+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3164600;
    Maybe he's more of a Garrett. I scare myself every time I post, though, so he's not going to last long. Maybe I'll find a Lulu.
    Bandy is right - with a little imagination he could be the Voltari, I see Garrett as more macho and not as old........ but, I would love to see a Lulu avatar! (or grandma)
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I went to google images and typed in "old lady" and the very first image was an ancient woman from behind in a thong swimsuit. My eyes!!! I saved one from page two of a woman in hot pink pants smoking a cigar. I may just go there. Sorry to get so far off topic.
    Count your blessings!

I know this is a little off topic, but I think the gymnast, Nastia Lukin, has a perfect name for a vampire. I can almost see her name in these books! I'll bet she would be a fantastic character!

Just received an email with the latest news on Twilight the movie:

"Twilight has some great news, and we wanted you to be some of the first to know!

Twilight will be in theaters THREE WEEKS SOONER than originally planned!!! It will open in theaters everywhere in North America on

November 21, 2008!

Be on the lookout next week for more Twilight-related happenings - including a special look back at our fan-tastic time at Comic-Con!"

TWILIGHT - The Official Movie Site - IN THEATERS 12.12.08

So hurray! We get to see the movie even sooner then expected!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

I wonder if they moved it because of Harry Potter's being moved until summer (HP was supposed to come out around that time). Yay to seeing it sooner!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3160832;
    I'm going to give my thoughts here but I'm putting it in spoilers for those who haven't finished.

Click to see Spoiler:

Overall, I'd say my feelings toward the book were mixed.
    Things I didn't like:
    - That Bella didn't actively choose to become a vampire. I know there was mention of her making plans to become one, but we never saw them (they were just mentioned after-the-fact). I felt the pregnancy angle was a bit of a cop-out. There was no way was she going to choose not to have the baby, and if she had to have the baby, then she had to become a vampire. I would have preferred her to actively choose her future.
    - I thought Jacob's imprinting on Renesmee was a bit of a cliche. Poor ever-rejected Jacob, no hopes of him ever getting Bella. So we'll give him a faux-Bella substitute who is half-Bella. Perfect. I would have preferred him to develop a relationship with Leah. Yes, he could never have imprinted on her, but do wolves have to imprint?
    - The fact that Bella didn't go through typical newborn behaviour. Over and over we've heard of how newborns are uncontrollable forces (for several years, though a year-period was also mentioned in the book). But Bella was given a "gift" of self-control and never experienced that. It was a way to make the pure and innocent Bella remain pure and innocent in vampire form, never tainted by her vampire actions. Not that I wanted her to go around slaughtering the West Coast, of course, but I would have preferred more struggle. And the idea that she could easily have Charlie in her life almost immediately, and he wouldn't be bothersome by asking pesky questions - that felt too easy.
    - I felt the book was overly long and could have used some editing.

Things I liked:
    - The wedding and the time on the island
    - Jacob's narration of part of the book. It was good to hear things from his perspective.
    - Reneesme. I chafed at the idea of the pregancy at first, but Renesmee was a great character. Very interesting as well. Horrible name, however.
    - The last 200 pages picked up and were quite good.
    - I enjoyed meeting the other vampires and seeing their talents.
    - I liked Bella's shield - that was a good talent for her to have and I'm glad she was able to contribute to keeping her family safe.
    - The happy ending. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!

Oh, and maybe I'm just missing it, but where did the first preface figure in the book? I kept waiting for it to turn up, wondering who it belonged to (was it Bella thinking about Edward? Jacob thinking about Bella? etc). But I don't recall it appearing in any chapter. Did I miss it?

Overall, I'm still a big fan of the Twilight world (particularly the first two books). I'm looking forward to the movie, and I would love to read Midnight Sun. I just wish I'd liked the final book more.
    Great points, CCL! I agree with just about everything, particularly regarding the stuff you didn't like. I do feel that the story lost some momentum somewhere half through, but it picked up
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Renesmee was born and Bella joined the vampire coven
    and I had a REALLY hard time putting it down. Oh, the horror of having to go through the everyday motions (job, eat, wash, sleep) when there's a new Stephenie Meyer novel out!

I was pleasantly surprised with Jacob's narration; it was a good (and needed) deviation from Bella's lovelorn narrative. Hey, I'm semi-in love with Edward myself, so I get why she's so worked up, but there's only so much gushing I can take. And I never thought I'd say this, being a fanpire and all, but I think I might have joined Team Jacob. He understands Bella in a fundamental way, and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    was so good with Renesmee - even though I do think the imprinting thing was a bit of a cop-out
    and I would have loved to read an alternate ending.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Here's a pretty funny summary of Breaking Dawn: lion_lamb: The lovely miss poetrytoprose suggested

It does contain massive spoilers, so DO NOT read unless you've finished the whole novel!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek, Thanks for the link! That was hysterical!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3168685;
    Here's a pretty funny summary of Breaking Dawn: lion_lamb: The lovely miss poetrytoprose suggested

It does contain massive spoilers, so DO NOT read unless you've finished the whole novel!
    I read this a couple of days ago and was laughing so hard.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

It really is funny! Thanks for sharing it!
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread