+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

MRD

Re: Your latest book purchases

We all got books for Christmas and it was great.

I got Patches of Godlight and Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon. Her Mitford series has been an alltime favorite of mine and Home to Holly Springs is a new series.

I also got David McCollugh's Truman. It is a fantastic book and I'm glad to own it. I had previously read it through the library. Truman is my favorite US president and the book is very detailed and well researched.

Hubby got Weird Carolina. I urge you all to get the "Weird" book for your state. We were loving looking through it and finding all the "weird" stuff in our area.

Daughter got all 3 books in the Golden Compass series. Walmart had them all bound in the same book for $12.95. Not bad at all. Looking forward to reading it.

I also got a Breath of Snow and Ashes which is the latest (like a year ago) in the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

I got Bad Dogs Have More Fun. Looking forward to reading it. It's by the same guy that wrote Marley and Me.

I got Letters from Nuremburg. Another great book I've already read, but wanted to own.
    Also My Father's Secret War which I am excited about as well.

Life lessons from the dog, which is hysterical. I urge you all with dogs to get it.
    And my husband got A brief history of time and the universe by Stephen Hawking, so he was thrilled.

I plan to spend the cold winter reading. The books I got are fairly large, so they should keep me busy.

And I understand my daughter's bf also got us books, so we'll get those when he gets back from Florida.

It was definetly a bonus Christmas for reading in our house! Gotta love it!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I also got David McCollugh's Truman. It is a fantastic book and I'm glad to own it. I had previously read it through the library. Truman is my favorite US president and the book is very detailed and well researched.
    You will love Truman, it's a great read.

I got The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey.

My niece has a way of talking me into buying young adult books, which after I have read, are passed on to her. Since the Twilight series by our very own Fort member, Stephenie Meyer was a very big hit with me; I decided to fulfill her next request of Uglies, Pretties, and Specials by Scott Westerfeld. While not as engaging (or as addicting) as the Twilight series, I am finding them interesting. I plan to reread some of Georgette Heyer's books then back on the Jane Austin wagon next month.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2734157;
    You will love Truman, it's a great read.

I got The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey.
    I did love it. I read it a while ago, but had gotten it from the library. I wanted my very own copy, so that's why I asked for it for Christmas. I liked the movie version with Gary Sinese too.

My dream vacation (besides cruise ) is to go to Independence, MO to the Truman Library. I love that he used to answer the phone there after it was built and if he was the only one there. You could call and possibly talk to the president.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2734221;
    My dream vacation (besides cruise ) is to go to Independence, MO to the Truman Library. I love that he used to answer the phone there after it was built and if he was the only one there. You could call and possibly talk to the president.
    I hope you get to go someday. My aunt and uncle live in Independence, so I've been to the Truman Library several times. It's well worth the trip.

I missed where you said you had already read the book.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

mrd, you got some AWESOME books! I've read all the Diana Gabaldon books. I'll have to check and see if there is a Weird book for Kansas. I asked for books also for Christmas but we will not open our gifts till this weekend when we will be with my nieces. I usually end up with at least one gift card to the book store. Can't wait!!
    I've been to the Truman Library as well. Although it has been many years, I remember loving it so much.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2734273;
    I hope you get to go someday. My aunt and uncle live in Independence, so I've been to the Truman Library several times. It's well worth the trip.

I missed where you said you had already read the book.
    My grandmother lived in Independence as a child. She was born in Abiliene, KS and her older brothers played with the Eisenhower boys and one of her brothers wrote a story about "growing up with Ike" when he was elected president and it ran in the Saturday Evening Post. I have a copy of it. So I'd like to go there as well and see the Eisenhower Presidential Library.

I love History and I love Truman, so that was one of my better gifts this year, was the book. And I do plan to get to Independence, Mo one of these days.

I've actually been re-reading the Diana Galbaldon Outlander books again. I'm almost finished with the Fiery Cross, so A Breath of Snow and Ashes was timely. I own all of them except that one. I read where there will be more books and the story will finish in 1800. I can't wait.
    And she does a LOT of research. She does bend some things, but I've been studying about the "Regulators" in SC and NC and the info she has written about them is pretty accurate. She is probably one of the few historical writers that gets her details right. But I've always liked the idea of time travel too, so the books were great for me because of the time travel thing and the historical aspect of it.

I just told my neighbor that I will be in hiding most of January reading.

For Christmas I got the "Encyclopedia of Appalachia." It's bigger than a dictionary and will take me ages to read through it, but I can't wait to delve into it. I'm from there and so am fascinated by my much-maligned region and culture. University of Tennessee Press
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2734685;
    For Christmas I got the "Encyclopedia of Appalachia." It's bigger than a dictionary and will take me ages to read through it, but I can't wait to delve into it. I'm from there and so am fascinated by my much-maligned region and culture. University of Tennessee Press
    Lucy, that sounds interesting. I'll have to see if the library has one or if my daughter can get her discount on it at B & N. I am starting a library on South Carolina and Blue Ridge mountain books. Didn't realize I was until I noticed that I have now bought several when I was organizing my books.
    But now living here, I'm enjoying reading about the area. And I have read some interesting things about Appalachian customs and the influence of the Scots-Irish settlers on them.

I hit goodwill today looking for something else and came out of there with 6 more books. 3 hardback and 3 paperback for $3.75. Got to love it. I got a Fredrick Forsythe I never read. It's about Nazi Germany, can't remember the name now. And I got 2 Anne Rivers Siddons books. Lowcountry and Hilltowns. I love her stuff. I also got Midwives which I read several years ago and really liked. And I can't remember the other two.

I am going to be a reading fool what with the book bonanza this week.

Myrosiedog, definitely see if a library has it, because I think it set my mother back $80. It's the first ever effort at an encyclopedia of Appalachia; if you ever did want to buy it, the link is in my previous post. It's big and heavy and very professionally done. I know, from flipping through it, that it has links about the Scots-Irish -- Scottish people who moved to Ulster, I hadn't known that. I was gratified to read in it that some of my own language idioms -- like saying "might could", or similar -- are originally old Scottish ways of speaking.

It has sections about geography (the Appalachians are one of the oldest mountain regions; they used to look like the Rockies or the Andes, and have eroded) and animal life (more species of salamander in the Appalachians than anywhere, I think it said). As someone from Appalachia, I have long felt it my duty to be a missionary of sorts, to tell people I meet that we are in fact a people with a distinct, interesting culture, and not backwards hillbillies with no shoes. Mom bought it for me because my dream is to write stories and/or, eventually, novels about Appalachia, and we thought I'd need a reference book. So if you think of something you're curious about, PM me and I'll see if it's in my lovely encyclopedia and I'll copy it to you.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread