+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

MRD

Re: Your latest book purchases

I've read Coulter before. She's ok. What a nice thing for them to do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795828;
    I've read Coulter before. She's ok. What a nice thing for them to do.
    I guess I'm glad I didn't buy it, then.

They were really thrilled that we had this big Christmas luncheon for them and gave them $25 TJ's gift certificates. The libraries out here are all on furlough days and the staff is very concerned / worried due to CA's declining budget.
    It was a very lovely thing for them to do.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3795837;
    I guess I'm glad I didn't buy it, then.

They were really thrilled that we had this big Christmas luncheon for them and gave them $25 TJ's gift certificates. The libraries out here are all on furlough days and the staff is very concerned / worried due to CA's declining budget.
    It was a very lovely thing for them to do.
    Ours are on furlough days here too.

I try to buy a lot of books from the Friends of teh Library shop as it really does help the library.

Probably 75% of my reading material comes from the library, so I try to support them as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795972;
    Ours are on furlough days here too.

I try to buy a lot of books from the Friends of teh Library shop as it really does help the library.

Probably 75% of my reading material comes from the library, so I try to support them as often as I can.
    Thank you for doing so.
    We Friends are very happy when people support us.
    I didn't realize other states are having as many problems as we are. I sure hope it improves for everyone.

I picked up a copy of Shutter Island - I read it a while back, loved it, and am waiting eagerly for the movie...the trailers look promising. I want to re-read it before I go see the film.

I also got Kevin Smith's My Boring Ass Life for a change of pace - love this guy's movies and I'm looking forward to laughing my ass off while reading this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3796018;
    Thank you for doing so.
    I didn't realize other states are having as many problems as we are. I sure hope it improves for everyone.
    I don't think there is a single state without a budget problem and things like libraries seem to get hit first.

Love Kevin Smith. Let me know how the book is.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3796187;
    I picked up a copy of Shutter Island - I read it a while back, loved it, and am waiting eagerly for the movie...the trailers look promising. I want to re-read it before I go see the film.

I also got Kevin Smith's My Boring Ass Life for a change of pace - love this guy's movies and I'm looking forward to laughing my ass off while reading this.
    AJane,

I've read all of Lehane's books - I discovered him yers before he became popular - and Shutter Island was the only 1 that I actually disliked. I am hoping, though, that Scorcese - 1 of my favorite directors - will make me want to see the movie.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3796018;
    Thank you for doing so.
    I live in a suburb of Toronto, Ontario; only one city block north of the city-proper and our library is closing down for a year! It is just across the street from me and I (not to mention my son with autism) will miss it so much.

These cutbacks suck!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

MRD

That's a shame Elk. Is it for budget reasons? Our local branch did that to renovate. I hated having to drive across town during the construction. Sad thing is, I didn't think that they improved it all that much. In fact the "new releases" section was worse and that is my favorite section.

We have a gigantic new "used" book store. It carries mostly hardbacks,so it's not a paperback book exchange. Although they do exchanges. It also has CD's, DVDS, etc.
    They also apparantly get overstocks.
    The cookbook section was fabulous. And they had a whole display of brand new cookbooks (the overstock stuff).
    But most books (hardbacks) were in the $3-$4 range.
    The new cookbooks were slightly higher, but nothing I saw was over $14.
    I am going to HAVE to stay out of there. Can't read for pleasure at the moment.
    But the good news was that I got 3 books for school there and the most expensive one was $4.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3799603;
    That's a shame Elk. Is it for budget reasons? Our local branch did that to renovate. I hated having to drive across town during the construction. Sad thing is, I didn't think that they improved it all that much. In fact the "new releases" section was worse and that is my favorite section.

We have a gigantic new "used" book store. It carries mostly hardbacks,so it's not a paperback book exchange. Although they do exchanges. It also has CD's, DVDS, etc.
    They also apparantly get overstocks.
    The cookbook section was fabulous. And they had a whole display of brand new cookbooks (the overstock stuff).
    But most books (hardbacks) were in the $3-$4 range.
    The new cookbooks were slightly higher, but nothing I saw was over $14.
    I am going to HAVE to stay out of there. Can't read for pleasure at the moment.
    But the good news was that I got 3 books for school there and the most expensive one was $4.

OOoooo, myrosiedog...wish I lived in your neighbourhood. I could spend days in a used book store and I love cookbooks.

When I first heard of the closure, it was stated it was for budgetary reasons but it looks like they'll be doing renovations, too. Still, one year is so very long to wait.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread