+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blaze by Richard Bachman

Blaze by Richard Bachman

Has anyone read this yet? I got my filthy paws on it yesterday and am about one third into it. I've always been kind of indifferent to the Bachman novels: while I've never hated one, I've never been passionate about one either. My favourite Bachman up until now is probably Thinner, mostly because it's the Bachman novel most reminiscent of classic Stephen King. No wonder it was Thinner that gave him away! Anyway, so far I like Blaze fine. It's a fairly obvious homage to Of Mice and Men and has a rather sentimental touch to it. The hardboiled, precise language minimizes the cheese factor, though. According to one of King's many, many "Constant Reader" introductions, this project was abandoned in favour of Salem's Lot (then called Second Coming). The introduction to Blaze (am I the only one who loves Stephen King's introductions? They make you feel so involved, somehow, and I love how he always addresses us Constant Readers - he never forgets to say hi) further explores the Stephen King/Richard Bachman dichotomy and explains why he's decided to have his dark half rise from the dead. (He supposedly died of cancer of the pseudonym in the late 80's, remember?)

I'd love to discuss Blaze, so anyone who's either read it or is intending to do so, feel free to post here. This could also be an appropriate place for discussions about the Bachman novels in general - the good, the bad, the ugly - and King's obsession with pseudonyms and literary dobbelgangers.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Re: Blaze by Richard Bachman

I didn't even know this was out, I will have to pick it up. I love his introductions, too.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Geek, I ordered this through my book club about a week and a half ago, so... just waiting for it to come in. It looked pretty good, and I'm eager to read it!

I just finished Blaze this afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though I knew where it was headed, I really savored the journey to get there. It definitely deserved to to published after all these years. I wonder if Stephen King has any other "trunk" books lying around unpublished?

+ Reply to Thread