+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Since so many of us have already finished the final Harry Potter book and are eager to discuss it without having to use those pesky spoiler tags, this is the thread for it.

ETA: Someone mentioned in the other thread that many found Dobby's death to be the most upsetting. I have to say that I think I cried the most when he died. Maybe it's because he was so trusting and adoring of Harry. I found the whole grave-digging scene to be extremely poignant.
    Last edited by Critical; 07-23-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

I was probably more upset about Hedwig and Dobby's death then of Tonks, Lupin, and Moody! I know, I am horrible. I would of liked to see HOW Lupin died though.

And AGAIN, I state I wish the epilogue were different. I would have LOVED to see how the magical world adjusted to Harry living, Voldemort dieing... and what not. I would of liked to see the Ministry get reorganized, read the Daily Prophet release... all the people who went to Azkaban and all that... and just everything about the characters rather then their KIDS! What if she wants to edit the kids names or stuff, she should of done just five years, WAY more possibilities then!

I think Snape was always suppose to die... just lucky Harry was there to get his memory!

I, aside from Hedwig and Dobby, wasn't emotional over any of the deaths. I was more emotional over the Percy reunion, Mrs. Weasley protecting her daughter and Ron returning... and stuff.

I still want to know why Hermione didn't inform Harry he was speaking parsletongue to the lady and she was speaking parsletongue back!!!

Kao

The lady never spole to Hermoine, that's why. She just gestured and pointed, and when Harry asked her did she want to talk to him by himself, she nodded and left the room and he followed her, thinking that she wanted privacy.

FORT Fogey

Ah, I see.

One other thing I wish I saw, was more reaction with Hermione/Ron on the defeat of Voldemort. And just plain more Ginny!

I wanted more info on what happened with everyone after, too.

I also would have liked seeing more of what was going on out in the wizarding world, instead of quite so much slogging around wet, cold forests living in a tent.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2487269;
    I wanted more info on what happened with everyone after, too.

I also would have liked seeing more of what was going on out in the wizarding world, instead of quite so much slogging around wet, cold forests living in a tent.
    Me too! Buy oddly, after the scene in Gringotts, I was VERY disappointed we had no tent scene! I wanted more then!

I also wanted to see Ron and Hermione's reaction to Harry's death more, and then Voldemort's death!

I just finished. I closed the book about 5 minutes ago! I cried off and on through the whole book. Tonks and Lupins deaths upset me because they just had that little baby and now it is an orphan. Just sad. Fred....I cried like a baby because he is my favorite twin! Probably because my oldest sons name is Fred...but still! Dobby's death hit me the hardest. I cried for a good 15 minutes when he died. I loved that little elf!

I enjoyed watching Kreachers growth. His developing relationship with Harry and even his reluctant tolerance of Hermione. I also enjoyed getting to know Albus' brother. Through the whole book, I feared that we wouldn't see a glimpse of McGonagal and some of the other Hogwarts regulars. I was happy that they finally put in an appearance, although a rather short one.

How awesome was Molly? You go girl! I was also happy to learn that the Malfoys' cared more for their son than Voldemort. I love what Narcissa did for Harry in the forest. I wanted to hug her.

I've always suspected that Snape wasn't totally bad and was pleased to know that I was right. I liked the glimpse into his childhood and his friendship with Lily.

I loved this book and am so sad to see it end. I really hope she continues the story later with their children and them.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2487278;
    I also wanted to see Ron and Hermione's reaction to Harry's death more, and then Voldemort's death!
    I definitely thought Voldemort's death was too fast, especially after all the build up. I actually had to go back and re-read it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I guess I expected more of a "duel to end all duels" thing, not just "BLAM!" and he's dead.

I'm actually okay with how she ended things. I thought the stuff with the Dursleys was wrapped up when they left: with Dudley becoming a little more human, Petunia seeming a bit regretful and Vernon not changing one bit! Interesting that Petunia wanted to go to Hogwart's as well. That explains a lot.

I think it was perfectly fitting that Harry's life seemed to be very normal at the end. It's exactly what he'd wanted all along - not to be special or different, but to be like everyone else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2487312;
    I think it was perfectly fitting that Harry's life seemed to be very normal at the end. It's exactly what he'd wanted all along - not to be special or different, but to be like everyone else.
    I agree. He has his friends, his children and Ginny. He also knows the truth about everything now...Snape, Dumbledore....and he is still a part of Teddy's life. I think Harry is very happy.

And if he is...why do I feel so damn sad?

I am so glad to see this thread!

I have been a Snape fan since day one and I am SOO glad that JK showed he was working for the Order all along. I think he had to die, otherwise Harry wouldn't know how to defeat Voldemort. It breaks my heart that it happened so painfully, but if he died by a curse Harry would never get to see Snape's memories and Dumbledore's final instructions.

I had to put the book down when Dobby died. I cried out loud when he died and again when Harry carved on his grave that he died a "free elf"

I could not believe she killed Hedwig and Moody so quickly. I felt like there was no opportunity to mourn either of them. As someone who has lost pets I felt Harry never got a chance to grieve.

I was so tee'd off to see Umbridge using Moody's eye. Why didn't Jo punish her?!

Fred's dead came so quickly I couldn't believe it. And then just a line about Lupin, Tonks and Colin Creevy. I think Dobby's death had the most impact on the reader because it was the only person we truly saw mourned.

I LOVED when Hermione jumped Ron and snogged him. He finally said the right thing at the right time!

The final battle left so many unanswered questions about who lived and died. Just that 50 others unmentioned died. They could have been anyone...Seamus, Dean, the Patil twins, Cho, etc.

I liked, but didn't love the end. Loved when Harry told Albus he was named after the two greatest headmasters in Hogwarts history, but didn't like how little info was actually shared.

In the end, the Malfoys survived because they realized that love was greater than the search for power. (Although I would love to know if any of the surviving deatheaters were punished)

All I can truly hope is that whoever makes this film includes as much as possible. I could even live with a two-parter if they needed to leave things in. I especially want Snapes memories to be included.

I am so thankful that I was able to experience the books. I am only sorry that there will only be the two movies and then no more new visits to HP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast