+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

CCL

Re: The Harry Potter All Spoilers, All the Time Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2492236;

I do hope they get rid of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore in the next movies. After Richard Harris' death he has never captured the soft, elegant, quirky, calmness of Dumbledore in the books. I just have never liked his portrayal and I feel like he hasn't read the books. He is like a Greatful Dead fan! I so wish Peter O'toole would do the part!

I never even noticed the difference. I guess if I watched the films back to back I'd notice but it's never been glaring to me.

Someone elsewhere made the point that Harry's son Albert Severus Potter's initials spell out ASP. The snake lives on!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2492236;
    I do hope they get rid of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore in the next movies. After Richard Harris' death he has never captured the soft, elegant, quirky, calmness of Dumbledore in the books. I just have never liked his portrayal and I feel like he hasn't read the books. He is like a Greatful Dead fan! I so wish Peter O'toole would do the part!
    I agree that Harris was a far superior Dumbledore than Gambon. HOWEVER, I think Gambon plays the part EXACTLY as written by JKR and Harris took the character and made it how it should have been written. I have nothing nice to say about Gambon's portrayal, but his worst offense is the way he holds his thin nightgown-like robes to keep from tripping. Harris wore heavy robes that were dignified and beautiful.

CCL

Entertainment Weekly interviewed Daniel Radcliffe about Deathly Hallows:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: There was a picture that circulated this week, of you in a cap, holding a copy of Deathly Hallows...
    DANIEL RADCLIFFE: Oh, yes. I think it was probably at Lord's Cricket Ground [in St. John's Wood, London]. Which was a great day. That wasn't actually my copy. A guy had asked me to sign it, and of course, somebody took a photo. It looked like I was about to start reading. So that became, The moment when Harry Potter started reading.

When did you in fact get to start reading it?
    I actually wrote, in the front of my book, the exact time of me starting to read it. I think it was 9:30 at night on the 22nd of July, which was the day before my [18th] birthday. I read two chapters on that day, which wasn't very much at all, of course. About page 30, I got to. Then I actually didn't get to read [any of] it again for another couple of days. I started again on the 24th and 25th, and over those two days or so, I seemed to completely demolish it. I read 350 pages in one day at one point.

What surprised or shocked you the most?
    Dobby's death. He's always been a comic character, in some ways. And that's what makes it so powerful, I suppose. I'm sure Jo's had that planned for a very long time. That was one of the bits that made me surprised. One of my other theories had been that Snape would end up being a sort of tragic hero, and so I was pleased to see that one in fact come through. That [idea] was given to me by a guy interviewing me, a while ago. He said he thought that would be the case. And I thought, Oh, that's very good.

You finish Half-Blood Prince feeling Dumbledore was a fool to trust Snape. But I finished Deathly Hallows feeling maybe Snape was not well served by trusting Dumbledore, and that Dumbledore used him pretty ruthlessly. There are so many ways in which Rowling changes our picture of Dumbledore by the end of Deathly Hallows. He's got even more flaws than you'd expect.
    I have to say it matched some of my predictions [about Dumbledore]. I'd sort of thought of a couple of those things. I'd imagined we would see a darker side to Dumbledore. But I didn't know in what way. I was incredibly moved by it, the whole thing.

Any other surprising bits of closure for you?
    Another thing has confused me for so long. It was in the fourth film script, and it was in the book as well, of course. When we rehearsed the scene, it was the scene in which Harry had come back from the maze, and his blood has gone into Voldemort and so on. I could never understand why there was a line in the book that said, Dumbledore looked at the scar on Harry's arm with — I think the phrase is something like, He looked at it with something close to triumph in his eyes. I've never understood that. I could never get it. No one could. No one knew. And of course, it turns out it's because Dumbledore realized that as well as Voldemort being inside Harry, Harry's blood was now inside Voldemort. Therefore his mother Lily's blood was also inside Voldemort, which obviously plays a huge part in [Deathly Hallows]. That explained a lot to me.

Were you glad to find out that Harry, Ron, and Hermione all survive?
    I was, actually. Weirdly enough, I think that's the bravest thing she could've done. I was convinced for about two years that Harry would die.

Why?
    I just felt it was the only way she could end it. But then, within the last six months, it suddenly occurred to me that that was far too obvious. She had to find a cleverer way of doing it. And indeed she did. With Ron and Hermione, I really liked the epilogue. I think a few people might've been not so keen on that. But I actually really, really liked it.

In a way, Harry actually does die, because he believes he's going to die. There's a profoundly, existentially lonely passage in the chapter when he prepares to let himself be killed.
    In a way, the time between Harry learning he has to die and actually dying —

Or believing he's dying...
    That time wasn't short enough to be painless. But it wasn't long enough for him to find complete acceptance within it either. He struggles to find acceptance. Ultimately, he finds a sort of acceptance. But he's not necessarily reconciled with the idea of it. He knows he has to do it, but he's still scared. I just can't wait to be able to film it. I think Jo has given me, once again, an amazing opportunity to step up. So hopefully I'll be able to.

What did you do when you finished reading Deathly Hallows?
    I was in a car at the time. I had my iPod in, and I was listening to Sigur Rós. I don't know if you know them. They're a band who do sort of instrumental music, but it's just amazing. I think they're from Scandinavia somewhere. They've got an album called Takk...I was listening to, and it's very, very appropriate [for the end of Deathly Hallows]. I was listening to it and I remember I was sort of turned away from everybody else in the car, just so I could be in my own little world when I read it. What did I do when I finished? I think I just put the book down and carried on listening to the music. Just looked out of the car window, 'cause I couldn't think of what else to do. I'm still struggling to really take it in. It doesn't leave you in a hurry.
    Daniel Radcliffe: My take on ''Deathly Hallows'' | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows | 1 | EW.com Exclusive | News + Notes | Harry Potter | Entertainment Weekly
    Last edited by CCL; 07-27-2007 at 06:31 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Thanks so much for posting that CCL! I've always thought that Daniel was the MUCH more well-spoken of the three lead actors. Not that Emma and Rupert are nits by any means.

I can't wait to see him play that scene in the forest either. I can only imagine what a different experience it is to read the books as one of the actors in the movies.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

The thing about Gambon is he is gruff and rough with Harry and Dumbledore is never gruff with him. He is patient and calm. In the Goblet of Fire when he runs and grabs Harry around the neck and sort of yells at him the Dumbledore in the book never would have done that!
    I hate the robe thing too! The book always describes him as being tall with long flowing robes and the half moon glasses. He didn't even wear them in the last film OOTP I don't think.

Thanks CCL! I like the fact that the actors are just as into the books and movies as we are.

FORT Fanatic

I just thought about the next movies and what about Cate Blanchett possibly for Narcissa? If you include Australia as a former colony than Nicole Kidman would be great!

I wish they would find a better Fleur too that girl is cute but she is not fantasy, hypnotic beautiful like a Veela.

My husband is about to finish the book I wish he would hurry so I can discuss with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2493393;
    I just thought about the next movies and what about Cate Blanchett possibly for Narcissa? If you include Australia as a former colony than Nicole Kidman would be great!
    Cate's Australian too, Bandy, so J.K. would probably veto her as well. I'd be all for an unknown actress or just someone who isn't a movie star. Look how well Jason Isaacs has done with Lucius Malfoy. He definitely was not a big star, but just a working actor, and I think he's perfect for the part. IMHO, the movies don't have to always be a who's who of luminaries of the British acting community....not that I don't love HBC and Emma and Ken Branagh and all the others
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

That is absolutely true I am just thinking of some of my favs and what they could play. As I said earlier if I was a British actor I would take any and even the smallest role to be in these movies just for the sheer fun of it.
    Orlando could play the young Tom Riddle SR possibly? How about Sir Anthony Hopkins as Schrigeour?
    Just for fun!

I was happy to see the current issue of Entertainment Weekly (wow, a lot of spoilers so glad that I had already finished the book) answer a few post Deathly Hollows answers to questions. My favorite was how on how the Gryffindor Sword last seen with Griphook at Gringotts could suddenly appear out of the Sorting Hat. Answer was: The same way it got from Dumbledore's office into Harry's hand in book 2 - because Neville is a true (and brave) Gryffinder.

Your ''Hallows'' questions, answered! | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows | HARRY POTTER | Books | Harry Potter | Entertainment Weekly

+ Reply to Thread