+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

femme fatale: if you can manage to hold off on buying the third book in the series, "Eclipse Special Edition" will be out on May 6th, and that will include the first chapter of Breaking Dawn to be released August 2nd.

Otherwise, I would say pick up Eclipse while you are out there getting New Moon because you will probably move right on to the next book immediately.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I received a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas so I picked up several new books.

Split Second by David Baldacci - I really enjoyed the characters and storyline in this book.
    Hour Game by David Baldacci - Haven't read this one yet. Same characters as in Split Second.
    Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper - Pretty good book. Very strange ending.
    Glare Ice by Mary Logue - I've just recently discovered this author and I've been enjoying this series with the character of Claire Watkins. This is the 3rd book in the series.
    Cross by James Patterson - Can't get enough of James Patterson. I'll read Double Cross as soon as it is out in paperback.
    Beach Road by James Patterson - OK, I was about halfway through this book, really getting into the story and the characters when all of the sudden, it wan't making sense. I then realize there are 8 pages missing from the book! I get online and find out their return policy is 30 days, no exceptions and it's been longer than that since I got my books. I called their customer service number and was lucky enough to get a SUPER customer service rep. After I explained the situation, she went to bat for me, talked to her supervisor and they agreed to send me a new book. I LOVE them! She said they rarely bend the rules on their return policy. I'm really happy they worked with me but I'll be in suspense until my new book arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2796616;
    femme fatale: if you can manage to hold off on buying the third book in the series, "Eclipse Special Edition" will be out on May 6th, and that will include the first chapter of Breaking Dawn to be released August 2nd.

Otherwise, I would say pick up Eclipse while you are out there getting New Moon because you will probably move right on to the next book immediately.
    They had just sold out New Moon so now I have to wait for them to order new copies. So I didn't pick up Eclipse either. I will have to wait for about a week for them to get New Moon so hopefully I'll have it soon anyways.

In stead I bought Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Krauss and a book called Twins by Marcy Dermansky. The first one based on the fact that I enjoyed The Nanny Diaries and the second one just based on the writing on the back. So I'm excited about them.

I found Lauren Willig's The Masque of the Black Tulip in the bargain bin at Border's yesterday. I love a good deal! When I got it home, I found out it's a sequel. Now I'm going to have to head back to Border's and get the first book in the series. I was putting a book back on the shelf today and realized that I also have the third book in the series - I got it as an advanced reader copy last year. Luckily, I have a gift card for Border's, so I probably won't spend more than a few bucks on it. Since I'll have three of her books, I really hope she's a good writer!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Some birthday book purchases-

The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter - Matthew Dennison (just released and already getting into it)
    Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales
    Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang - Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok
    On Royalty: A Very Polite Inquiry Into Some Strangely Related Families - Jeremy Paxman
    A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century - Barbara W. Tuchman
    Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China - Jung Chang
    Last edited by pakacat; 02-23-2008 at 11:17 PM.

I recently bought Plainsong and The Time Traveler's Wife. I haven't read Plainsong yet but the other took my heart out and stomped on it repeatedly until my emotions were a quivering, bloody wreck and I just wanted to hold someone. I liked it but I don't think I'll ever be able to read it again without getting severly dehydrated.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Just picked up two books I've been looking forward to reading: The Sorrows of an American by Siri Hustvedt and Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Please post a review of the Hustvedt when you finish it, geek! I read her Mysteries of the Rectangle last fall and loved it. Not an easy read, but really rewarding.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2797319;
    I found Lauren Willig's The Masque of the Black Tulip in the bargain bin at Border's yesterday. I love a good deal! When I got it home, I found out it's a sequel. Now I'm going to have to head back to Border's and get the first book in the series. I was putting a book back on the shelf today and realized that I also have the third book in the series - I got it as an advanced reader copy last year. Luckily, I have a gift card for Border's, so I probably won't spend more than a few bucks on it. Since I'll have three of her books, I really hope she's a good writer!
    You will love her books! The first one The History of the Pink Carnation is awesome. The fourth book in the series The Seduction of the Crimson Rose came out at the end of January.

These are sweet, light fun books. I really like them!

I just picked up "The Rossetti Letter" by Christi Phillips. So far, I really like it. I believe it is the author's first book as well.
    Forever a Word Nerd

+ Reply to Thread