+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;2496150;
    What exactly were everyone's occupations?
    *Neville as Herbology Professor, I was happy with that.
    *But if Harry were in any kind of dangerous occupation then the master of the Elder Wand could change and that would defeat the purpose of letting it lapse back into a normal wand. Maybe he joined with George at Weasley's Wizardling Wheezes??
    *Did Ron get to be an auror??? What about Hermione and Ginny?? What about Luna/Dean/Seamus/etc. ???
    JK answered the question about occupations in her interview with Katie Couric (go back to page 8 of this discussion). Harry & Ron are Aurors, Hermione is in Magical Law Enforcement, Luna is a naturalist travelling the world looking for new creatures. No mention of Dean or Seamus though.

Harry gave up the Elder Wand in the 2nd last chapter and was going to put it back in Dumbledore's grave where no one could use it.

I watched the Dateline airing of the interview, and with the exception of the increasingly annoying "Spoiler Alerts" announcements, really enjoyed it. I do wish more was revealed, perhaps JK will agree to another interview in a few months when it's safe to assume everyone has had time to read the last book.

If you go to mugglenet you can get the entire interview transcript with JK about the unanswered questions from the book so far. This is the title: JK Rowling web chat transcript now online

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2494818;
    I agree with you, but I think the way that the wand knew that Harry was now the true master was because it was Draco's wand that he used. The Elder wand recognized that Harry had overtaken Draco because Harry was using Draco's wand, the same wand Draco used to disarm the Elder wand - In Half-Blood Prince, (hardcover page 584 "He merely looked across at his disarmer and said, "Good Evening, Draco."). In that split second, it recognized the wand Harry was using was Draco's and it knew that Harry was now it's Master.
    This is the perfect answer. Harry's use of Draco's wand as that wand's new master is what the wand recognized.

I knew EW got it wrong, but this is the nuance that was missing for me. I thought it odd that the elder wand would "know" that Harry defeated Draco.

So great that in the prior encounter with Riddle, that the Draco wand stayed in Harry's pocket -- which is why Riddle's curse worked then. Also, the fact that the other (stolen) wand didn't work as well for Harry makes sense since he didn't earn it as he did Draco's. Setting up and bringing in the Deathly Hallows gave the book so much additional beauty.

Loved this book so much that it continues to invade my thoughts every day, nearly ten days after finishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2496255;
    JK answered the question about occupations in her interview with Katie Couric (go back to page 8 of this discussion). Harry & Ron are Aurors, Hermione is in Magical Law Enforcement, Luna is a naturalist travelling the world looking for new creatures. No mention of Dean or Seamus though.
    I read another interview with Jo Rowling yesterday and she changed her answer, saying that Ron went to work with George at the magic shop. For me, that makes more sense than the auror thing. Here's the interview:
    Rowling answers fans final questions

By LINDSAY TOLER, Associated Press Writer Mon Jul 30, 3:19 PM ET

LONDON - Just because J.K. Rowling has stopped writing about Harry Potter and his friends and foes doesn't mean she has stopped thinking about them.

She told fans Monday what she thinks happened to many of the book's characters after the final installment.

In a 90-minute live Web chat, she fielded some of the approximately 120,000 questions submitted by devotees. It was her first public comment since "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" the last book in the series debuted on July 21.

Rowling said she was elated to share with fans the secrets she'd been harboring since she conjured up the idea for the boy wizard during a train journey across England in 1990.

"It is great to be able to do this at last," she said. "I've looked forward to it for so long!"

"Deathly Hallows" sold over 10 million copies in its first weekend. All seven books in the blockbuster series have sold a combined 335 million copies worldwide.

In the novel which centers on Harry's journey to kill Lord Voldemort, the most powerful dark wizard of all time the young wizard learns of three powerful magical objects called the Deathly Hallows that, when combined, will make their owner the Master of Death, meaning he or she accepts mortality without fear.

Rowling said in the online chat the hallows were in part inspired by "The Pardoner's Tale," one of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" about greed and death.

Rowling shared with fans, many of whom said they'd read the final book several times in the last week, where she imagines their favorite characters went after the series' conclusion.

SPOILER ALERT: Those who do not wish to know what happens to the characters after the book ends should stop reading here.

Rowling said the world was a sunnier, happier place after the seventh book and the death of Voldemort.

Harry Potter, who always voiced a desire to become an Auror, or someone who fights dark wizards, was named head of the Auror Department under the new wizarding government headed by his friend and ally, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

His wife, Ginny Weasley, stuck with her athletic career, playing for the Holyhead Harpies, the all-female Quidditch team. Eventually, Ginny left the team to raise their three children James, Albus and Lily while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

Harry's best friend Ron Weasley joined his brother, George, as a partner at their successful joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Hermione Granger, Ron's wife and the third person of the series' dark wizard fighting trio, furthered the rights of subjugated creatures, such as house elves, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures before joining the magical law enforcement squad. The couple had two children Rose and Hugo.

Luna Lovegood, Harry's airily distracted friend with a love for imaginary animals who joins the fight against Voldemort in the Order of the Phoenix, becomes a famous wizarding naturalist who eventually marries the grandson of Newt Scamander, author of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

And what Muggle, or non-wizard, song would have been played at the funeral of Albus Dumbledore, the most brilliant and talented wizard the world had ever known?

"Surely 'I Did It My Way' by Frank Sinatra," Rowling told her fans, referring to the song "My Way," written by Paul Anka but popularized by Sinatra, among other singers.

As the chat wrapped up, Rowling thanked readers for their loyalty to the series.

"What can I say? Thank you so much for sticking with me, and with Harry, for so long. You have made this an incredible journey for Harry's author."
    Rowling answers fans final questions - Yahoo! News
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Thanks Critical for posting that! Ron working with George does make sense and seems a better fit, but I can still see him as an Auror considering his bravery.

The discussion of wands brought up a question - if wizards can 'win' a wand from an opponent and the wand would then recognize the winner as its owner, how would that work with Expelliarmus? That's how Harry won Draco's wand. Yet the DA practiced it frequently and still kept ownership of their own wands. And Harry used it on Voldemort in previous books, wouldn't that make him owner of Voldemort's wand as well?

Does ownership transfer only during battle (meaning practicing disarming won't transfer ownership)?

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2497206;
    Thanks Critical for posting that! Ron working with George does make sense and seems a better fit, but I can still see him as an Auror considering his bravery.

The discussion of wands brought up a question - if wizards can 'win' a wand from an opponent and the wand would then recognize the winner as its owner, how would that work with Expelliarmus? That's how Harry won Draco's wand. Yet the DA practiced it frequently and still kept ownership of their own wands. And Harry used it on Voldemort in previous books, wouldn't that make him owner of Voldemort's wand as well?

Does ownership transfer only during battle (meaning practicing disarming won't transfer ownership)?

Not all wands are like that. I'm assuming just the Elder Wand can be won. One of the things that makes it so special, I guess.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2497326;
    Not all wands are like that. I'm assuming just the Elder Wand can be won. One of the things that makes it so special, I guess.
    No, kat, I don't think that's right. Remember Harry's trouble with the wand Hermione found for him to use? Draco's worked so much better for him because it recognized him as the rightful new owner. At least, that's my take on it, and it seemed that was what the book was leading us toward with the whole discussion about the found wand and why it didn't work well for Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2497206;

I thought Harry grabbed the wand from Draco's hand, not by Expelliarmus? Didn't it say Draco had 3 wands in his hand and Harry grabbed them all?

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Okay, but if we're going with that theory, then how did Draco disarm Dumbledore? I'm not sure either book 6 or 7 ever clarified, just stated that Draco was the one who disarmed Dumbledore, making him the rightful new owner of the Elder wand. I personally always assumed it was with expelliarmus since he was across the tower from Dumbledore, but I don't recall that ever being clearly stated. If it was with expelliarmus, then the argument about the practice sessions and the DA's use of it makes a good question...

on page 584 (US edition) of the Half Blood Prince

...The door burst open and somebody erupted through it and shouted "Expelliarmus!" ... Then, by the light of the Mark, [Harry] saw Dumbledore's wand flying in an arc over the edge of the ramparts ... [Dumbledore] merely looked across at his disarmer and said "Good evening, Draco."

So, I guess Dumbledore was disarmed by Malfoy with the Expelliarmus spell.

+ Reply to Thread