+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

Re: Bella and Edward series by Stephenie Meyer

I absolutely enjoyed the whole entire Twiligt series. Books 1 through 4 were wonderful. I will admit I do the first book the most because that's where it all started and things were the least complicated, believe it or not. I always love watching how love begins, I'm such a sucker for those kinds of things.

Surprisingly, I was able to predict all the major points of Breaking Dawn before reading it (Maybe I have some of Alice's magical abilities?...or the fact that I have a sister named Alice helps...lol). I was incredibly happy because Stephenie Meyer went in the direction that I hoped she would. I couldn't ask for a better ending, and I'm pretending like it never ended. Their story will always continue in my mind.

Besides the Chronicles of Narnia, I don't think I've ever loved a book series this much. I'm happy to say that I now have two wonderful sets of stories to represent the time I grew up in. Narnia for my childhood, and Twilight for my adulthood...lol. I'm not a teenager, but I'm still a young lady. I became enveloped in Bella's story and can relate to her in so many ways. Stephenie really understands the mind of an aveage girl...hehe.

I get a nice euphoric feeling looking at that special section designated on my bookshelf for Stephenie Meyer's books. All 5 books are lined up in a row with their beautiful and exquisite covers. I know for years to come I will be reading each one of those books numerous times. I also hope that if I ever have a daughter, she'll enjoy reading about Bella and Edward as much as I did.

I will be looking forward to the day when Stephenie is well-rested and decides to write a new story.

Stephenie aka spegsy,
    If you happen to visit here and read this, I just want to say thank you so much for being such a brilliant writer!!!
    Last edited by RubyPhoenix; 08-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    And this life sentence that Iím serving
    I admit that Iím every bit deserving -
    But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair

- Relient K

CCL

I'm going to give my thoughts here but I'm putting it in spoilers for those who haven't finished.

Click to see Spoiler:

Overall, I'd say my feelings toward the book were mixed.
    Things I didn't like:
    - That Bella didn't actively choose to become a vampire. I know there was mention of her making plans to become one, but we never saw them (they were just mentioned after-the-fact). I felt the pregnancy angle was a bit of a cop-out. There was no way was she going to choose not to have the baby, and if she had to have the baby, then she had to become a vampire. I would have preferred her to actively choose her future.
    - I thought Jacob's imprinting on Renesmee was a bit of a cliche. Poor ever-rejected Jacob, no hopes of him ever getting Bella. So we'll give him a faux-Bella substitute who is half-Bella. Perfect. I would have preferred him to develop a relationship with Leah. Yes, he could never have imprinted on her, but do wolves have to imprint?
    - The fact that Bella didn't go through typical newborn behaviour. Over and over we've heard of how newborns are uncontrollable forces (for several years, though a year-period was also mentioned in the book). But Bella was given a "gift" of self-control and never experienced that. It was a way to make the pure and innocent Bella remain pure and innocent in vampire form, never tainted by her vampire actions. Not that I wanted her to go around slaughtering the West Coast, of course, but I would have preferred more struggle. And the idea that she could easily have Charlie in her life almost immediately, and he wouldn't be bothersome by asking pesky questions - that felt too easy.
    - I felt the book was overly long and could have used some editing.

Things I liked:
    - The wedding and the time on the island
    - Jacob's narration of part of the book. It was good to hear things from his perspective.
    - Reneesme. I chafed at the idea of the pregancy at first, but Renesmee was a great character. Very interesting as well. Horrible name, however.
    - The last 200 pages picked up and were quite good.
    - I enjoyed meeting the other vampires and seeing their talents.
    - I liked Bella's shield - that was a good talent for her to have and I'm glad she was able to contribute to keeping her family safe.
    - The happy ending. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!

Oh, and maybe I'm just missing it, but where did the first preface figure in the book? I kept waiting for it to turn up, wondering who it belonged to (was it Bella thinking about Edward? Jacob thinking about Bella? etc). But I don't recall it appearing in any chapter. Did I miss it?

Overall, I'm still a big fan of the Twilight world (particularly the first two books). I'm looking forward to the movie, and I would love to read Midnight Sun. I just wish I'd liked the final book more.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-09-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Okay, I am finally daring to venture into this thread as I have finished Breaking Dawn. Started it yesterday morning while waiting in the doctor's office for my mom and finished an hour ago. I figured that if I didn't finish it today, I wouldn't be able to get anything done around the house tomorrow either, lol.

I LOVED it!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I couldn't be happier with the way everything turned out. It was also such a treat to hear a large chunk of the story from Jacob's perspective. I loved all the details regarding Bella's new experiences as a vampire. I thought it was very cohesive with everything she had learned about vampires throughout the series. I am glad that her transformation happened the way it did, out of necessity - so that neither she nor Edward could regret their choice. Maybe a little too neat-and-tidy for some, but I was relieved. I wanted the happy ending for everyone and am glad we got it. I'm especially glad that poor Jacob didn't have to die of a broken heart as I was always rooting for him.

So well done, Spegs! Congrats, and thank you for the wonderful story. I am looking forward to the new stories yet to come.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Premium Member

I finally was able to pick up Breaking Dawn today. I need to finish Eclipse first though, I'm a bit behind. Still, I want to join in with everybody in saying Yay Spegs!

oneTVslave - I feel the same way. I know that not all the reviews have been positive, (especially one in the current issue of EW) which made me want to hiss; but I loved it! This is fantasy, so I suspend belief. To me, the author sets the perimeters of what is possible within the fantasy and I just accept it. The EW reviewer didn't even appear to read the entire book - I think she must have skimmed through a few parts and read all the mean teen reviews on Amazon. (I could be mistaken though) I can't help but feel SM brought the storyline and characters to completion; so I didn't feel the reviewers critisms were valid.

I too am looking forward to her future books especially Midnight Sun!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

What amazed me is that I googled the bestseller lists and all of Stephanie's books are in the top ten on the USA Today list. Yes that includes The Host. I think that is a very remarkable feat for such a new author and that her first book is already being made into a movie and to be shown this yr is the 'to die for' fantasy for all authors. Regardless of what some critics and reviewers feel that is an achievement. Congratulations Stephanie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by CCL

Click to see Spoiler:
    Oh, and maybe I'm just missing it, but where did the first preface figure in the book? I kept waiting for it to turn up, wondering who it belonged to (was it Bella thinking about Edward? Jacob thinking about Bella? etc). But I don't recall it appearing in any chapter. Did I miss it?

Overall, I'm still a big fan of the Twilight world (particularly the first two books). I'm looking forward to the movie, and I would love to read Midnight Sun. I just wish I'd liked the final book more.
    You've made valid points in your comment and if the Book reviewers stuck with that I would be happy, because it is true.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Unfortunately, they are drudging up twisted elements and distorting them such as "imprinting" suggesting pedophilia which is crazy because she clearly explains in prior books the relationship between Quill & Claire and that he doesn't think of her in the romantic sense until Claire fully matures; and it will be the same between Jake and Nessie.
    Anyway, to answer your Q - I interpreted it as Bella having a premonition/dream of what happens in the last chapter. Bella thinking of her loving (extended) family - especially Edward (Nessie). But, I could be wrong. I do think it is Bella's thought, and since we left off in Jacob's head in Eclipse - there wasn't really a bridge which causes confusion.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I made the mistake of googling the EW review. I do not want to read any spoilers and I saw "words" I am trying to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3162383;
    I made the mistake of googling the EW review. I do not want to read any spoilers and I saw "words" I am trying to forget.
    I am so sorry! I should have issued a warning when I mentioned it. My feeling though was that she only read a portion of the book, and then stopped instead of reading it to completion.

Sorry Bearcata, no way to scrub that off now I guess...

What was that critic thinking????
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3162411;
    I am so sorry! I should have issued a warning when I mentioned it. My feeling though was that she only read a portion of the book, and then stopped instead of reading it to completion.

Sorry Bearcata, no way to scrub that off now I guess...

What was that critic thinking????
    Lots and lots of tv viewing helps, thank you Olympics.

+ Reply to Thread