it sounded familiar. I should have realized that I have that song on my iPod!!
    Now I am going to have to go listen to it...

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Heh, im a Big fan of Cris and his Lyrics.. maybe because I can feel his relationship pain lol.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

The first books that an author writes are usually not the greatest. It takes them a while and they get better and better. The first 2 HP books, were not that great either IMO, but I did grow to love them more and more. Rowling is gifted, and it is well known that King was a big fan of that series; but I would not have expected him to dismiss the early works of new authors. It takes every new author a little time to come into their own. (Yes, I am annoyed with him because spegs is a FORT member, that on top of the fact that I have never been his biggest fan).
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

^ While I agree with you about Harry Potter, I actually think the first two books of the Twilight series were the best. I liked how they were written - they weren't high literature, or anything, but they were gripping and entertaining and good reads.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread