+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

I just received my latest order from bookcloseouts.com, which included:

The Portland Vase by Robin Brooks
    The Grove Book of Art Writing
    Pack Up the Moon by Anna McPartlin
    a book about John Singer Sargent (one of my favorite artists)
    and The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi, which I have been dying to read. I opened the box and found that it was a large print edition No mention of this in the listing and I don't think I can take that GIANT print. Poo. I'm hoping they'll return without any fuss. I really want to read this book!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3449192;
    I just received my latest order from bookcloseouts.com, which included:

The Portland Vase by Robin Brooks
    The Grove Book of Art Writing
    Pack Up the Moon by Anna McPartlin
    a book about John Singer Sargent (one of my favorite artists)
    and The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi, which I have been dying to read. I opened the box and found that it was a large print edition No mention of this in the listing and I don't think I can take that GIANT print. Poo. I'm hoping they'll return without any fuss. I really want to read this book!
    Wow!When you place an online order you make it count! I am making a Barnes and Noble visit tomorrow and I have no idea yet what I am going to bring home (that usually means I am going to end up with a few bags and a big dent in my checking account). Hopefully I will find something good.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3449239;
    Wow!When you place an online order you make it count! I am making a Barnes and Noble visit tomorrow and I have no idea yet what I am going to bring home (that usually means I am going to end up with a few bags and a big dent in my checking account). Hopefully I will find something good.
    I can only shop like that at bookcloseouts.com because their prices are so good. That order cost less than $30 and that's only because The Monster of Florence cost $6.49! The other books were all under $5 (one was $2.49!)
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3449352;
    I can only shop like that at bookcloseouts.com because their prices are so good. That order cost less than $30 and that's only because The Monster of Florence cost $6.49! The other books were all under $5 (one was $2.49!)
    THat is quite a deal. Do they offer new books at these prices, too, or is it just the older books?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3449352;
    That's great! I am definately going to have to check it out!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3449384;
    THat is quite a deal. Do they offer new books at these prices, too, or is it just the older books?
    They sell remaindered books, so they aren't brand new titles, but I always find something there that I "need." I find that, if I go there looking for something specific, I won't find it, but if I just browse around, I come across lots of things I want.

I have started to go back to the library. I find it's just not feasible for me to spend a bunch on money on books that I will read & then will become clutter in my house. That being said, I did just buy Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. The library didn't have it. I started it, but I find the P&P part hard to swallow, so I only read about 10-12 pages at a time.
    I stopped at the library at lunch & picked up Michael Crichton's Timeline. I think after I read this I will have read most of his books.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3449546;
    They sell remaindered books, so they aren't brand new titles, but I always find something there that I "need." I find that, if I go there looking for something specific, I won't find it, but if I just browse around, I come across lots of things I want.
    THanks for the info. They are good prices.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FYI Folks! I just got an email from bookcloseouts.com and they're having HUGE sales. I spent way too much time browsing the site today and saw books for as low as $1.75. They have a bunch that are around $1.99 and others that are 50% off the discounted price, which makes them around 70 - 75% off. I like to say that the site is sort of like a big, disorganized used bookstore: you rarely find what you're looking for but if you spend some time, you'll always find something good.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Critical - is bookcloseouts.com a better deal than the used books you can purchase on Amazon.com? They have always been my source. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread