+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2612203;
    My cool "get" of the weekend was the hardcover book about Rome, which is one of my very favorite shows of all time. I was talking to the rep for the publisher and, since it was the end of the last day of the convention and he obviously didn't want to haul it back with him, he just gave it to me! I never would have bought the book, but I was excited to NOT have to buy the book. Lots of good color pictures and some info about the show written by Historian and total stud, Jonathan Stamp.
    Cool deal, Critical!! Can you post back or PM the price that you would have had to pay for it if you weren't such a lucky duck? My sweetie would enjoy that book, but I don't want to pay a small fortune for it, like the DVDs at $80 per season....

Thanks, and happy reading!
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;2669957;
    Cool deal, Critical!! Can you post back or PM the price that you would have had to pay for it if you weren't such a lucky duck? My sweetie would enjoy that book, but I don't want to pay a small fortune for it, like the DVDs at $80 per season....

Thanks, and happy reading!
    Here's a link to the listing on amazon: Amazon.com: Rome: Books: HBO
    The cover price is $30, but amazon has is for just under $20. Definitely worth the price. It's a very nice book. I still haven't bought the second season on DVD. I'm hoping Santa might get the hint
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Great, thank you!!!! Hope Santa reads the FORT! [/threadjack]
    Could does not mean should

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Geek - I really enjoyed The Memory Keeper's Daughter - I think you will too.
    My recent purchases were:

"The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte - I loved this book! Why had I never read it before?

"Sense and Sensibility" "Persuasion" "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen because I thought it was about time I read them for pleasure rather than backing away from them because of awful English teachers back in high school who couldn't enthuse a class for love nor money! I have been enjoying them immensely!

"Brick Lane" by Monica Ali - I'm reading this one right now. About a Bangladeshi woman who is sent to England for an arranged marriage and her slow emergence as a woman who starts thinking and acting for herself. Beautifully written! I believe a movie has just been made from this book?

I have been on a buying and reading spree....and spend all my lunch hour at work in Breuggers with a bowl of fire roasted tomato soup and a good book!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Wow, you bought some great books, Britannia. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is one of my all time favourites. Same goes for all Jane Austen novels, and I thoroughly enjoyed Brick Lane when I read it a few years ago.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

How nice to see you back here, geek!

I rarely buy books, but there is a fabulous bookstore in our city that is selling books at the American price. So I picked up a couple of things for myself - Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, and since I was tired of waiting for Middlesex from the library, I bought myself a copy. Plus, I got a couple of stocking-stuffers for my kids - Please Louise, a new series from Marie-Louise Gay (the author who writes those wonderful stories about Stella and her brother Sam - I never get tired of reading Stella-Fairy of the Forest to my 4-year-old), and the first books in two series for my 8-year-old - The Spiderwick Chronicles and The Sisters Grimm.

By the way, if anyone has kids who have read these series, let me know how they liked them. I think I might have to read The Sisters Grimm on the sly before Christmas, it looks like a great, fun read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2675295;
    How nice to see you back here, geek!
    Aww, thanks, AJane! It's nice to be back. In the last couple of months, hubby and I (and the geek cats, of course) have moved into a new house, redecorated said house and put things, mainly books, into their right place - a fun, but exhausting task, I'm telling you. I also got a new job and to top things off, I have been blessed to do some (low-key, granted, but still) book-related stuff in the media lately, so things have been pretty hectic. I've missed my fellow bookworms at FORT, though.

Fragile Things is Neil Gaiman's latest one, right? The short story collection? I keep meaning to buy that one but it never quite makes it to the top of my priorities, if you know what I mean. I'm anxious to see if he's as gifted a short story writer as a novelist, though.

What with pay day coming up and all, I let myself loose at an online bookstore. Here's what I bought:
    • Learning to Swim by Clare Chambers
    • Little Children and The Wishbones by Tom Perrotta (has anyone read The Abstinence Teacher yet? If not, you definitely should check it out. It's a hilarious and astute take on Middle America today; I enjoyed it immensely.
    • Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk
    • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

So. Many. Great. Reads. On. Their. Way. To. My. House. As. We. Speak!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-22-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Fragile Things is indeed the short story collection. I'm currently working my way through Joyce Carol Oates' Black Girl, White Girl, but I'll post in the What Are You Reading? thread after I finish with the Gaiman collection.

Loved Little Children, and besides your endorsement, geek, I've recently seen a glowing review of The Abstinence Teacher, so I think I'll be looking for that one next.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I want to learn flash game, but know nothing about it so just bought the Beginning Flash Game Programming For Dummies (Paperback). This book is very helpful indeed.

FORT Fogey

Yesterday, I bought "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon and "How to be Good" by Nick Hornby. I started a bit of How to be Good last night, and it sucked me in immediately. Nick Hornby just has a way of writing characters who I feel like I know, and want to know better, from the first page.

+ Reply to Thread