+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

The Library that I'm on the board of has their sale 2x a year. Even so, we have people complain about the prices. They seem to think hardcover at $1 and paperback at 2 or 3 for $1 is way too much. And what kills us is that its always the people who can most afford to buy who complain the most.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3529797;
    The Library that I'm on the board of has their sale 2x a year. Even so, we have people complain about the prices. They seem to think hardcover at $1 and paperback at 2 or 3 for $1 is way too much. And what kills us is that its always the people who can most afford to buy who complain the most.
    I've found that to be the case. At my last job, the big donors always asked multiple times if they were getting their correct discount.

The used bookstore run by the city library here has a whole room full of books that are priced at $1 - it's like book heaven! Considering that paperbacks are now, what, $8.99, $1 is a steal!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think earlier in the day it was hard covers for $1 and paperbacks 50 cents, but we happened to arrive at the tail end as they were about to haul all the boxes of books back into the basement until who knows when and they just wanted to get rid of them. When I got home and really looked at what I had thrown in the bag on the fly, I was excited that I got what look like good books that I'll really enjoy
    Count your blessings!

The library booksale had nothing good by the time I got there last week. However, Chapters did have a 4-for-3 sale, so I picked up Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups and a copy of The Reader - can't wait for that damn library list - and my older daughter got Inkdeath (she just couldn't wait for the paperback release) and the first book of a newer series called Gone, which sounded interesting. I'll likely read it after she finishes.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

'Branded By Fire' by Nalini Singh the latest in her Psy/Changeling series. Finished it in 2 days.

If you like paranormal/urban fantasy this is a great addition to your reading list.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3529437;
    This probably belongs in the kids said thread but it's just so much more appropriate for we book junkies.. M and I were at the public library today and she says "mom, I think without air and books we would surely die" LOl yay! the kid finally inherited one of my better traits!

I was there to pick up The School of Essential Ingredients" by Erica Bauermeister. It looks similar to Jane Austen Book Club or Friday Night Knitting Club but set in a cooking class.
    Wow, sounds like you have another Jane Austin inside her! Good for her and good for you - I love to see kids with a passion for books!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Thanks to bearcata's suggestion, I've ordered the first 4 books in the Dark Carpathian series by Christine Feehan. Got a sweet deal on amazon too. 4 for 3 sale and free shipping! I'm set for, oh, a couple weeks at least (I read FAST!)

Thanks again!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3529769;
    My Little Sister and I went to a local library book sale today and for $1 we filled a brown grocery bag with books and are stocked up for summer reading. I've been daily talking myself out of a Kindle and this kind of bargain makes me realize I don't really need one.
    Be very careful about buying Amazon's Kindle. There is all kinds of controversy regarding their ability to wipe out any book you have purchased with the push of a button. It seems they were selling a George Orwell book (I believe) that they didn't have clearance to sell electronically and they casually went thru and wiped out the book from all the Kindles of all the people who had bought the book. Without notifying the buyers ahead of time. It just disappeared from their readers. Talk about an Orwellian world!

Today, at Half Price Books:

The second and third books in the Princess Diaries series (yes, I'm still young enough to enjoy them)
    Sit, Stay, Slay-a funny mystery
    Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like A Skank and We're Just Like You, Only Prettier-two books of essays and words of wisdom from a "slightly tarnished" Southern belle. I highly recommend these, in the first book she talks about trips to Disney and how the 7-16 girls section in clothing stores is basically like the juniors section, as well as being a ballet mom and PTA fundraising.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I took a trip to the used book store run by the city library and came home with some great deals. For under $20, I got 3 hardcovers, including Jennifer Weiner's latest and one of the Dexter books. I also got Something New on DVD and 4 paperbacks - one by Ridley Pearson, something by Greg Iles, one by the author of The Nanny Diaries and Cormac McCarthy's The Road. All of the paperbacks were $1 each. That should keep me in reading material for at least a week!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread