+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I finished reading it about a month ago, and I just can't get it out of my head. I haven't been that swept away by a book in a very long time!

I did some internet browsing about the book and was not surprised to see it has a bit of a cult following. These people are waiting anxiously for news about the film adaptation that will be going into production soon. It seems Rachel McAdams has been "in talks" about playing Clare. How do y'all feel about that?

My first thought was that she was not who I pictured as Clare. Of course who I actually DID picture is kind of lame. Remember Simone from "Head of the Class"? (Okay, okay, I was in middle school when that show was on the air! I was enamored of her.) But going back to the book, Henry's describes her as a "Botticelli Beauty" with grey eyes and long wavy red hair. TECHNICALLY McAdams fits the Botticelli reference, (round face, big eyes), but is emote the kind of classic beauty that Clare seems to possess. I have really liked McAdams in what I have seen ("Red Eye", "The Family Stone" and "Mean Girls") and I heard she was very good in "The Notebook" (which I want to see now, not only to see her in a love story, but to judge the adaptation, because the screenwriter, Jeremy Levin, wrote the adaptation for TTTW). I am feeling pretty ambivalent about it.

In regard to Henry, somebody on the message boards at IMDB.com CLAIMS to be an insider to the casting of the film, and says that (gulp) Adrian Brody, John Cusack and Hugh Jackman have requested the script. Okay, I love all three of these guys, but aren't they a little too old (especially Cusack)? The message boards are on fire championing Christian Bale for the role. This I think would be the BEST casting decision since Clark Gable was chosen to play Rhett Butler! I literally fell in love with Henry, and I don't want the wrong actor make me fall out of love with him. (After seeing "Batman Begins" I know Mr. Bale could never do that!") Casting this part will make or break the movie, and I hope they choose wisely.

Anyhow, I loved the book and would love to discuss it further with anyone who is interested. I would love to know who you all picture in these roles, and I'm curious about people's opinion of the ending, and if there is anything you felt the book lacked that you would like to see in an adaptation.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

My boyfriend got me this book not long ago. It was a really powerful read. I'm not even sure what to say about it, except that I haven't been that affected by a book in awhile. It haunted me for several weeks after finishing it.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 04-04-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I read it a couple of years ago and was completely enamoured with it. Beautiful language and a captivating, completely original love story. Clare and Henry's love story felt so real that I totally bought the sci-fi stuff, lock, stock, and barrell. I still think about it from time to time which, almost two years down the line, must be a good sign. Shouldn't Audrey Niffenegger write a new novel soon?

Rachel McAdams would be a good Clare, I think. She won me over with The Notebook. Not sure who I'd cast as Henry, though. Let me get back to you on that one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2312766;
    Shouldn't Audrey Niffenegger write a new novel soon?
    I don't know about a new novel, but one of her illustrated stories, The Adventuress, was published last fall. Very spare prose and beautiful aquatint etchings. My boss got me a signed copy for Christmas and I just LOVE it.

I can imagine trying to follow up a book as successful as TTTW would be a bit daunting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2313806;
    I don't know about a new novel, but one of her illustrated stories, The Adventuress, was published last fall. Very spare prose and beautiful aquatint etchings. My boss got me a signed copy for Christmas and I just LOVE it.

I can imagine trying to follow up a book as successful as TTTW would be a bit daunting.
    I had no idea. Thanks for the heads-up!

And yep, I can see why writing another novel after The Time Traveler's Wife would be a wee bit daunting.

PS: I wish I had your boss! What an amazing Christimas present.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I read this book for the first time a few years ago, passed it along to just about everybody that I know that likes to read, and then read it again for my book club.

I just love this book so much. The best part is that the real science of time traveling isn't the focus; the impact of the traveling on Claire and Henry's relationship is the real story. And not once while I was reading did I feel tempted to consider HOW this traveling might work logically. A great read!

I loved this book too. The end specially got me teary eyed. Such undying love.

I didn't know it was being turned into a movie though. I like Rachel Mcadams too and wouldn't mind seeing her as Claire, although my favourite red head actress is Julianne Moore . She might be a bit too old for the part, but I could totally picture her in the role otherwise. Henry is more difficult. I sometimes disliked him and sometimes he just totally won me over. Actually, you know who just popped in my head when I wrote the last sentence? Daniel Craig. Yep, I know, the new Bond. But I have seen him in other films and and I think he's that rare type of actor that can totally loose himself in a character. Am I being totally crazy?

I wonder how they plan to handle the time travelling aspect of it. If it turned out to be another The Lake House, then it wouldn't be good. I personally didn't mind that movie so much, but it was a bit of mess IMO.

Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out of it.

I've found myself to have some free time (though I wish I was working) so I think I'll go to the local library and see if they have this. It sounds like it would be right up my literary alley.

It's a great read, ACF. Owlie's comment about it being about the relationship and not about the "time travelling" is very astute. The story is very emotional, not usually my cup of tea, but so well-written any reader would love it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I just checked out the message board at IMDB.com again and their "source" has divulged that Eric Bana screentested for Henry. I had forgotten to mention that he/she said that Bill Crudup had tested as well.

They are also in the process of location scouting, and are considering Toronto to substitute for Chicago. I know it costs far less to film in Canada, but Chicago was almost like another character in the book. There were so many real locations that held so much importance to Henry. Of course, I would never know the difference, as I have only spent about 1 day in Chicago.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast