+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Just bought "Brangelina" by Ian Halperin and "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton. Lots of good reading ahead of me this week!

It's a few years old, but I just read "Blink" by Malcomb Gladwell. I've often wondered how/why I instantly "just know" a decision is right, and this fast read sheds a lot of light on what I now know really is a "process" not a "snap decision". Don't skip the intro about the Greek kouros.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3760280;
    Just bought "Brangelina" by Ian Halperin and "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton. Lots of good reading ahead of me this week!
    Love the Sue Grafton alphabet series! I'll look for th "U" installment - thanks for the tip.

I really must stay away from bookcloseouts.com. I just bought 22 books and spent about $50. Most titles were between $1.99 and $2.49. I did some Christmas shopping but, really, most of them were for me. Like I need more books....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have 67 books currently waiting on my to-be-read shelf, but with the holidays upon us and a week and a day of free time, I decided to purchase The Dome, The Year of Living Biblically and John Hodgman's More Information Than You Require. I generally tend to take humour books out of the library as opposed to purchasing them, but I love John Hodgman and this looks like it might be a suitable bathroom book.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My order from bookcloseouts came today! It always feel like Christmas opening that big box of books!
    Here's the list:
    The Lighting Keeper - Starling Lawrence - written by the editor-in-chief of W.W. Norton with a cover quote from Harper Lee. I guess it pays to have friends in high places! I've read his previous novel, Montenegro and really enjoyed it.
    Bandbox Thomas Mallon
    An Inconvenient Wife Megan Chance
    Sister Noon Karen Joy Fowler
    Flesh and Blood Michael Cunningham - I realized after I took it out of the box that I already own this one - duh. At least it was only $1.49.
    Strivers Row
    Kevin Baker
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Roy Hansen
    From Time to Time Jack Finney - I've read it before, but don't own it and really wanted to read it again....and again!
    Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler Joe Queenan
    True Believers Joe Queenan
    Courtesan Dora Levy Mossanen
    Mrs. Kimble Jennifer Haigh - on the recommendation of several FoRTers
    Baker Towers Jennifer Haigh
    The Gift Pete Hamill
    Snow in August Pete Hamill
    Forgery Sabina Murray
    Belle Weather Celia Rivenbark - someone here recommended Rivenbark - was it MRD?
    Dancer Colum McCann - about Rudolph Nureyev
    Zoli Colum McCann
    The Vesuvius Club Mark Gatiss
    Achilles Elizabeth Cook
    The Frequency of Souls Mary Kay Zuravleff

They're all stacked up on my desk right now and they look so pretty I still can't believe that whole list cost me around $50.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is just something about books! Preferably hardbacks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just bought and started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It is pretty good so far and everything I have heard about the series has been positive so I'm really looking forward to it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Okay, I guess this isn't a purchase, per se, but more of an acquisition. Anyway....
    I just opened my front door to find a box containing the new Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey sent to me by the publisher rep. I love free books!

This isn't one of the Thursday Next series or a nursery rhyme book. I know his recent books haven't been on par with his earlier ones, but this one is getting good buzz.

Wow, that is a huge list of books for a great price!! I need to go back to bookcloseouts and see if they have anything on my list.

I have done a bunch of Christmas shopping on Amazon this year and ended up buying a few books from my wishlist to avoid shipping charges:
    The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou (Modern Library) - Maya Angelou
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    Her Fearful Symmetry: A Novel - Audrey Niffenegger
    The Case for God - Karen Armstrong
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

I'm so excited, I don't know where to begin!! I think I'm going to start The Help this afternoon since I have heard so many good things about it in the "what are you reading" thread!

+ Reply to Thread