+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Harlan Coben is one of my faves, as well.
    Haven't read Live Wire yet.
    Please do post a review after you read it, Lucynda.
    TIA
    beerbelly likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I recently bought Game of Thrones and i can't WAIT to read the rest of them! It starts out slow but before you know it you're completely hooked!
    Kao, I am almost halfway through GoT, then I have book two on standby. I am loving this book, the characters are vivid and the stories are captivating!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

It's time for another post from me swearing I don't work for bookcloseouts.com! I just love the site so much! They're running a big warehouse clearance sale and thousands of titles are only $1.99:
    BookCloseOuts.com - *Promotions

This site sells remaindered books and excess inventory, which means that some of them have a black mark on the edges. I don't happen to care about that - I like getting a great deal! Now I just have to stay away from the site, so I don't end up spending money on more books!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Funny how some things don't change. I just placed an order for a bunch of books that that site ^^^^ last week. I should go shopping for another hole in my head. I need that as much as I need more books

On that note, has anyone else signed up for Muse Monthly?

Basically, it's a monthly subscription box and each month they send you a new novel and a tin of loose leaf tea that is "curated" to complement the book. It seems like this service was made for me! I just signed up, so I haven't received my first box, but I'm really excited to receive it! I'll report back when I do
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Rent Books | Audio Book CDs - Unlimited Book Rental Services

I used to belong to Booksfree when I was still reading paperbacks. It is a rental site with easy shipping and return. I notice they also offer audio books now as well. I had to stop when my ink allergy got too heavy and ebooks started becoming more prolific.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I would never be able to do a rental service. I'd totally waste my money. Same reason I rarely check out books from the library - I have trouble reading on-demand. I almost always end up paying late fees because I either forget to renew/return the book OR I'm not finished reading it. A lot of times, before I just stopped borrowing, I'd end up taking the book back without reading it!

It's sort of like how I have a Netflix sub for streaming and 1 DVD at home. I get my money's worth with the streaming service, so it makes up for the fact that I get maybe one DVD per month.

My mom has a friend who has an allergy to soy, so she can't read the newspaper - it's printed with soy-based ink. I can't imagine how hard that would be.

FORT Fogey

I agree that having to read on schedule is difficult ....so I buy my books. Just got an e mail that my Amazon shipment is coming today. Getting "The Girl on the Train" in soft cover!!

FORT Fogey

I just purchased City of Mirrors, the last book in Justin Cronin's trilogy. I'm going to check out Muse Monthly, that is so me! Thank you for sharing, Critical.

I don't know how long this coupon will last, but the one in this link got me 10% off my first month: Muse Monthly Subscription Box Review + Coupon – June 2016 | My Subscription Addiction

There's not really any benefit to paying for a longer subscription - you don't get a price break or anything - so I just went with a monthly subscription. I'll try it for a few months and then, if I really like it, I'll pay for 6 months at once.

Just FYI, I think the deadline to order the August box is later this week. I happened to have ordered The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton from bookoutlet.com (previously bookcloseouts) last week, so it's a funny coincidence that the August book is her new one, The Muse!

WooHOO! Got a big bunch of books! My order from bookoutlet.com arrived!

I got 14 titles, including fluffy stuff like How to Tie a Scarf: 33 Styles and Paris in the Belle Epoque, which is actually a box of 3D cards with images of Belle Epoque (my favorite time period in history!) Paris and a stereoscopic viewer. Oh, and Courtney Robertson's I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends (already finished it!) and Shannon Hale's Austenland because I loved the movie. I also got Paul Auster's Invisible and Sharon Kay Penman's A King's Ransom, the sequel to Lionheart, which was about Richard's last years. Two about Paris: How Paris Became Paris: The Invention of the Modern City by Joan Dejean and In Montmartre: Picasso, Matisse and the Birth of Modernist Art by Sue Roe.

I also bought a few gifts for friends. The prices are so good, I couldn't help myself! It's a great place to buy books for my book club. I always buy the books for everyone, so I often buy direct from publishers, but bookoutlet has great deals. One of our titles was only $2.99 this time! That's for a new paperback.
    Arielflies likes this.

+ Reply to Thread