+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Gosh, Ajane, I envy you being new to The Historian, Wicked and Harry Potter -- three of my favorites.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Wicked has been on my list for a while since I've yet to read it. While I'm thinking about it, I need to move it to my library hold list.

I just bought Patricia Cornwell's The Front. I'm a big fan of her Scarpetta series but have honestly been disappointed in all of others.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3046897;
    As summer is coming and we'll be travelling a fair bit, I bought some road reading - The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (got it for $4.27 ), Snuff, the newest from Chuck Palahniuk, and Gregory Maguire's Wicked. I also bought my 9-year-old the first Harry Potter book, which I plan to read after she finishes with it. I've yet to read any of them.

Geek, let me know how you like Rant. I love Palahniuk but I didn't love that particular book.
    You will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Historian. I want to know where you got it for $4.27. I checked it out from the library, but I would LOVE to own it and re-read it. Especially for less than $5. Great bargain.

I didn't like Wicked. I think I'm the only one in the world that didn't.

Lildago, I read Patricia Cornwall for years and loved the Scarpetta series (and like you hated the others), but about 8 years ago, even the Scarpetta series got too angst ridden and went off in a direction I didn't care for and I stopped reading her. I was so disappointed because I used to really look forward to her books.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I was so tired of being number 1,178 on my library's hold list for everything I wanted to read, I just splurged. mrd, I got The Historian on sale at Coles (I don't know if you have Coles in the U.S., but they're affiliated with Chapters/Indigo). I also have some sort of rewards card and got an extra 10% off. I snatched it off the discount shelf as soon as I saw it, remembering all the great reviews it got here on FORT.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Gamer Chick & Principal bearwme1's Avatar

I bought The Europa Conspiracy by TIm LaHaye and Bob Phillips, Judgement Day by James F. David, and Second sight by Amanda Quick.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

I was up in the Adirondacks for the weekend at the family camp and there is a lady who sells nearly new books in her garage...I got 5 books for $15.
    Water for Elephants (which I've been wanting to read for a while)
    Vanishing Acts by Jodie Picoult (which I realised I'd read before - and if you read her books one after another, she says quite a few of the same things in each book!
    And then Mohawk, Risk Pool and something else by Richard Russo (author of Empire Falls)
    which I'm looking forward to as well, as soon as I finish Northanger Abbey.

All books look brand spanking new - 5 of 'em for 15 bucks...excellent!!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

I'm hoping I can finally get hold of a copy of Breaking Dawn. I'm going on vacation soon and, obviously, I'd love to bring it. First I put an order in a one bookstore since I had a coupon for 10% off. One week went by and I didn't hear from them. So, despite the coupon, I had to scrap that idea. I thought of ordering over the internet, according to their websites I would get it before I leave, but I wouldn't want it to come after I leave, then they'll return it. Lastly I went to the sci-fi bookstore (as suggested by geek the girl). It was sold out, but they had ordered new ones, they would come next week.

So hopefully I'll get one to take with me on vacation, otherwise I'll have to wait and I don't want to!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3048110;
    I didn't like Wicked. I think I'm the only one in the world that didn't.
    Rest assured, you are not alone.

Lildago, I read Patricia Cornwall for years and loved the Scarpetta series (and like you hated the others), but about 8 years ago, even the Scarpetta series got too angst ridden and went off in a direction I didn't care for and I stopped reading her. I was so disappointed because I used to really look forward to her books.
    I wonder if any actually looks forward to her books anymore. I don't think that I've heard anything positive about her in years.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I've been reading the series of books by Kathy Reichs and I absolutely love them! She's the author who inspired the tv series Bones. Her books are the perfect mix of action/mystery/suspense and educational details that a novice reader would need. Plus I love the fact that Canada and various parts of it are frequently mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3171066;
    I'm hoping I can finally get hold of a copy of Breaking Dawn. I'm going on vacation soon and, obviously, I'd love to bring it. First I put an order in a one bookstore since I had a coupon for 10% off. One week went by and I didn't hear from them. So, despite the coupon, I had to scrap that idea. I thought of ordering over the internet, according to their websites I would get it before I leave, but I wouldn't want it to come after I leave, then they'll return it. Lastly I went to the sci-fi bookstore (as suggested by geek the girl). It was sold out, but they had ordered new ones, they would come next week.

So hopefully I'll get one to take with me on vacation, otherwise I'll have to wait and I don't want to!
    Both Wal-mart & Target have the book on shelves at discounted pricing.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread