+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

4 for the price of 3 gets me every time.

The Eight by Katherine Neville - I've read it and loved it but don't actually own it, and when I saw it at the bookstore I was reminded of how much I want to read The Fire and I want to reread it before I get started on it.
    True Believer by Nicholas Sparks - All those hormones make me appreciate the comfort of a good, book-induced cry, and this one seemed like a real tearjerker. Mind you, it doesn't take much for me to start bawling these days, what with me being five months pregnant and all.
    The Condition by Jennifer Haigh. This one came highly recommended by Jennifer Weiner, and I trust her taste in books, so... Theme-wise, it reminds me a bit of Jodi Picoult. Has anyone read it?
    Christmas, Present by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Because I love a good Christmas story. Also, did I mention that I felt like a good cry?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

There's a sequel to The Eight? Excellent. I lucked out and bought a copy of The Eight this summer (and a bunch of other books on my list, all for a quarter each - yee haaaa), which was necessary at this point because I've taken it out of the library a good half dozen times and that was just getting ridiculous. I will be going into the sequel with a bit of a jaundiced eye, though, as I really didn't care for any of Katherine Neville's other work.

My most recent purchase has been the three Dexter novels, which I am saving for my Christmas break. Along with them, I will be reading the pile of Entertainment Weeklys I stockpile every year before Christmas, and an assortment of Joss Whedon graphic novels. All this, a fireplace and plentiful hors d'oeuvres and gin - that's a good time.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I love the Dexter series. Better than the TV show, even though I'm a big fan of Michael C. Hall. There's a fourth book that won't be released until August 2009 - I was going to pre-order it on the Chapters/Indigo website until I saw how long I'd have to wait.

Finally I got around to picking up a copy of Twilight, which I'm enjoying immensely. I'm going to hand it off to my older daughter when I'm finished, and I was confident enough that she'd love it to order her copies of Eclipse and New Moon. I'll probably save one of those to go under the Christmas tree for her, plus I pre-ordered a copy of the new Rowling book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which is supposed to be an offshoot of the Harry Potter series - it's one of Hermione's books. I also treated myself to the new Clive Barker, Mister B. Gone.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

Oh, I ordered The Beedles of the Bard book, too. It was referred to in the last book of the HP series; someone (I think Dumbledore) had given it to Hermione to study.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3242345;
    Oh, I ordered The Beedles of the Bard book, too. It was referred to in the last book of the HP series; someone (I think Dumbledore) had given it to Hermione to study.

When does The Beedles of the Bard book come out? I have a 7 year old friend who LOVES Harry Potter. His parents are reading the books to him (currently on the third book) and he dressed up as Harry for Halloween. I want to get him a Harry Potter related Christmas gift and I'm wondering if this would be a good idea??? I don't want to spoil then ending of the series for him.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3242340;
    I also treated myself to the new Clive Barker, Mister B. Gone.
    Let me know how you like it, AJane. I've come _this_ close to buying it on several occasions but always seem to find some more pressing literary matters. It looks good, though, and I love the cover.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3242684;
    When does The Beedles of the Bard book come out? I have a 7 year old friend who LOVES Harry Potter. His parents are reading the books to him (currently on the third book) and he dressed up as Harry for Halloween. I want to get him a Harry Potter related Christmas gift and I'm wondering if this would be a good idea??? I don't want to spoil then ending of the series for him.
    December 4 (Thursday). Plenty of time to get it before Christmas.

doxie, this book won't spoil the HP series, it wouldn't have any mention of Harry or any of the other characters. You know, I thought I had once heard of another spinoff HP book that Rowling had written, which I think was supposed to be the "text" that Hagrid gave his students for his Care of Magical Creatures class. Has anyone else seen or heard of such a book?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

^ I've never heard of it. She did write two books that dealt with the magical world - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them & Quidditch Through the Ages.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3243099;
    doxie, this book won't spoil the HP series, it wouldn't have any mention of Harry or any of the other characters. You know, I thought I had once heard of another spinoff HP book that Rowling had written, which I think was supposed to be the "text" that Hagrid gave his students for his Care of Magical Creatures class. Has anyone else seen or heard of such a book?
    Thanks!

My little Harry Potter loving friend now wants an owl for Christmas......

I think that the "Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them" that CCL mentioned is the same thing as the text for Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures Class. I have a copy of "Fantastic Beasts" and it is printed to look like a textbook with "Harry's notes and sketches" in the margins.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread