+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2488104;
    I suspect that Harry had a near-death experience.
    Thank you,

That is the word I was looking for.

I think Harry had a near-death experience and saw what he saw.

I thought it was the rock, but he had dropped it earlier, I doubt its effect would have been the visions.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by MomLady
    CCL,

Interesting about Hermione, When I read that I thought that it showed their life similar to Ron's parents. Molly was always a strong woman, her husband knew she pulled rank. Even though she was shown as a "housewife" who was boss in her home, we were shown her real magical strength when she killed Bellatrix. There was no way she would let someone harm her family. I see a parallel of this for Ron and Hermione.
    I see your point. And I don't mean to denigrate her role as a mother (or Molly's). But it would be disappointing if a mother was all she was. I would expect her to be a leading light in her career field.

As for the ending/the way Voldemort was killed: I think that was because Rowling did not want Harry to become a killer as he was the hero of the piece. Of course, killing Voldemort in battle is not the same as committing cold-blooded acts of murder but it still would have meant that sweet little Harry took someone's life. The way it worked out, it was not really Harry that killed Voldemort, it was more a case of Voldemort killing himself. Harry never uttered the killing curse, Voldemort did and then it rebounded onto him by Harry's disarming spell. (Note that Avada Kedavra was Voldemort's signature spell while Harry's signature spell was the more benign Expelliarmus. Lupin told Harry that he could not rely on Expelliarmus and that he might end up having to kill someone. In the end, though, Expelliarmus came through for Harry).

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder
    Hugo and Rosie. It seems that they each named a kid for a former crush--Rosie for Rosmerta, and Hugo in honor of Victor Krum. (The first thing that pops into my head when hearing "Hugo" is Victor Hugo, which leads me to Victor Krum.) Hermione was more subtle than Ron, no surprise there.
    I didn't even pick up on that one. Nice!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I went back and reread a few parts....When Snape anonomously cast the doe...When I knew who did it, I cried while reading it again. I have always loved Snape and never believed him to be totally evil, so that part really got to me.

I also read Snapes memories again and noticed he told the portrait of Phinaes not to call Hermione a muggle. Which leads me to believe that he really liked her. After all, she a very good student and friend to Harry.

Then I reread the final duel between Harry and Voldemort. I have to say, I enjoyed it more the second time. Harry had him by the short hairs. I also realized, as someone mentioned, that Harry didn't need to use dark magic to defeat him. The dialog was great. Plus, the truth about Snape came out, which redeemed him in everyones eyes. I think JK did an excellant job with that scene. She floundered a bit, though. An extra chapter explaining what everyone else was up to, the rebuilding of the Ministry and other things would have been very nice.

Someone mentioned the locket around Umbridge's neck....She has always been a bit of a cranky old bat...I'm sure the locket affected her mood.

Also, just because Hermione was there to see her child off on the Hogwarts express, doesn't mean she doesn't have some important job and is just a housewife. I really would have liked to know for sure, though.

Jk has married and extended her family since she started these books. I imagine the epilogue reflects her own life....the hubby, kids, and happy home. So in a way, it was fitting, even if it didn't contain enough details for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2488203;
    I see your point. And I don't mean to denigrate her role as a mother (or Molly's). But it would be disappointing if a mother was all she was. I would expect her to be a leading light in her career field.

As for the ending/the way Voldemort was killed: I think that was because Rowling did not want Harry to become a killer as he was the hero of the piece. Of course, killing Voldemort in battle is not the same as committing cold-blooded acts of murder but it still would have meant that sweet little Harry took someone's life. The way it worked out, it was not really Harry that killed Voldemort, it was more a case of Voldemort killing himself. Harry never uttered the killing curse, Voldemort did and then it rebounded onto him by Harry's disarming spell. (Note that Avada Kedavra was Voldemort's signature spell while Harry's signature spell was the more benign Expelliarmus. Lupin told Harry that he could not rely on Expelliarmus and that he might end up having to kill someone. In the end, though, Expelliarmus came through for Harry).

I didn't even pick up on that one. Nice!
    I understand what you are saying.

I think Hermonie was most passionate about SPEW, (I hope those are the initials.) I would think she would follow in that line of work.

She could do anything she wants.

I think most people took time off from work to be at the train station, so we can't tell if they have other jobs.

I agree with you about the Harry killing Voldemort. That is why I found his own spell killing him very fitting.

Harry is a hero, not for using dark magic but for putting an end to Voldermort.

JK Rowling tied up many lose ends, but left a lot of room for more explanations and story lines.

Quote Originally Posted by MomLady;2488218;
    JK Rowling tied up many lose ends, but left a lot of room for more explanations and story lines.
    Which I'm hoping someday, she takes advantage of that! I would love to know what everyone is up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2488153;
    Hugo and Rosie. It seems that they each named a kid for a former crush--Rosie for Rosmerta, and Hugo in honor of Victor Krum. (The first thing that pops into my head when hearing "Hugo" is Victor Hugo, which leads me to Victor Krum.) Hermione was more subtle than Ron, no surprise there.
    Intresting.

about Hermoine being more subtle.

I wondered about Hugo.

I have heard of Hugo as a first name before.

Something that surprised me was that Harry and Ron and Hermione were willing to use the Imperius and (if I remember correctly) the Cruciatus curse on people. Weren't those technically forbidden and supposedly the use of them was horrible?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

One of the items that came back to me as I was reading all of your thoughts, was I think this book was darn near perfect. She answered a lot of questions, but still left things to linger in our minds. This means we will talk about the books for a long time and hope for more information from her.

With JK having a website, it would be awesome if she posted mini-epilogues in the room of requirement for us to discover every so often. Just a page or two here or there about all of our favorite characters and their lives after book 7.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2488203;
    Voldemort
    Please don't say that name. There could still be a trace on it.

Stop your sobbing! More Potter to come - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com

I can't wait to see this interview! It looks like Arthur got the reprieve. I was certain it had been Hagrid. And it looks like we're going to get an encyclopedia sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2488486;
    Please don't say that name. There could still be a trace on it.

Stop your sobbing! More Potter to come - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com

I can't wait to see this interview! It looks like Arthur got the reprieve. I was certain it had been Hagrid. And it looks like we're going to get an encyclopedia sometime in the future.
    That is wonderful news! Thank you so much for the post!

+ Reply to Thread