+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3511402;
    Critical - is bookcloseouts.com a better deal than the used books you can purchase on Amazon.com? They have always been my source. Thanks.
    I suppose it depends on how many books you're buying. Unless you buy the used books on Amazon from a seller whose books get fulfilled by Amazon, you're paying separate shipping on all of them. With bookcloseouts, you pay one shipping charge. I generally pay for the slowest shipping method to keep down costs, so it usually comes to around $10 and I buy at least 6 or 7 books each time. I still buy from Amazon used too, because they tend to have newer titles.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Does anyone here have a Kindle? I'm sooooo tempted to buy one, but I'd like to hear from someone who has one already to know how much you use it, ease of use, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3511790;
    I suppose it depends on how many books you're buying. Unless you buy the used books on Amazon from a seller whose books get fulfilled by Amazon, you're paying separate shipping on all of them. With bookcloseouts, you pay one shipping charge. I generally pay for the slowest shipping method to keep down costs, so it usually comes to around $10 and I buy at least 6 or 7 books each time. I still buy from Amazon used too, because they tend to have newer titles.
    I've found that if you want to get a book in hardcover it is best to buy them online versus in the store. They are usually considerably cheaper online for some reason and most places have free shipping over a certain amount. Barnes and Noble.com is my fav. because if you buy 25.00 worth of books shipping is free.

I just started The Host by Stephenie Meyer. So far it is pretty twisted but I kind of like it. When I think of alien stories the last thing that comes to mind is romance, but it works with this story.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3511216;
    FYI Folks! I just got an email from bookcloseouts.com and they're having HUGE sales.
    Thx for the tip Critical! I found four books that had been on my Amazon list for a long time and the total cost was significantly less, even after factoring in the shipping charge! One of them even had a comment that it was signed by the author!

I picked up:
    Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon--Survival of Bodily Death - Raymond Moody
    The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    Naked in the Promised Land: A Memoir - Lillian Faderman
    What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy - Gregory Maguire

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3511790;
    Yes, the S/H charges can get you, but I try and find stores affiliated with Amazon and shop their stuff. Thanks for the bookcloseouts tip.

I now know what your avi is all about. I just watched the first 4 episodes of True Blood last night. I'd heard way to much about this series. I love it. It's Twin Peaks meets freaky bayou vamps. Very quirky, sexy, bizarre and intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by abrocks22;3516821;
    Chasing Harry Winston
    Bergdorf Blondes
    Tuesdays with Morrie

i realize the last one is sort of random but what can i say i like my chiclit and my tear jerkers :0
    One of the best books of all time IMO. Now I may need to go read it again since you've put it on my mind!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

A huge stack of books at Half Price Books-my mum and I will go once a month or so and get a bunch of their $1 clearance books. We got 25 books last time between us for under $25.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

This probably belongs in the kids said thread but it's just so much more appropriate for we book junkies.. M and I were at the public library today and she says "mom, I think without air and books we would surely die" LOl yay! the kid finally inherited one of my better traits!

I was there to pick up The School of Essential Ingredients" by Erica Bauermeister. It looks similar to Jane Austen Book Club or Friday Night Knitting Club but set in a cooking class.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My Little Sister and I went to a local library book sale today and for $1 we filled a brown grocery bag with books and are stocked up for summer reading. I've been daily talking myself out of a Kindle and this kind of bargain makes me realize I don't really need one.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3529769;
    My Little Sister and I went to a local library book sale today and for $1 we filled a brown grocery bag with books and are stocked up for summer reading. I've been daily talking myself out of a Kindle and this kind of bargain makes me realize I don't really need one.
    My hometown library does sales like a few times a year. I used to LOVE getting such great bargains! You can hardly NOT fill a bag with something for that price!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread