+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

MRD

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3795502;
    It's in my stack of books to read. I bought it a few years ago and it got lost in the piles of books. One of these days....
    Howard Zinn passed away today. As we were just discussing "A People's History of the United States", I thought I would just say that the article about him is in the Rest in Peace thread.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thought, just for fun, I would revisit some old favorites of mine~ Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, and Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner. And of course, all things, Austen. What would a summer be like without~ Mr. Darcy Oh, one more, the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn...

"A Complicated Kindness" by Miriam Toews.... I highly recommend it. It is written in a different style but very well done.

The Possessed: Adventures With Russian Books and the People Who Read Them by Elif Bautman. I read a review a while ago and was intrigued. When I came across it in a store today, I grabbed it. Can't wait to finish what I'm reading now so I can start this one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In case anyone is interested, bookcloseouts.com is having another $1.99 fiction sale: BookCloseouts.com - The Bestseller in Bargain Books
    The sale ends tomorrow night at midnight. They also have children's educational titles for $.99.

I rarely find a title I'm looking for when I go there, but I always find something good! I had to force myself to NOT start browsing the sale titles - I have enough books waiting to be read, so don't need to add to the pile!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3894860;
    I had to force myself to NOT start browsing the sale titles - I have enough books waiting to be read, so don't need to add to the pile!
    Yeah, so that didn't really work out I've got at least 15 books in my cart right now and I'm just halfway through the list of sale titles. In my defense, there's some really good stuff on sale! I got a few Faye Kellerman's I haven't read, a few of the Casa Dracula series by Marta Acosta and some other great stuff. They even have the wonderful I Capture the Castle for $1.99. If I didn't already have it, I'd buy it now!

The last time I bought from them, this code worked for free shipping. It might work again:
    Coupon Number: freeshipping
    Coupon Password: bookcloseouts.com

Okay, I'm slightly embarrassed that I keep posting in this thread. I waited a while to see if anyone else would post....

I just got another email from bookcloseouts.com and they're having another fiction sale - $1.99 for paperbacks, $2.99 for hardcovers.

The last time they had a fiction sale, I got a ton of books and the total, with shipping was about $60. Here's the list from my last order with them. (I'm writing this stuff down, so I can check them off when I've read them....it's my way of justifying the purchase! ):

Letters from Yellowstone – Diane Smith
    Pictures from an Expedition – Diane Smith (HC)
    Birds in Fall – Brad Kessler
    Midnight Brunch – Marta Acosta
    Happy Hour at Casa Dracula – Marta Acosta
    Over Her Dead Body – Kate White
    The Friendship Test – Elizabeth Noble
    The Bellini Madonna – Elizabeth Lowry (HC)
    The Rossetti Letter – Christi Phillips (HC)
    The Forgery of Venus – Michael Gruber (HC)
    The Mercury Visions of Louis Daguerre – Dominic Smith (HC)
    Free Food for Millionaires - Min Jin Lee
    Curse of the Spellmans – Lisa Lutz
    The Spellman Files – Lisa Lutz
    Cold Case – Faye Kellerman
    Blindman’s Bluff – Faye Kellerman (HC)
    The Book Boy – Joanna Trollope
    The God of Spring – Arabella Edge (HC)
    The Street of a Thousand Blossoms – Gail Tsukiyama (HC)
    Mr. Emerson’s Wife – Amy Belding Brown
    The Crimson Portrait – Jody Shields
    The Archivist – Martha Cooley
    The Italian Lover – Robert Hellenga (HC)
    The Limehouse Text – Will Thomas
    Liszt’s Kiss – Susanne Dunlap

I recently bought The Hunger Games trilogy after reading so many raves about them here . I'm also excited about the movie. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was great in The Winter Bone so all in all it sounds really promising...

Kao

I recently bought Game of Thrones and i can't WAIT to read the rest of them! It starts out slow but before you know it you're completely hooked!

Fort Member

Live Wire by Harlan Coben
    He is one of my favourite authors and Myron Bolitar is probably my most favourite characters and I am so looking forward to this weekend when I have an empty house a comfy chair and a nice bottle of wine to drink while i devour the book in two days and then be mighty annoyed that I will ahve to wait another year for the next one.
    Still I will enjoy every minute of it
    Also picked up A perfect Death by Kate Ellis to some what relief the feeling of loneliness until Myron reappears as Wesley Peterson is my second most favourite character

+ Reply to Thread