+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest book purchases

Re: Your latest book purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2857791;
    The series begins with Twilight, the second book (New Moon) which is a continuation of the first broadens the story. Our human girl learns more about herself and who she can't live without. The 3rd book is further continuation of the story line with greater growth and character development. There is more resolution within the hero/heroine and it hints toward conclusion but the final book in the series Breaking Dawn is not due for release until after midnight May 31st (I think). We are all anxious for that one.

The author of the Twilight series also has a book that she is almost done with that is a retelling of book one only through Edward's (our hero) perspective.

The author, Stephenie Meyer is a member of the FORT - which takes our affection up for her another notch. The books are greatly enjoyed and the first one is being made into a movie already.
    Thanks Mike's Girl now I really need to go and get the book.

I picked up the Twilight the yesterday.

FORT Regular

I recently acquired a little overpriced booklet entitled "Sweet Nothings." It is published by a company called Orange Art Miniatures, and is quite delightful.

I've also downloaded several classics onto my iPhone through the eBooks application, but there's something significantly more endearing and comforting about actually holding a book in your hand, so I haven't read any of them.

I just finished Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Don't be put off by the title, it's a mystery novel and it was on the New York Times' top 10 best books of 2006. It was gorgeous to read, though I was disappointed by the way it ended. You need stamina to get through the first half (the book is way thick) because nothing seems to be happening as all the events are just being narrated leading up to the murder. After the murder though, everything happens really quickly and you'll find yourself amazed at all the clues that were planted in the first half!

It's going to be made into a film, too.
    2003-2008.

^Oh, what a coincidence, I just bought Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl myself. I "gained" a whole free hour this morning after an unexpectedly short meeting, so instead of going back directly to my office I stopped by a bookstore on the way (it's Friday ). The saleslady said it was a really good book and then kept discretly quiet about my second book purchase (Meg Cabot's Size 14 is not fat either ).

I've almost finished New Moon and I really got the urge to read a classic, before diving into Eclipse. However, most classic books are expensive. After work, I had some spare time before I was going to meet my boyfriend so I went into a small bookstore. They had a shelves of classic, that were really cheap, like $6.50 each, which I found to be cheap. I got Emma by Jane Austen and Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (people have been talking about that at work, plus it's not that thick).

Now I know where to go if I get more urges to read classics.

Deadly Gamble, immediately followed by Deadly Deception, both by Linda Lael Miller. The main character Mojo Sheepshanks is described as a cross between Janet Evanovich's - Stephanie Plum and Charlene Harris' Sookie Stackhouse; but I think she is more Allison Dubois. While the book is lacking all of the great humor found in Evanovich, it has a similar feeling in a very likable leading character. This is not fiction imitating life though by a long shot, and there a few repetitive references of book titles that I believe are an attempt to add some lightheartedness, but are repeated a zillion times and becomes annoying. If you like ghosts helping solve crimes, and enjoyed the young adult "The Mediator" series by Meg Cabot then you will probably enjoy Mojo and her cop boyfriend.

I just bought the 3rd Sisterhood of Traveling Pants book.

Picked up Edward Rutherfurd's London the other day, as I loved Sarum so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;2986199;
    Picked up Edward Rutherfurd's London the other day, as I loved Sarum so much.
    I LOVE Rutherfurd, pakacat! London is wonderful. I've read all of his books, except for his prince series, which didn't get great reviews (especially compared with his epic histories). My favorites are Sarum and Russka. I hope you enjoy London as much as I did!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread