+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3693965;
    ahhmmmm.........
    just want to ask.....
    is it an ADVENTIST book?????
    Sorry, call me obtuse, but what's an "adventist book"?

This book is just a book written by an ex-smoker himself, who developed a kickin' method of helping people to stop smoking. His success rate is around 90% - versus "cold turkey" which is about 10%. That's about it.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain".

"Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate!"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Luckypants;3700396;
    Sorry, call me obtuse, but what's an "adventist book"?

This book is just a book written by an ex-smoker himself, who developed a kickin' method of helping people to stop smoking. His success rate is around 90% - versus "cold turkey" which is about 10%. That's about it.
    adventist is a religion...
    we have lots of books about how to stop smoking...

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3700612;

Oh no, it's not religious at all. It does save lives however.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain".

"Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate!"

Quote Originally Posted by Luckypants;3701304;
    Oh no, it's not religious at all. It does save lives however.
    Lucky,
    I'm very glad it worked for you.
    We took the seminar and it didn't work for us, nor for some others there.
    We did end up doing it on our own.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3700612;
    ahhh.....
    can i ask???
    who is the author????

I can't believe it's time for me to post about this again, but I've just come home from the booksellers' trade show, where I got dozens of new books. I won't do a full list here since it's slightly offensive. I feel like a glutton! Among the titles I got are Richard Russo's new book, Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals, the latest by Elizabeth Kostova, the new collection of Sookie Stackhouse stories, the new one from Julie Powell (of Julie and Julia fame), the next book from the woman who wrote Eat, Pray, Love and the new Pete Dexter. The highlight for me was the author breakfast where we got to hear Russo, Foer and another author, Timothy Egan, talk about their new books. We also got signed copies of the books. Richard Russo is a big hero of mine, so I was thrilled to get to meet him.

It'll take me a year to read all of these books and I'll be posting about them in the "What are you reading?" thread!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member

Crit, you lucky girl, were you able to get Eric in pink spandex too.

ETA: I just got Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan and Libba Bray's "Going Bovine" I really do like YA fiction, even though I am far from that.

This is absurd in light of my last post in this thread, but I got a pile of new books this week. I broke down and bought Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and John Irving's new one, Last Night in Twisted River.

I also got a bunch from Amazon used, including one by Lauren Willig - it's the latest in her French Resistance spy novels. I got three cookbooks, including The New Spanish Table, which has me salivating. I bought Pete Hamill's autobiographical Downtown: My Manhattan and his North River. I also got The King's English by Betsy Burton, which is kind of the adventures of an indie bookseller. I actually did buy some things for Christmas gifts too...they weren't ALL for me
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just purchased Kathy Griffin's book - love the title - "Official Book Club Selection". Will post after I'm done reading. I really enjoy her stand-up, and a big part of me is just dying to read the dish about the break-up of her marriage.

Reading over my post before clicking on submit, I feel like such a horrible person... but I just can't help the part of me that loves celeb gossip.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Just bought "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby last week. Finished it in a couple of days. Like Nick Hornby a lot. I loved High Fidelity, About a Boy and Slam.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

+ Reply to Thread