+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Re: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

I used to read him all the time but got lost with what I had read and hadn't read because a number of the plots were similar and I'd buy one to realize I'd already read it..lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2833063;
    Ooh, I haven't read that one yet. I'll make sure to get it.

Has anyone read Scott Nicholson btw?
    I've read The Red Church. I thought it was a good read. I have a couple more in my pile, but I haven't got to those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2360575;
    I finished The Ruins a couple of weeks ago, and I admit to being a little disappointed. Anyone see the movie Cabin Fever? The plotline of Ruins was awfully close to it.
    I really liked The Ruins. But then again, I didn't think Cabin Fever was all that bad.
    SciFi, Fantasy, & Horror @ The Sanctuary

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2340484;
    I've started The Ruins- I'm finding it to be a bit slow, at least now in the beginning. And similar to The Da Vinci Code, it's very obviously written with the intention of turning the story into a screenplay, which is a bit of a turn-off. What I do like, though, is the author's effort to really flesh out his characters (the four main ones, anyway).
    I just read The Ruins. I agree it starts slowly, but I have to say it was one of the most involving books eventually that I've read in a long time. I almost never get nightmares from books, but this gave me one....and I can't even look at the ivy strangling my trees in quite the same way. I very much identified with the German and the "boy scout," kept trying to think of ways out. Well, won't give away the ending. Must say I didn't like the female characters very much.
    If you haven't read it you could think of it as a book about kudzu on steroids.... Just glad I don't live down South these days! I haven't had a book affect my perceptions this way since I read a short story in which nasty aliens disguise themselves as those pieces of shredded tire you see all along the highways.... still have trouble getting out of a car near them!
    I haven't seen the film you all refer to, so therefore can't comment on any similarities.

There are very few similarities. Scott Smith took great liberties with his own work. I have to say I liked the ending to the movie more than the ending to the book. You should definitely check it out.
    SciFi, Fantasy, & Horror @ The Sanctuary

This isn't related to any book in particular, but I wanted to share it somewhere. I just watched an hour-long broadcast (on the Canadian Bravo network) of an award ceremony honouring Stephen King. He was given a lifetime achievement award by the Canadian Bookseller Association. This ceremony actually occurred last June, but it's significant as it marked King's first public appearance in Canada.

It included an interview with King (hosted by Chuck Klosterman) and a couple of brief speeches from Margaret Atwood and Clive Barker (two authors I revere ). Klosterman's interview wasn't that illuminating, but King did say some things I found really interesting. He mentioned that he re-wrote Cujo while suffering from alcoholism, and also likened that particular novel's style to a "Sonny Liston fight" - a constant slugfest without any "stopping points", so that the reader would feel compelled to finish it all in one read. Cell (which I loved but I know a lot of King fans weren't that thrilled with it) was written the same way.
    Regarding his fame - he told a very funny story about walking down the street in Miami some years ago and a man in formal dress was attempting to change the tire on his Lincoln, which had a flat. The man in the tux, not recognizing him, offered King $10 to change the tire for him, and King accepted. His wife Tabitha was with him, and she urged him not to do it, but he said that it was the only honest money he'd made in the past 15 years.

He also gave a great acceptance speech, and totally endeared himself to his Canadian audience by saying that Maine should be the "11th province". If any King uber-fans are interested - search "Stephen King Tribute" on You Tube and you'll find a video of his speech, and a partial video of the interview.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oooh, that sounds like something I'd like to watch! I'll search for it on Youtube. Thanks for the heads up, AJane.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

During a recent shopping spree, I bought the entire Pine Deep trilogy by Jonathan Maberry. Has anyone read it? I've heard many good things about it, so I'm definitely game.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I dont know if anyone here likes comics, i never have before, until i found The Walking Dead. it is EXCELLENT and im totally hooked. check it out if anyone likes zombies.
    ignorance is excellence

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456