+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

I just got back from a booksellers' convention and am overloaded with new books. I didn't actually buy any of them, since they're mostly Advance Reader Copies, but I came home with about 50 books, including upcoming releases by Wally Lamb, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Oscar Hijuelos and Katherine Neville's The Fire, which is the sequel to The Eight. I actually went to an event and heard her speak and got the book signed! There are too many titles to post, but I'm feeling a bit greedy and overwhelmed...I did actually leave some books, if you can believe it! I'll post about the various titles as I read them. Now I'm definitely going to have to get another bookcase.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oooh, I'm so jealous. What is the new Dennis Lehane title? Is it a Patrick Mckenzie novel or another stand alone novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3212184;
    I just got back from a booksellers' convention and am overloaded with new books. I didn't actually buy any of them, since they're mostly Advance Reader Copies, but I came home with about 50 books, including upcoming releases by Wally Lamb, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Oscar Hijuelos and Katherine Neville's The Fire, which is the sequel to The Eight. I actually went to an event and heard her speak and got the book signed! There are too many titles to post, but I'm feeling a bit greedy and overwhelmed...I did actually leave some books, if you can believe it! I'll post about the various titles as I read them. Now I'm definitely going to have to get another bookcase.
    I'm soooo jealous! What is your job title and how can I qualify?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Critical, I'm jealous too. I can't wait to read The Fire. I really enjoyed The Eight.

I just talked to a friend that was in D.C. not long ago during the big national book fair on the mall. She said it was fabulous and she got a free tote and could have filled it up about 100 times over. I was jealous of her as well.

My dream would be to have an endless supply of books. Well to have the money to buy an endless supply. I actually have this fantasy where I go into Barnes and Noble and fill up a shopping cart until the books are falling out of it and then going back and doing it again and again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Add me to the list of green-eyed monsters!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

That sounds great, Crit. I got an advance reader's copy of "The Fire" too, and it was great. I loved "The Eight," and I think I still like the Eight more (I found The Fire to have more .... ambiguity, in some ways, and a little less historical detail, and I don't think either comment is a spoiler) but I think fans of the Eight will like it. I probably should reread it to appreciate it more, I raced through it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

A Passion for Blue and White by Carolyne Roehm

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3212184;
    Did you just say "sequel to The Eight"? Music to my ears, baby!

/Got TWO new bookcases the other month

PS: brunette trixie, the new Dennis Lehane is a standalone set in post-WW1 Boston. I'm reading it right now, and so far I'm loving it. It's more of a sprawling epic than his previous work and includes cameos from people like Babe Ruth and J Edgar Hoover. Great writing from Lehane, and plenty of it - The Given Day clocks in at over 700 pages. I prefer his standalones to the McKenzie/Gennaro ones (although I like them too) so I'm very happy right now.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-10-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I bought 2 books from Amazon with my $25 Amazon credit card rewards bonus and only paid 17 cents. They will both be Christmas presents. One is Stroke of Insight (featured on Oprah's show) about a brain scientist who had a stroke and then wrote about it from her point of view. That's for my bro-in-law who's a neurosurgeon. And A Year of Living Biblically for my very religious, but formerly funny brother. Hope he finds the humor in it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3234835;
    I bought 2 books from Amazon with my $25 Amazon credit card rewards bonus and only paid 17 cents. They will both be Christmas presents. One is Stroke of Insight (featured on Oprah's show) about a brain scientist who had a stroke and then wrote about it from her point of view. That's for my bro-in-law who's a neurosurgeon. And A Year of Living Biblically for my very religious, but formerly funny brother. Hope he finds the humor in it.
    Well we do, even if he doesn't

I just bought the Gemma Halliday series: Spying in High Heels, Killer in High Heels, Alibi in High Heels, and Mayhem in High Heels, (chick lit - somewhat like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but not nearly as funny) gifts for my niece.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread