+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

It's magic
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

CCL

^ Exactly. I don't think the Sorting Hat is made out of normal hat material. Even if it is, it is imbued with magical properties. It may have been set on fire but that doesn't mean that the fire would consume and destroy it.

I know that Harry has always wanted to be normal and the ending did show him being normal in terms of having a family and sending the kids off to Hogwarts (just like any other magical family). But, I don't know, I just find it kind of annoying that him having a family appears to be the be all and end all to his life (as per the epilogue). There are other aspects to his life, surely. I would have liked to know what he is doing now (career-wise), where he is living, etc. Not to mention the other characters and what they were now doing. Hermione got screwed in the epilogue. She was always such a strong character and what was her role in the epilogue? To tell Ron that she had faith he would pass his driver's test and then to admonish him not to tease the children! That's it? I always expected big things out of her and the epilogue showed me nothing of what she became.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2488032;
    ^ Exactly. I don't think the Sorting Hat is made out of normal hat material. Even if it is, it is imbued with magical properties. It may have been set on fire but that doesn't mean that the fire would consume and destroy it.

I know that Harry has always wanted to be normal and the ending did show him being normal in terms of having a family and sending the kids off to Hogwarts (just like any other magical family). But, I don't know, I just find it kind of annoying that him having a family appears to be the be all and end all to his life (as per the epilogue). There are other aspects to his life, surely. I would have liked to know what he is doing now (career-wise), where he is living, etc. Not to mention the other characters and what they were now doing. Hermione got screwed in the epilogue. She was always such a strong character and what was her role in the epilogue? To tell Ron that she had faith he would pass his driver's test and then to admonish him not to tease the children! That's it? I always expected big things out of her and the epilogue showed me nothing of what she became.
    CCL,

Interesting about Hermione, When I read that I thought that it showed their life similar to Ron's parents. Molly was always a strong woman, her husband knew she pulled rank. Even though she was shown as a "housewife" who was boss in her home, we were shown her real magical strength when she killed Bellatrix. There was no way she would let someone harm her family. I see a parallel of this for Ron and Hermione.

As for my view on the rest of the book:

Harry was shown having a family and normal life. This was always his desire.

Ron opened the chamber of secrets twice, yet he is not regarded with power. I think Harry, by letting Ron destroy the locket was honouring how much Ron can do.

I actually like the way Voldemort die. I like the fact that Harry called him Riddle. Voldemort said it was going to come down to skill to Harry. Voldemort said that Dumbledore was weak for not using the dark magic.

Harry used his brains, he understood about the wand. It was Voldemort's own spell that killed him. Harry did not need to use the dark magic to take down the darkest of wizards. I found that very fitting.

I like the way Kretchner came around.

Dobbie's death was sad. I think Harry digging the grave was such a touching moment.

I was most upset that both Tonks and Lupin died leaving Teddy an orphan.

I also wanted more answers about the death eaters, what jobs they all do etc. I think JK Rowing left enough for another book if she so cares to write one.

I wonder if Malfroy really changed as shown on the platform.

My question, did Harry die at all. Or just unconscious or something like that. I do not think he died and came back. I think he slipped into unconsciousness or something. I think many times JK Rowling showed that they can't use magic to come back from death etc, so how would Harry come back?

I suspect that Harry had a near-death experience.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

What I found odd was that the distance between the conclusion and the epilogue was 19 years. Surely Ron/Hermoine and Harry/Ginny married not long after the finale, yet their elder children seem to be only 12yrs old. That is a gap of 7 years. Teddy Tonks and Bill/Fleur's daughter (his snog partner) are both in the 17-19 year range.

Another odd thing I found in all the books was the lack of Potter relatives. I believe it is book 6 where Sirius tells Harry of his second home at the Potters and how kind they were to him. So - where are they? Yes, Harry had to go to the muggle relatives for both safety and concealment before and after his 11th birthday, but why did no Potter relatives (grand parents) step forward even to send an owl with a hello...Harry was allowed to think that Sirius, as his godfather, was his ONLY relative in the wizarding world. Curious.

I, too, cried at Dobby's buriel. Probably because Harry was so emotional about it. I cheered for Neville (one of my favorites) along with his Gran and sighed over Luna's bedroom ceiling. Kreacher leading the house-elves was a joy as was the VICTORY of the school over evil. There are too many bits to quote as this truly was the grandest epic of the series and ended as it should.

Hooray JKRowling, and thanks.

The two funniest bits:
    • Someone was referred to as being "nuttier than squirrel poo"
    • Ron and Hermione's kids' names
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2488106;
    Another odd thing I found in all the books was the lack of Potter relatives. I believe it is book 6 where Sirius tells Harry of his second home at the Potters and how kind they were to him. So - where are they? Yes, Harry had to go to the muggle relatives for both safety and concealment before and after his 11th birthday, but why did no Potter relatives (grand parents) step forward even to send an owl with a hello...Harry was allowed to think that Sirius, as his godfather, was his ONLY relative in the wizarding world. Curious.
    It was mentioned in previous books that James was an only child and his parents were elderly. Hence no Potter relations. You would think there'd be cousins, et al. but it was also stated the reason he went to the Dursley's was because of his mother's charm - and Petunia was her closest blood relative and therefore the only one able to provide the protection Harry needed.

There were two things that befuddled me - the locket & the cloak. I mentioned this in the other thread so won't repeat it verbatim here. But basically the locket affected Harry, Hermione & Ron's moods yet didn't really seem to affect Umbridge. Was it because she had a similar mindset to Voldemort or...? As for the cloak it was stated that it was impenetrable yet Harry was cursed/hexed while wearing it. Did JK mean impenetrable only to mean that it couldn't be destroyed or ruined? Because I would think impenetrable would mean anyone wearing it was protected from any spell or detection (including Mad-Eye's eye)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2488113;
    The two funniest bits:
    • Someone was referred to as being "nuttier than squirrel poo"
    • Ron and Hermione's kids' names
    What were Ron & Hermione's kids' names again?

The person referred to as "nuttier than squirrel poo" was Bathilda Bagshot. It was a quote by someone in Rita Skeeter's books.

I did like how Neville came into his own in this book and that he was the one who took down the snake. Interesting how a number of them got to destroy the horcruxes, not just Harry (even though it seemed like it would be Harry's job, initially).

I found the portrait on Luna's ceiling touching. I would have liked to have known what became of her. I don't think she ended up with Neville; I recall JK Rowling saying that Neville was not interested in Luna in that way, and she never betrayed those kinds of feelings for him.

One of the moments that made me cry was when Hermione explained that she had modified her parents' memories and had them emigrate to Australia and if something happened to her it was okay because her parents didn't know they ever had a daughter. My sister called me a total sap for crying at that part.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

What were Ron & Hermione's kids' names again?
    Hugo and Rosie. It seems that they each named a kid for a former crush--Rosie for Rosmerta, and Hugo in honor of Victor Krum. (The first thing that pops into my head when hearing "Hugo" is Victor Hugo, which leads me to Victor Krum.) Hermione was more subtle than Ron, no surprise there.
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2488106;
    What I found odd was that the distance between the conclusion and the epilogue was 19 years. Surely Ron/Hermoine and Harry/Ginny married not long after the finale, yet their elder children seem to be only 12yrs old. That is a gap of 7 years. Teddy Tonks and Bill/Fleur's daughter (his snog partner) are both in the 17-19 year range.

I, too, cried at Dobby's buriel. Probably because Harry was so emotional about it. I cheered for Neville (one of my favorites) along with his Gran and sighed over Luna's bedroom ceiling. Kreacher leading the house-elves was a joy as was the VICTORY of the school over evil. There are too many bits to quote as this truly was the grandest epic of the series and ended as it should.

Hooray JKRowling, and thanks.
    I have thought of that in the past as well.

His mom was a muggle, I do not think I ever heard of grandparents on her side etc. I would assume there would be mention of grandparents visiting Dudley.

I do not think we heard of relatives of James. Did he have any sisters. James parents adopted Sirus as a second son. If they had other sons, maybe the expression of adopting him as one of their sons etc. Something similar to Molly's expression in reference to Harry. Just a thought.

The epilogue was 19 years later. Teddy would be at least 19 years old, he was an infant when his parents died. I would assume the oldest you could be is 18 at Hogwarts. I thought that Teddy would already would be out of Hogwarts. There was no mention of him getting on the train.

Actually I thought they would have gotten married later. Harry was 17 1/2, Ginny 16 something. Way to young.

Maybe a 5 year and a 19 would have been good.

Yes, another book.

+ Reply to Thread