+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Re: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2322808;
    My vote goes to either Rachel McAdams or Lauren Ambrose, who blew me away as - here's a coincidence for you - Claire in Six Feet Under. (R.I.P.) She's a natural redhead, in her mid-20's (I think) and she has a good track record portraying women called Claire in a convincing manner. Her face was the one that kept popping up in my head as I was reading the novel and inevitably playing the casting game. What do you all think? [/IMG]
    I swear, I was going to post the EXACT SAME SUGGESTION. (I should have known that you would think of her too, us both mourning the loss of the Fisher Family) I think Lauren Ambrose is the quintessential Botticelli Beauty. Cherublike cheeks, sad eyes and long red wavy locks of hair. There is someone on the IMDB boards that has been championing her, and posted links to several pics of her that scream Clare. Geek- you gorgot to mention the fact that TTW's Clare is also a multi-media artist, like SFU's Claire. Unfortunately, that would be a BIG risk to the producers, as she is not what you would consider "A List". McAdams isn't exactly A List either, BUT she's inching her way up there, and this movie (if it receives any success) will catapult her to the status of a Reese Witherspoon or Kirsten Dunst.

It really does look like it's going to be McAdams though, who I am feeling more and more positive about. I saw a picture of her on a magazine cover yesterday, and I was shocked to see that she had the sad grey eyes that are described in the book. She had this God-awful platinum blonde dye job that would have to go. From what I heard, she has been given script approval, which means, if she doesn't like the screenplay she can back out. I can't imagine she will have many problems, as Jeremy Levin (who adapted THE NOTEBOOK) has written the screenplay. The director attached is Robert Schwentke, who directed FLIGHTPLAN, a movie that had its flaws (mostly script ones, the direction was pretty good, made the movie seem eerier than it actually was. I think it is really going to come down to who is playing Henry (Christian Bale, Christian Bale, Christian Bale, please!!)
    Last edited by JFlo; 04-10-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I like McAdams, I think she could do well. She just played a teenager in a movie three years ago and she's my age (31), so I think she could also get by with Claire at many different ages. Here's a picture of her with red hair.

WireImage.com Photos
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

There are going to be a lot of spoiler tags here, because I don't want to discourage anyone from reading this great book.

How much do you want a bet that TPTB will not include the following scene?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When Gomez seduces Clare in his kitchen and she has sex with him, fantasizing that he is Henry.
    Including that would definitely cut down on the "likability factor" for
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Claire and most of all Gomez (who I actually really liked up until that point.) I was so disappointed in him because he really was a stand-up guy up until that moment.

I'm with Owlie, who is of the opinion that Henry tried very hard not to influence Clare and her future.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He could not help that he went back in time to Clare's childhood, but did his best to ease her into the life that was inevitablly her future.
    I think a scene that was sorely lacking from the book was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Henry's first time travel to the meadow where he first sees Clare as a child. I would have loved to know what was going on in his head as he first saw his soul mate as a young girl.
    I would love to see this added to the film.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I would imagine that the movie would have to downplay a lot of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the relationship issues between Clare and Gomez.
    I'm not sure that a movie can successfully sustain too many complex characters...(don't jump on me for that comment--I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of book to movie adaptations

Regarding my comment earlier that Henry tries very hard not to influence Clare and her future, I think the only time that he oversteps that self-imposed boundary is when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he beats up that guy who tries to rape and torture her
    . Apart from that incident, he shows great restraint and discipline in allowing her to live her life by her own terms as much as possible.

Owlie, I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be too surprised actually if the Gomez character (and maybe even his wife) didn't make it into the movie adaption or were greatly diminished. FWIW I didn't really think what happened with Claire that time made him unlikable.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He had been holding a torch for her for a long time so you kinda see it coming
    , at least as far as I remember.

As for Henry, I may be admittedly only half remembering since I read the book some time ago,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    but hadn't he had made some sort of schedule for her of the times they would meet? Did he have to do that?
    I guess I felt he could have tried harder as far as not influencing her was concerned. But like I said, at this point in time I may be misrepresenting his actions. I dont' even remember the part Owlie mentioned.

I thought it was over-the-top in its efforts to make the reader feel sorry for Henry. It felt forced, like the editor said, "there needs to be more drama at the end. Something tragic. Throw it in."
    When I read this, I remember thinking it was a cautionary tale, something for anyone who has ever thought "It would be sooooo cool to be able to travel in time!". Henry's whole life and Clare's too in a way is an example of why it would not be cool. That was just my take on it of course.

I think Kate Winslet would be really nice too. Lauren Ambrose I hadn't thought about, but she's a good actress. I remember her in a movie with Jennifer Love Hewitt and I think Ethan Embry. Six feet under I only watched ocassionally after the first two seasons.

I think Lauren Ambrose is an inspired choice. She was wonderful in Six Feet Under, and would be perfect for such a tragic character as Claire.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2322817;
    She's beautiful, geekthegirl. I'm not sure if I see her as Claire. I agree with Lotuslander that Kate Winslet would have been perfect for Claire, but I'm thinking she might be too "old" now as well. Scarlett Johansson has the look for me, but gosh, I can't stand her voice. Its so deep for a girl.
    Kate's only 31, the same age as Rachel McAdams. She seems older because she's such a good actress. Plus she has the Botticelli thing going on, including not being stick thin.
    Oops, that's wrong, Rachel is 28, three years younger.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 04-10-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Error

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2322899;
    I pictured the same for Henry, elk. Offbeat handsome is a good term for it.

I read a bit of trivia, btw, that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston bought the movie rights to this book before it even hit the shelves. So we might end up seeing one of them in the roles of Claire and Henry. While I don't picture Brad as Henry, he at least has the acting chops to pull off almost anything. However, the idea of Jennifer Aniston as Claire leaves me aghast.
    I'd be okay with Brad in the role (although offbeat handsome certainly doesn't describe him. lol) Although I'm not a huge Aniston fan, she was delightful in "The Good Girl".

I'm really stuck on Lauren Ambrose for the part now, though.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Eric Bana & Rachel McAdams to play roles

Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams will team up to bring 'The Time Traveler's Wife' to the big screen.

ETonline.com: Bana and McAdams to 'Time Travel'

'Troy' star ERIC BANA and 'The Notebook''s RACHEL McADAMS will play time traveling companions in a big-screen adaptation of the best-selling novel The Time Traveler's Wife.

Written by author AUDREY NIFFENEGGER, the story centers on a Chicago librarian who
    Click to see Spoiler:
    tries to maintain a relationship with the woman he loves while grappling with a genetic disorder that gives him the ability to travel in time during stressful situations. The object of his affection is a young heiress who struggles with his lengthy disappearances.

BRUCE JOEL RUBIN ('Ghost,' 'The Last Mimzy') is rewriting the screenplay, and BRAD PITT's production company, Plan B, is producing the project, which is scheduled to start lensing this August.

elk

Re: Eric Bana & Rachel McAdams to play roles

[QUOTE=ArchieComic Fan;2340469;]Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams will team up to bring 'The Time Traveler's Wife' to the big screen.

ETonline.com: Bana and McAdams to 'Time Travel'

'Troy' star ERIC BANA and 'The Notebook''s RACHEL McADAMS will play time traveling companions in a big-screen adaptation of the best-selling novel The Time Traveler's Wife. QUOTE]

Ugh to Eric Bana, he is so not what I picture for Henry. I guess I am okay with Rachel McAdams though (as if I have a say in casting, lol)

I saw the Last King of Scotland recently and I think James MacAvoy would be perfect. He can do accents and is an awesome actor. He is unconventionally handsome and has the kind of face that can be aged. Oh well....
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast