+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2490134;
    My vote for the role of Narcissa goes to Tilda Swinton (she played the White Witch in "The Chronicles of Narnia"). It's been awhile since I've found a character in a movie to be so unlikeable (and not in a "love to hate" sort of way). She's also got the voice and she can pull off the "pale" look required for someone playing a Malfoy. Is she British?
    Oooh, goood call! Yes, she is British. I can totally see her as Narcissa. There is even a slight resemblance to Draco.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I really liked that a mother's love saved Harry twice, first Lily, then Narcissa. It was a nice touch.

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar

The book was seriously fantastic, great way to end it!

I'm a serious HP Freak and love it to bits, but some things in then end which was just like, WTF?? Like things that made me stay up all night!

Why, Fred, babe, why Fred? I mean you just got carried away with that one, did ya? I was so sad, it wasn't even neccessary, just so random.
    And Hermione and Ron's kids names?
    Hugo, what about Fred if he died, awwww, Rose is a fierce name though!
    I feel really sad about the whole Lupin-Tonks situation, not neccessary...interesting...but not neccessary, why? Dobby was enough.

I dont think that a spin-off or an eighth book is neccessary, but the books conclusion needed more excecution and a little more thought!

I love the HP World and J.K Rowling to death like you cant believe!

Harry Potter Series = Best literature Collection of all time
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

CCL

I don't think that JK Rowling gets to choose the actors in the movies. Though maybe if she objected strongly they would listen to her. I think Tilda Swinton would be a great Narcissa. Nice call, Carla.
    The more I think about it, the more I think the relatively short scene for Fred's death was appropriate because in battle a soldier can't take a long time to mourn a fallen comrade; the battle is still raging and s/he has to get on with the fight. I do think that she managed to capture the sadness and horror of his death in the few paragraphs she devoted to it. Similarly, I thought the sight of Lupin's and Tonk's bodies was rendered even more powerful by how the view moved from the crush of grieving Weasleys surrounding Fred to the scene of Lupin & Tonks laid out all alone. An arresting image. I think it is resonates even more because we didn't get to see their deaths played out (and, again, I think Rowling was trying to accurately potray a battle scene with the consideration being that in battle a soldier does not always get to see/know how all their comrades have fallen).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

JK Rowling was interviewed by the Today show and here is what she talked about. The second part is tomorrow morning and hopefully it answers some more questions.

Exclusive: Finished ‘Potter’? Rowling tells what happens next
    Exclusive: Author gives details on events after the book’s final epilogue
    By Jen Brown
    TODAYShow.com contributor
    Updated: 7:38 a.m. ET July 26, 2007
    Spoiler alert: This story reveals some key plot points in the final Harry Potter book. So if you've haven't finished the book, J.K. Rowling asks that you not read this story.

If you found the epilogue of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” rather vague, then J.K Rowling achieved her goal.

The author was shooting for “nebulous,” something “poetic.” She wanted the readers to feel as if they were looking at Platform 9¾ through the mist, unable to make out exactly who was there and who was not.

“I do, of course, have that information for you, should you require it,” she told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira rather coyly in her first interview since fans got their hands on the final book.
    Ummm … yes, please!

Rowling said her original epilogue was “a lot more detailed,” including the name of every child born to the Weasley clan in the past 19 years. (Victoire, who was snogging Teddy — Lupin and Tonks’ son — is Bill and Fleur’s eldest.)

“But it didn’t work very well as a piece of writing,” Rowling said. “It felt very much that I had crowbarred in every bit of information I could … In a novel you have to resist the urge to tell everything.”

But now that the seventh and final novel is in the hands of her adoring public, Rowling no longer has to hold back any information about Harry Potter from her fans. And when 14 fans crowded around her in Edinburgh Castle in Scotland earlier this week as part of TODAY’s interview, Rowling was more than willing to share her thoughts about what Harry and his friends are up to now.

Harry, Ron and Hermione
    We know that Harry marries Ginny and has three kids, essentially, as Rowling explains, creating the family and the peace and calm he never had as a child.

As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.

“Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department,” Rowling said. “They are now the experts. It doesn’t matter how old they are or what else they’ve done.”

Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron’s wife, is “pretty high up” in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in “Deathly Hallows.”

“I would imagine that her brainpower and her knowledge of how the Dark Arts operate would really give her a sound grounding,” Rowling said.

Harry, Ron and Hermione don’t join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a “really good place to be.”

“They made a new world,” Rowling said.

The wizarding naturalist
    Luna Lovegood, the eccentric Ravenclaw who was fascinated with Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and Umgubular Slashkilters, continues to march to the beat of her own drum.

“I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures,” Rowling said. “She’s a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is.”

Luna comes to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don’t exist.

“But I do think that she’s so open-minded and just an incredible person that she probably would be uncovering things that no one’s ever seen before,” Rowling said.

Luna and Neville Longbottom?
    It’s possible Luna has also found love with another member of the D.A.

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling’s response was “Definitely not.” But as time passed and she watched her characters mature, Rowling started to “feel a bit of a pull” between the unlikely pair.

Ultimately, Rowling left the question of their relationship open at the end of the book because doing otherwise “felt too neat.”

Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom: “The damage is done.”

There is no chance, however, that Neville’s parents, who were tortured into madness by Bellatrix Lestrange, ever left St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies.

“I know people really wanted some hope for that, and I can quite see why because, in a way, what happens to Neville’s parents is even worse than what happened to Harry’s parents,” Rowling said. “The damage that is done, in some cases with very dark magic, is done permanently.”

Rowling said Neville finds happiness in his grandmother’s acceptance of him as a gifted wizard and as the new herbology professor at Hogwarts.

The fate of Hogwarts
    Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, the school for witchcraft and wizardry is led by an entirely new headmaster (“McGonagall was really getting on a bit”) as well as a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. That position is now as safe as the other teaching posts at Hogwarts, since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx that kept a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor from remaining for more than a year.

While Rowling didn’t clarify whether Harry, Ron and Hermione ever return to school to finish their seventh year, she did say she could see Harry popping up every now and again to give the “odd talk” on Defense Against the Dark Arts.

More details to come?
    Rowling said she may eventually reveal more details in a Harry Potter encyclopedia, but even then, it will never be enough to satisfy the most ardent of her fans.

“I’m dealing with a level of obsession in some of my fans that will not rest until they know the middle names of Harry’s great-great-grandparents,” she said. Not that she’s discouraging the Potter devotion!

“I love it,” she said. “I’m all for that.”

TODAY is airing more of the exclusive interview with J.K. Rowling on Friday. “Dateline NBC” will air a special hour with the author on Sunday.
    Exclusive: Finished ‘Potter’? Rowling tells what happens next - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2489592;
    Oooh! In Case You Didn't Know just reported that Naomi Watts just signed on for the next Harry Potter film as Narcissa Malfoy, Draco's mother!

Nope that is a rumor no one had been cast yet! yay!

JK answered a few questions this morning

Harry and Ron reworked the Auror office and Hermione was high up in the legal profession.

Professior Mcgonagall was getting on in years so there is a different Head Master she said she would say who in the encylopedia.

OOPs Looks like it is posted word for word one up! Sorry

She gave Mr Weasley a reprieve as he was supposed to die in book 5 but she couldn't bear it. Fred, Tonks and Lupin were surprise deaths to her.

Chapter 32 was an alternate title she thought of using for the book.

FORT Fanatic

I want them to make Keira Knightley look ugly and cast her at Merope!

Well I got the book at 7:00pm last night, read it until I feel asleep, and finished an hour ago

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the book. My one area of personal dissatisfaction is with Draco's story, but I don't think I would have been really satisfied with anything other than his death

Loved the Kreacher story and the Dursley sections most of all.

Dobby's death, though necessary, made me sob so much that I couldn't see due to swollen eyes. I wasn't expecting to feel that much emotion, but I did.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2490697;
    JK Rowling was interviewed by the Today show and here is what she talked about. The second part is tomorrow morning and hopefully it answers some more questions.

Thanks, YG! I'm delighted to hear those extra details. And, it's exactly what I pictured them all doing. Too bad she won't write another book to detail it all.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2491205;
    Thanks, YG! I'm delighted to hear those extra details. And, it's exactly what I pictured them all doing. Too bad she won't write another book to detail it all.
    I agree. Maybe if she writes the encyclopedia it will include further details?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2490609;
    I don't think that JK Rowling gets to choose the actors in the movies. Though maybe if she objected strongly they would listen to her. I think Tilda Swinton would be a great Narcissa. Nice call, Carla.
    The more I think about it, the more I think the relatively short scene for Fred's death was appropriate because in battle a soldier can't take a long time to mourn a fallen comrade; the battle is still raging and s/he has to get on with the fight. I do think that she managed to capture the sadness and horror of his death in the few paragraphs she devoted to it. Similarly, I thought the sight of Lupin's and Tonk's bodies was rendered even more powerful by how the view moved from the crush of grieving Weasleys surrounding Fred to the scene of Lupin & Tonks laid out all alone. An arresting image. I think it is resonates even more because we didn't get to see their deaths played out (and, again, I think Rowling was trying to accurately potray a battle scene with the consideration being that in battle a soldier does not always get to see/know how all their comrades have fallen).
    JK Rowling has always been enormously involved in the films production right down to casting. All you have to do is watch the "making of..." on the DVD versions of her movies to know that she is adamant about British casting for her movies. She has allowed a couple of Irish/Scottish actors to have roles and an Eastern European (Viktor Krum) to be cast, but no Americans except for the American actor who played "mini-me" in Austin Powers playing a goblin in Sorcerer's Stone. I don't believe she's cast a Canadian, New Zealander, or Australian in any of the films. I like Carla's idea of Tilda Swinton (The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe) as Narcissa Malfoy, however, JKR and her casting team tend to like to use more internationally "famous" actors for larger roles. That's why the movies are like "Who's Who's" of the British acting community. I also think that Fred's death was unnecessary. It didn't really do much to further the story except that the Weasley's lost one family member. My son said that if JK had to kill off a Weasley, she should have killed off Charlie because he was hardly ever in the books and when he was he was off drinking with Hagrid! That made me laugh at first, but then I thought he had a good point.

+ Reply to Thread