+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2520334;
    I will have to admit, though, that when Hedwig bit it --- RIGHT AT THE START OF THE BOOK! -- I got so pissed I put it down and went and did something else for awhile!
    Hedwig didn't die. When she found herself (in a cage!) riding in a sidecar attached to a flying motorcycle, she decided she'd had enough, ditched Harry, and went to join Fawkes, where they lived the quiet life with a nice family from Cleveland. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I just finished this at 3:30 this morning (which doesn't do so much for my work life) and I both loved it and hated it. I thought the ending was justified and I guess it's up to us to make up our own endings, expecially if we didn't agree with hers.

FORT Fogey

I still loved the last book, and my only regret was instead of 19 years in the future, it was five, and we saw the characters respective careers and who they married, so we could make up the future in our minds and how many kids they had and stuff!

This said, anyone know who JK changed their fate on their deaths?

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Arthur Weasley got the reprieve (and I believe it was Lupin and Tonks that took his place, so to say). For a number of reasons, I thought for sure that it was Hagrid who got the reprieve, but I was wrong on that. I think we were a bit misled in that most thought that the person who was originally to die would get the reprieve in book seven. But Arthur actually got the reprieve in book five. He was origianally going to die from the snake bite.

I'm meeting a group of people at Barnes and Noble next week to discuss the book and I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2520334;
    Overall, loved it, as usual! Absolutely LOVED Molly killing off Bad-to-the-Bone Bellatrix! That was one of my all-time favorite scenes in any of the books!
    Harry meeting up with his parents, Sirius and Lupin had me grabbing tissues, too. I can see why JK howled after she wrote that.

I cheered Neville on when he killed Nagini. And I really loved it when Narcissa covered for Harry. I felt for her that she was so worried about Draco --- nothing like a mother's love, I guess, even when Mama is definitely no saint!
    3 good examples of Dumbledore's insight that Voldemort underestimated the power of love... specifically a mother's love, but also friends and family. I was reading while my son and exchange student watched tv and when Dobby died, I cried out "NO!" and started crying. My son is still catching up with the last book and doesn't want to be spoiled, but he asked if Ron had died (his favorite character). I wouldn't tell him. I had predicted in one of the first books that Neville would play a big role in the end because of the way he stood up to his friends sneaking out and the fact that he was placed in Gryffendor in the first place. I am also planning to reread the entire series again at some point now that all the puzzle pieces are in place.
    Count your blessings!

BTW . . .

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but it'd been playing around my mind, I don't recall seeing this question (maybe I did and it didn't register at the time) and I'd like some help, 'cause I'm currious to know your thoughts . . .

The ring was one of the Horcruxes. When Dumbledore put it on, it turned out that it carried a curse that was so powerful it signed his death warrant.

The locket was also a Horcrux, but when Harry, Ron and Hermione put it on, it darkened their thoughts and personalities (to a certain extent). Ron's, in particular (because of his insecurities?).

But it wasn't cursed to the point where putting it on their bodies actually killed them.

And Voldemort controlled Ginny through the diary.

But, again, her being controlled by the diary (or touching it) didn't actually kill her.

So why was the ring cursed to the extent that it was, I wonder?

Yes, it carried the Resurrection Stone . . .

But if Voldemort wasn't aware of the Deathly Hallows, why would he have cursed that ring so badly?

Does anybody recall reading/hearing that JKR said anything about Voldemort being aware of the Deathly Hallows?

And if so, do you think that was why he cursed the ring so badly, because the stone in it was actually the Resurrection Stone, and he knew that, somehow (despite what Dumbledore thought)? So, just in case someone got ahold of it, being as hung up on immortality as he was, he would insure that --- by cursing the ring so badly --- whoever did get ahold of it, paid the price by dying, instead of cheating death?

I mean, that was a helluva curse on that ring!
    Last edited by ness; 08-27-2007 at 09:00 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2547411;
    BTW . . .

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but it'd been playing around my mind, I don't recall seeing this question (maybe I did and it didn't register at the time) and I'd like some help, 'cause I'm currious to know your thoughts . . .

The ring was one of the Horcruxes. When Dumbledore put it on, it turned out that it carried a curse that was so powerful it signed his death warrant.

The locket was also a Horcrux, but when Harry, Ron and Hermione put it on, it darkened their thoughts and personalities (to a certain extent). Ron's, in particular (because of his insecurities?).

But it wasn't cursed to the point where putting it on their bodies actually killed them.

And Voldemort controlled Ginny through the diary.

But, again, her being controlled by the diary (or touching it) didn't actually kill her.

So why was the ring cursed to the extent that it was, I wonder?

Yes, it carried the Resurrection Stone . . .

But if Voldemort wasn't aware of the Deathly Hallows, why would he have cursed that ring so badly?

Does anybody recall reading/hearing that JKR said anything about Voldemort being aware of the Deathly Hallows?

And if so, do you think that was why he cursed the ring so badly, because the stone in it was actually the Resurrection Stone, and he knew that, somehow (despite what Dumbledore thought)? So, just in case someone got ahold of it, being as hung up on immortality as he was, he would insure that --- by cursing the ring so badly --- whoever did get ahold of it, paid the price by dying, instead of cheating death?

I mean, that was a helluva curse on that ring!
    That's a REALLY good question. My only reasoning is that ring meant alot to him maybe since it was passed down in his family...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2547410;
    I had predicted in one of the first books that Neville would play a big role in the end because of the way he stood up to his friends sneaking out and the fact that he was placed in Gryffendor in the first place.
    Yeah, I always liked Neville. I thought that was well done, although it was kind of funny he pulled that sword out of the hat after the goblin went to such pains to re-appropriate it. Too bad for the goblin, ha!

I also always liked Snape (except I didn't like how the author never let him wash his hair, lol), and was hanging on to my conviction that he was working with Dumbledore all along. I am glad that is how it turned out.

Sorry I am not up to reading 16 pages of posts, so you can link me back if this was already discussed, but I would like to know exactly what that baby-creature was in the dream/heaven/near death sequence. It was never made explicit, and it's hard to read about people ignoring a baby's cries -- after all, humans are hard-wired to respond to that, so it was disturbing and kept pulling my focus from whatever exposition was going on there.

I have read all the post either as I just happened on this thread and was quite excited as next to Reality TV, Harry Potter is my second favorite thing!

I am guessing, or in my opinion.... Harry was in limbo between life and death, heaven and hell.... and as he is a good person he was able to walk and talk, where as the creature thingy was bad and was awaiting its future punishment in the after life...

Does that make sense? I would like everyones opinion on that as well.

Oh on another note.... I thought that I would tear up after every death, but I only lost it twice..... when Sanpe was killed and when Harry called his son Albus Sevrerus.

From book one, I can't help it.... Snape was my favorite... and I am so glad that he was on Albus's side! Cause I would have taken alot of smack from alot of people for my ever relentless, never waivering case for his Innocence.

So I abide a fairwell to my favortie litterary character of all time! sniff sniff....

+ Reply to Thread