+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Woo hoo for a book buying spree! I read Zinn's book in college and found it more interesting than my usual textbooks. It's been enough years now that I can't really remember any details, though.

I picked up a copy of Ender's Game yesterday to see what all the fuss was about.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I just got my pay check, so I went straight to the nearest bookstore and picked up a few new babies. Mind you, as far as book-related shopping sprees go, this one was a fairly mild one.

- The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Has anyone read it? I really like the premise of it, and it came highly praised by the likes of Jodi Picoult.
    - On Trying to Keep Still by Jenny Diski
    - The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox. This one grabbed my attention for several reasons: 1. It takes place in 19th century London (yes, I have a bit of a hangup on the Victorian era...). 2. I liked the cover. 3. Michael Cox landed a £500,000 book deal and has created a major buzz well before the publishing date, so I want to see what all the fuss was about. Has anyone read it?
    - Angel Falls by Kristin Hannah. I love her books - they make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

My library had a sale - $2 for a whole bag of books, and I got some doozies!

Not including the ones for my daughter, I got:
    • Pride and Prejudice
    • Animal Farm
    • Lord of the Flies
    • Wind in the Willows
    • Washington Irving Stories
    • Tenessee Williams Plays

I also got a Diane Mott-Davidson and an Elizabeth George. I've not read those two before; any opinions?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Oh, elk, I love those library sales! We have one coming up in September, and hopefully I'll run across some great finds, too!

I've read one or two by Elizabeth George - if I'm remembering correctly, she writes mysteries featuring an English inspector - can't recall the character's name. Not bad.

The other author is unfamiliar to me.

I like Elizabeth George a lot, her mysteries are very well-written, imo. Several have been adapted for TV and shown on PBS' "Mystery" series -- the main character is Inspector Lynley, Remote Goddess.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

elk

Thanks Lucy and Remote Goddess. I will look forward to reading Elizabeth George after I finish the library pile beside my bed. That seems to be a never ending supply, though. I am almost finished Middlesex and I love it!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Treated myself to a little Amazon book shopping a few days ago, ordered Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future by Peter Ward and The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives. Have a bunch more saved in my cart for when I have more $$$.

My latest book purchase is the whole set for Harry Potter.

My latest book purchase was "The Little Black Book of Connections" by Geoffrey Gitomer. I'm gonna go by several of his books and put them right on my shelf next to "Blink" and "The Tipping Point," by Malcolm Gladwell

Purchased a few more books with what little pocket $$$ I have...

Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown by Maureen Waller - This one is about a period and characters I've always been interested in; the story of the "Bloodless Revolution," and lots of info about William of Orange and Mary II, Anne, James II and Mary of Modena and their son.

Courtesan: A Novel by Diane Haeger - A fictionalized account of the long romance of Henry II and the older Diane de Poitiers.

Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse, Princess of Great Britain and Ireland: Biographical sketch and letters - With a preface by her sister Helena, this is basically a memoir and collection of letters (translated from German) written by Princess Alice, who I've thought was always the the most interesting of Victoria's daughters (though Louise is fascinating too), and very far ahead of her time.
    Last edited by pakacat; 09-12-2007 at 06:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread