+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Bought a ton of British chick lit the other day (hey, it must be spring time!):

The Truth About Melody Browne - Lisa Jewell (love her!)
    Second Chance - Jane Green
    Who's That Girl - Alexandra Potter
    West End Girls - Jenny Colgan
    The Little Lady Agency - Hester Browne

I also picked up the new(ish) Candace Bushnell, 1 5th Avenue, as well as Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. The latter is more cosy Southern women's lit with a slight touch of magical realism than anything else. I really liked her debut novel, Garden Spells, and have high hopes for this one.

Whether or not I'll actually get around to reading all these books anytime soon (the twins are due in a month but will most likely show up a few weeks early, so I'm all packed and ready to go) is a completely different story.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 04-03-2009 at 04:02 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I for one can't wait to read George Bush's 'authoritarian' (his words, not mine) version of his presidency!
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

I just bought The Murder Farm by Andrea Maria Schenkel. I thought at first that the title was a bit uninspired, but reading the blurb made me change my mind:

"An entire family lies dead - a man, his wife, their daughter, her two children and their new maid - brutally murdered with a pickaxe at their remote home, now known as "The Murder Farm".

The papers are full of stories and rumours, but the police have no firm leads and seemingly no sense of how they might set about finding the killer. Then a former resident of the village returns home to see if they can succeed where outsiders have failed.

Compared to Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Andrea Maria Schenkel's debut is an unforgettable detective story in which neither police, journalists nor the narrator can find the solution; the reader alone reaches the shattering conclusion."

I just started reading the novel and so far I'm liking it, so I'm pleased with my purchase. It is a short book, which I'm also happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;3413114;
    I just bought The Murder Farm by Andrea Maria Schenkel. I thought at first that the title was a bit uninspired, but reading the blurb made me change my mind:

"An entire family lies dead - a man, his wife, their daughter, her two children and their new maid - brutally murdered with a pickaxe at their remote home, now known as "The Murder Farm".

The papers are full of stories and rumours, but the police have no firm leads and seemingly no sense of how they might set about finding the killer. Then a former resident of the village returns home to see if they can succeed where outsiders have failed.

Compared to Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Andrea Maria Schenkel's debut is an unforgettable detective story in which neither police, journalists nor the narrator can find the solution; the reader alone reaches the shattering conclusion."

I just started reading the novel and so far I'm liking it, so I'm pleased with my purchase. It is a short book, which I'm also happy about.
    THis sounds interesting, but I'm confused. Capote's book was a true crime book, like Ann Rule's are. Is this a novel or a true crime?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

^ It's a novel. I think the comparison they make with In Cold Blood is to the writing style. It is kind of a spare, more journalistic type of prose. And maybe the plot does remind a little of In Cold Blood, what with the whole family being brutally killed. I think it's a good novel FWIW . I just found it had won a prize for best crime novel of 2008 in Sweden plus it won a bunch of awards (Best first novel and such) in Germany. The more I read it the more I'm intrigued. It's haunting.

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;3414733;
    ^ It's a novel. I think the comparison they make with In Cold Blood is to the writing style. It is kind of a spare, more journalistic type of prose. And maybe the plot does remind a little of In Cold Blood, what with the whole family being brutally killed. I think it's a good novel FWIW . I just found it had won a prize for best crime novel of 2008 in Sweden plus it won a bunch of awards (Best first novel and such) in Germany. The more I read it the more I'm intrigued. It's haunting.
    Oops, sorry for the double post. I just meant to add that the prize in Sweden was Best Foreign Crime Novel of 2008 (or 2009 I forget ).

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I just bought new copies of "Crystal Singer" and "Killashandra" by Anne McCaffrey. I read these books every year, so I figured I'd buy another set before they are out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyElle;3357135 View Post
    What is the 'Dark Ones' series about? I've heard the author's name before but I cant place her work.

I just got 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy in the mail and am going to start it this week.
    Just caught up with this thread, so you're probably done with 'The Road'. Did it just gut you? Can't imagine how they're filming this amazing story.

Premium Member

I have been a busy book buyer, I bought the Stephanie Plum series 1-13, waiting on 14&15 to come in. Also bought Dead and Gone and Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown. Yay time for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyElle;3357135;
    What is the 'Dark Ones' series about? I've heard the author's name before but I cant place her work.

I just got 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy in the mail and am going to start it this week.
    The Dark Ones is a series about Vampires by Katie McAllister. It is sort of a comic spin of the more serious Vampire series like Christine Feehan's Carpathians (and others that for the life of me I can't think of at the moment). I remember in one of the Dark One novels the heroine managed to raise some mummies from the dead in the British Museum and it was simply hysterical. Especially after she is resting from making love to her Beloved and the mummies body parts are hiding under the bed. I know it sounds bizare but it really is funny.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread