+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

I think Percy would have been a good choice for her to kill....after he reconciled with his family, of course.

Although I would have loved Fred to live I think he was a "good" choice for a character to die. To me, it showed the brutality of war and that you must keep on fighting regardless of what may happen around you.

I think that a Weasley had to die and it had to be a more prominent Weasley that had always been on the right side. Since Mr. Weasley got the reprieve Fred and George were the only other alternatives in my eyes, as I couldn't see them killing Molly, another surrogate mother for Harry.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2490697;
    JK Rowling was interviewed by the Today show and here is what she talked about. The second part is tomorrow morning and hopefully it answers some more questions.

Thank you so much Yardgnome for the transcript! I am hoping for something like the epilogue in The Return of the King.

However, for comments about Luna and Neville, I thought maybe she was pulling Luna towards Dean in the book.

Thanks for the transcript Yardgnome! I had been wondering about Luna, and what JKR says makes perfect sense to me: a naturalist, travelling the world in search of crazy creatures . I had thought Harry would have been a teacher at Hogwarts, but that he's an auror seems okay to me. And I'm glad to read Hermione has also a career of her own.

Some pages ago, Newfherder solved something I had been wondering about: the names of Ron and Hermione's kids, since I couldn't figure out who they had been named for . Harry and Lily's kids had pretty straightforward names and I had figured Victoire was Bill and Fleur's daughter, but Rose and Hugo had defied my detecting skills.

MRD

While I was really sad about the deaths, I think Fred's hit me the hardest. And Dobby's. But Fred, was one of my favorites.

As for crying, I tend to cry at the oddest times. Like when Carrows spits in McGonnagals face and Harry takes care of it for her and she calls him "gallant"
    and says she'll organize the fight while he looks for the horcruxes.

And what got me the MOST was when he went back to the room of requirement for the D.A. and it wasn't just the D.A., but the Order and Percy and a few other people. I just felt so emotional that all those people had shown up to help that I started bawling.

I have always liked Snape and was glad to see that he wasn't all bad. Snape had loved and Dumbledore put so much store in the notion of "love" that Snape was redeemed in his eyes because he could love. So could the Malfoy's it seems.

I was not surprised that Harry saved Draco 2 times and they did kill off either Crabbe or Goyle, can't remember which one in the fire that they set by casting a spell.

All in all, I loved it, I even loved the epilogue.

And I want a purse like Hermione's!

Someone posted a question earlier in refernce to Sirius and the "Veil". I have always heard "beyond the veil" as a euphemism for death. Way before the Potter books. I would like to know why that particular phrase is used and where it came from. I have a vague feeling its a very old literature reference.
    I tried to google it but came up with nothing that pertained to that particular phrase.

I too am sad that its all over now but for the remaining two movies.

I heard JKR joke that if she writes anymore books, it'll be Harry Potter and the Mid-life Crisis. After that epilogue, that quote makes sense now.

I was reading so fast at the end, that after I finished, I had to go back and re-read parts of it. Once the battle started, I was devouring pages as fast as the flames were devouring the room of requirement while they searched for the diadem.

I think this was one of the best books of the series. I didn't much like the last one before this, but now that Dumbledore's death is better explained, I'm not as upset by it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2492167;
    Someone posted a question earlier in refernce to Sirius and the "Veil". I have always heard "beyond the veil" as a euphemism for death. Way before the Potter books. I would like to know why that particular phrase is used and where it came from. I have a vague feeling its a very old literature reference.
    I tried to google it but came up with nothing that pertained to that particular phrase.
    Interesting. I've never heard of the expression "beyond the veil" before but I looked on-line and there are a lot of references to beyond and behind the veil, particularly with regards to near-death experiences. I also found this quote from the poet Shelley:
    Death is the veil which those who live call life;
    They sleep, and it is lifted.

It would be interesting to know where the phrase originated.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2492180;
    Interesting. I've never heard of the expression "beyond the veil" before but I looked on-line and there are a lot of references to beyond and behind the veil, particularly with regards to near-death experiences. I also found this quote from the poet Shelley:
    Death is the veil which those who live call life;
    They sleep, and it is lifted.

It would be interesting to know where the phrase originated.
    I did a quick search and kept coming up with references to muslim women who are veiled. I'm glad you found more info. Maybe Shelley is where that did originate from. I have no idea where I first heard it, but it is something I have heard for years. Maybe someone else would have more info on it.

This was something I tried to explain to my daughter back when book 5 came out. She has argued with me for a couple years now that Sirius could come back and I kept telling her that to go "beyond the veil" is to die.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've heard a similar expression, but I'm not going to bail YOU out

What I've heard (I think) is references to the veil of death, and you may be mixing metaphors by adding in "beyond the pale" (outside the bounds of acceptable behaviour.)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2492184;
    I did a quick search and kept coming up with references to muslim women who are veiled. I'm glad you found more info. Maybe Shelley is where that did originate from. I have no idea where I first heard it, but it is something I have heard for years. Maybe someone else would have more info on it.
    It seems older than Shelley. Most references, as Newfherder says, are to "veil of death" rather than "beyond the veil of death." There are references in the bible about a veil being used in the temple to seperate the most holy place from the rest of the temple and that the priest would part the veil and enter this place once a year, on the Day of Atonement. When Christ died the veil was torn apart.
    I've also found a reference to the veil of death at the entrance of the Underworld (Greek Myth) and allusions to a thin veil between the living world and the world of the dead in Celtic Myth. So it seems like the veil motif has often been used with regards to death, although I had never heard it before, personally. It goes to show that JK Rowling must be well-read.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

Could Victor and Hugo possibly have been Hermione's parents names?
    I do like the explaination of them being a tribute to Rosmerta and Vicktor better! Maybe she will explain that one!

Still curious as to who does magic later in life as she has said in a previous interview and were they studying that veil as a mystery or since it sort of had seats around it was it a "death chamber" of sorts? What about the voices were they like the Thesterals as to why only Luna and Harry heard them?

I do hope they get rid of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore in the next movies. After Richard Harris' death he has never captured the soft, elegant, quirky, calmness of Dumbledore in the books. I just have never liked his portrayal and I feel like he hasn't read the books. He is like a Greatful Dead fan! I so wish Peter O'toole would do the part!

+ Reply to Thread