+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

I don't see what all the fuss is about Dumbledore being gay. The book and movie series are wonderful and children don't really seem to mind what his orientation really is. He is a very likeable character.

I'm very glad that the news came directly from JKR. It seems that most of the fuss is coming from adults or special interest groups.

I'm sure someone will try to have the books/movies banned somewhere because of this "revelation". Silly IMO.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I don't understand why she felt the need to divulge this at all. It doesn't add to the story and will only make some have negative feelings toward the series... or as misskitty said, ban them.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2633977;
    I don't understand why she felt the need to divulge this at all. It doesn't add to the story and will only make some have negative feelings toward the series... or as misskitty said, ban them.
    I thought exactly the same thing Gut....not cool JKR
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2620371;
    Honestly, I've always found Dumbledore to be rather asexual, maybe because of his advanced age. Actually, come to think of it, pretty much all of the Hogwarts teachers are without romantic interests/lives throughout the books, apart from Hagrid's flirtation with Olympe Maxime from Beauxbatons. Interesting, however.
    I agree; I was always a bit disinterested and neutral (and I remain so) when it came to the subject of teachers in Hogwarts having sexual preferences/relations.

JKR always seemed to answer any questions that were asked, as long as the book was out. Maybe that's how she saw him and maybe it was important to her. I've never cared about anyone's sexual preference. And maybe it goes to show that there can be great educators who are gay and don't bother our children.

I came across a paper on metaphors and similes in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I've heard that the phrase, "pheonix rising from the ashes" is used a lot. Where in the book, I have no idea.. so, if anyone wants to shed some light on this, itd help. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2633977;

For me, I see this as a HA! in the faces of everyone that's against her books. She could probably care less as to how many people dont read her books. Enough people read them and love them, and she's richer than Oprah(not really, but still very rich). She may have thought of his sexuallity long before divulging it to the public. It does add to the story, it adds more background to Dumbledore. It doesn't make him any less of a charater. He's still amazing, dead or alive. If people have negative feelings toward the series, its for more reasons than just the sexuallity of the head master. People were against it before book two was out. It doesn't matter. If you dont like it, dont read it. Dont try to ban it just because "God" doesn't approve of witchcraft or homosexuallity. Get over it.
    I love the fact that Dumbledore is gay. Like you said, It doesn't add to the story, but it sure does add to the feelings i have toward him. He's more diverse now and theres finally a homosexual in a children's book! Finally! What makes me angry, is why it took so long for someone, anyone, not just JKR, to put homosexuals into books. Children books. Its amazing, in my oppinion.
    Last edited by hepcat; 11-01-2007 at 12:08 AM.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by longbottomsgirl;2641435;
    . Enough people read them and love them, and she's richer than Oprah(not really, but still very rich).
    Well, according to Forbes, Oprah is worth 1.5 billion and JK Rowling has made 1 billion. I think when you get into the billions it's all relative anyways.

As for Dumbledore's sexuality, I do recall an article mentioning someone who was thrilled that Dumbledore was revealed as gay because now the "religious right" had even more reason to persuade parents not to allow their children to read Harry Potter. Does she need more readers? Probably not. But it is still sad that people are going to use Dumbledore as another reason to have her books banned.

Other JK Rowling news:
    Author JK Rowling has completed a set of handwritten fairytales which were mentioned in her last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

There will be just seven volumes of The Tales of Beedle the Bard and they will not be published.

One copy will be auctioned to raise money for her charity, The Children's Voice, and the author will give away the rest of them.

She said the books were a "wonderful way" to say goodbye to Potter.

"People kept saying to me 'you'll be glad to have a break from writing', when of course I wasn't taking a break at all," added the writer.

Handwritten books

"I was literally writing out - as these are handwritten books - these new stories which has been a wonderful way to say goodbye. It's like coming up from a deep dive."

The fairytales, which were illustrated by Rowling herself, are the first works she has written since the Potter novel was published in July.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard was left to Potter character Hermione by Hogwarts school headmaster Dumbledore.

The seven books are all handwritten by the author

In a recent US book tour, the author revealed that Dumbledore was gay.

Rowling said she had always seen him as gay in her mind.

"No-one ever asked me had he ever been in love or fallen in love. People were very focussed on what happens to Harry so I had never been asked a direct question.

"And because to answer it would immediately flag up an infatuation with what happens in book seven, I never said it."

The new book will be auctioned at Sotheby's in London on 13 December with a starting price of 30,000, although it is expected to sell for a lot more.

Harry Potter book sales already stood at 325 million copies even before the seventh novel came out - it broke records on both sides of the Atlantic by selling 11 million copies in 24 hours.

It was published simultaneously in more than 90 countries.

Legal action

JK Rowling and the makers of the Harry Potter films, Warner Bros, are suing a US publisher over its plans to release a book version of a popular website dedicated to the boy wizard.
    The legal action claims that RDR Books will infringe on Rowling's intellectual property rights if it publishes the 400-page Harry Potter Lexicon.

It adds that this would interfere with her plans to write her own definitive Harry Potter encyclopaedia.

RDR Books publisher Roger Rapoport said the suit dismayed him and dismissed any notion it could compete with any official encyclopaedia written by Rowling.
    Link: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Rowling completes Potter spin-off

Too bad about the The Tales of Beedle the Bard being published in such limited quantities. I'm sure a lot of readers would have wanted to read it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

Legal action

JK Rowling and the makers of the Harry Potter films, Warner Bros, are suing a US publisher over its plans to release a book version of a popular website dedicated to the boy wizard.
    The legal action claims that RDR Books will infringe on Rowling's intellectual property rights if it publishes the 400-page Harry Potter Lexicon.

It adds that this would interfere with her plans to write her own definitive Harry Potter encyclopaedia.

RDR Books publisher Roger Rapoport said the suit dismayed him and dismissed any notion it could compete with any official encyclopaedia written by Rowling.
    This makes me sad, because I love the Harry Potter Lexicon. I agree with the publisher that people aren't going to buy the Lexicon book instead of her encyclopedia, but it still may be a copyright violation, I suppose.
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

+ Reply to Thread