+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3769528;
    I just bought and started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It is pretty good so far and everything I have heard about the series has been positive so I'm really looking forward to it.
    Me. too...on the recommendation of a friend. I've just started and so far its reading from the "wife's" point of view. I hope it changes to her husband at some point...but...we'll see.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3776000;
    Wow, that is a huge list of books for a great price!! I need to go back to bookcloseouts and see if they have anything on my list.

I have done a bunch of Christmas shopping on Amazon this year and ended up buying a few books from my wishlist to avoid shipping charges:
    The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou (Modern Library) - Maya Angelou
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    Her Fearful Symmetry: A Novel - Audrey Niffenegger
    The Case for God - Karen Armstrong
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontė

I'm so excited, I don't know where to begin!! I think I'm going to start The Help this afternoon since I have heard so many good things about it in the "what are you reading" thread!
    Great starting point, except if you have things to do. It draws you in and holds you...and then when you're ready for your next read, you might have trouble finding something that is AS good, and that can be disappointing. But that's OK, too, because it will give you time to ruminate over what you have read.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3775179;
    Okay, I guess this isn't a purchase, per se, but more of an acquisition. Anyway....
    I just opened my front door to find a box containing the new Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey sent to me by the publisher rep. I love free books!

This isn't one of the Thursday Next series or a nursery rhyme book. I know his recent books haven't been on par with his earlier ones, but this one is getting good buzz.
    I just bought this book yesterday (no free copies being sent to me - you lucky duck!) I've read a few chapters. It's interesting so far. As usual Fforde has set up an alternative-type world - in this instance the world is organized according to colour with everyone being assigned a colour based on their perception of hue, and their place in society being determined according to their assigned colour.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I just received a copy of The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming from a publisher rep. I've heard good things, but I have no idea when I'll find time to read it or any of the other hundreds of books around here!

As if I didn't have enough to read, I just got The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and American Eve by Paula Uruburu, which I've been wanting to read for a while. The subtitle of it is "Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, The Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century"
    Here's the write-up from Publisher's Weekly:
    Uruburu, an associate professor of English at Hofstra who has consulted for the History Channel, examines the notorious life of model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit (1885?–1967), whose rise to stardom was as spectacular as her subsequent fall. Born in rural Pennsylvania, Florence Evelyn Nesbit was an exceedingly pretty infant who by 15 had achieved success as an actress and model in New York City, where her blend of sultry sexuality and unspoiled purity attracted the eye of famed architect and playboy Stanford White. But Pittsburgh heir and sexual sadist Harry K. Thaw wanted Nesbit for himself and vowed to expose White's immoral conduct with underage girls. Thaw went on to brutally rape and beat Nesbit, yet she agreed to marry him. Still consumed with jealousy, Thaw shot White to death in 1906, leading to a headline-grabbing trial. Uruburu's depiction of Nesbit's early life and career is richly detailed, but the book loses steam near the end and barely addresses Nesbit's post-trial tailspin into alcoholism. Still, readers will appreciate the parallels between Nesbit's It Girl status and our own celebrity-obsessed culture.
    The book involves events from one of my favorite time periods and one of my favorite cities, so I hope the part where the book "loses steam" is not a big deal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't buy this one either - my mom bought it, read it and then gave it to me, but it's still a new acquisition:
    Read My Pins by Madeleine Albright. I saw her on Craig Ferguson's show a while back and was so charmed by her descriptions of the book that I really wanted to read it....so I talked it up to my mother who bought it! I didn't realize she was going to give it to me - I just thought I'd get to read it!

Basically, it's a kind of coffee table art book / history of her diplomatic life as it involved the lapel pins she wore mainly throughout her time as Secretary of State. The pins vary from dime store finds to hugely expensive diamond-encrusted pieces. She chose the pin based on the occasion or what was going on politically or how she was feeling. It's currently sitting on my coffee table. I'm waiting for a day when it's raining and I have nowhere to go, so I can put on a pot of tea and my pjs and read it in one sitting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This sounds like my kind of book!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3793775;
    This sounds like my kind of book!
    It's a really beautiful book, 'shay. I will say that, at $40, it's not something I would have bought for myself. Soon though, I'm sure there will be plenty of used copies on Amazon, so you could get it for a lot less. Heck, it's probably already cheap new on Amazon!

It's made me want to read Albright's autobiography. I think she's just a really cool lady who's lead an interesting life. I knew I liked her after she did that cameo on Gilmore Girls!

MRD

A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

This book should be required reading for every U.S. Citizen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795486;
    A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

This book should be required reading for every U.S. Citizen.
    It's in my stack of books to read. I bought it a few years ago and it got lost in the piles of books. One of these days....

At our Library Board meeting last night, the staff told the Sr. Librarian that they were so thankful with our generous support of them with holiday gifts, etc. that they assembled a table with some new book arrivals that were ours for the taking!! Woo Hoo...how lovely!!

Two of the books I was able to get were by Martha Grimes and Catherine Coulter. Both seem to be bestseller authors, but I'm not familiar with either.
    Does anyone read / recommend them?
    The 3rd was Jonathan Kellerman and I've read just about everything he's written.
    TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread