+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

I spent a frenzied 30 minutes this afternoon dumping book after book into my shopping cart at Book Close Outs this afternoon. I ended up with 11 books and only paid about $64 including shipping! I got a few NYC tour guides, since I'm hoping to get a trip in next spring, as well as a bunch of other books about NY and its history. I honestly can't even remember all of them. Will post when I get my order. I love shopping online. When the package comes, it's like Christmas! Speaking of Christmas, I started my shopping officially today by buying a book called Sunday Money about Nascar, for my brother. My goal is to finish my shopping by December 1.

I also bought a book at work today called The Grand Tour, which is an architectural tour of the world by country. It has all of the major structures of every style and every time period. I bought one for my parents too since they're going on a trip to Greece, Turkey and Egypt in a few months. I know it'll be a book I pick up constantly, just to browse through. In case anyone's interested, here's the listing on amazon: Amazon.com: The Grand Tour (Taschen 25th Anniversary): Books: Harry Seidler. It's 576 pages and Amazon is only charging $10.39 - definitely a great deal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I went online and ordered two books I've been meaning to read for a long time, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Can't wait for them to arrive!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Okay, so maybe technically this should be titled book aquisitions since I didn't pay for any of these.....

Last weekend, my boss and I went to the annual booksellers convention in Oakland and I got my fill of free books! I don't even have the full list with me and I honestly haven't heard of most of the authors. The point of having advance reader copies at these events seems to be to get booksellers to read the work relatively unknown authors. I ended up with a few dozen books, all of which haven't been released yet in hardcover. The one I'm looking forward to the most right now is Alice Sebold's new one, which comes out this week. She was the big deal name at the convention, along with Alice Walker (it was an Alice kind of weekend).

My cool "get" of the weekend was the hardcover book about Rome, which is one of my very favorite shows of all time. I was talking to the rep for the publisher and, since it was the end of the last day of the convention and he obviously didn't want to haul it back with him, he just gave it to me! I never would have bought the book, but I was excited to NOT have to buy the book. Lots of good color pictures and some info about the show written by Historian and total stud, Jonathan Stamp.

So now I have a whole huge pile of books to read....as if I didn't have enough already!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member

I'm a little behind on this but yesterday I bought Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. I started reading Twilight last night and have hardly been able to put it down.

Just bought Cottage Cheese Cookbook: 101 Recipes with Cottage Cheese .

FORT Newbie

Hey last weekend I bought the Harry Potter Boxset Books 1-7 (Hardcover) for $117 in dealstudio.com ,seems a little expensive but I like it very much I will put it as a special collection .

I'm with Marleybone, a bit late but I bought Twilight. It'll be next in my reading pile. I only bought the first book, as I haven't gotten a paycheck yet, but if I like it, the other ones will follow. And, by description of many FORTers, the books are good, so the two others will probably be bought and read in the future as well

Marleybone and femme fatale - I can't wait to hear what you thought about Twilight. I read the series back-to-back recently and it sucked me right in.
    Count your blessings!

I just bought (and finished) Twilight... read it in a couple of days. I loved it, totally compelling and I can't wait to read New Moon and Eclipse.

For my birthday I got Doris Lessing's The grass is singing. I think it'll be the first time I will read a Nobel Prize winner as close to their winning. But that'll be after Twilight, my new books go in my "to read"-pile in chronological order.

+ Reply to Thread