+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Re: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Thanks, Elk. I actually had picked up "Cabinet of Curiosities" anyway, so that works out well. It IS pretty good, I'm liking it very much so far.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I came in here to see if anyone else had read anything by Bentley Little, and I see Geek mentioned him at the top of the thread. I am almost done reading his "The House" and it's pretty damn creepy. A little overly-gory for me, but I can't say I'm not sucked in and interested. Reading that Stephen King likes his books is part of what moved me to pick it up.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy, I've read The Resort by Bentley Little and enjoyed it a lot. The goriness didn't bother me at all, and I liked the tongue-in-cheek feel of it. Good writing, too.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm going to have to check out Bentley Little books. I love horror books.
    Yup, with donuts!!

With today being Valentine's Day and all, I thought I'd pop in and steer all my fellow horror aficionados towards a short story collection of the more unorthodox, albeit (in a sick, ghoulist kinda way) romantic, variety. Dates From Hell features novellas from acclaimed female horror authors such as Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison, and the stories deal with romance, dating, and sex... only the protaganists are living vampires/homicide detectives, demon hunters, and werewolves! I had a blast reading Dates From Hell and have an inkling that you will, too.

Also, continuing the Bentley Little discussion, I've purchased three of his novels: The Store (which Texicana talked to me about eons ago), The Dominion, and The Vanishing. The latter novel is described on Amazon as "a plethora of gore and perversion". Upon reading the blurb, I just knew I had to get it.

Happy Valentine's!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2774453;
    I came in here to see if anyone else had read anything by Bentley Little, and I see Geek mentioned him at the top of the thread. I am almost done reading his "The House" and it's pretty damn creepy. A little overly-gory for me, but I can't say I'm not sucked in and interested. Reading that Stephen King likes his books is part of what moved me to pick it up.
    Sorry for the double post, but I just found a tidbit that I thought might interest you guys. Apparently, Stephen King was reading "The House" when he was severely injured in that horrid car crash back in 1999. Reading as in reading and walking at the same time; rumour has it the paramedics found a blood stained copy of "The House" a few yards away from his poor broken body. Read all about it here: HorrorScope: Allegory and Review: The House By Bentley Little

(I know, I'm morbid. But Steve got out of the accident alive, so it's not too morbid, is it?)

In other horror related news: I spent last weekend on a Bentley Little binge and wow, that guy is one sick puppy. He's definitely on the gorier side, and both "Dominion" and "The Vanishing" have some rather graphic and disturbing sex scenes that shocked the hell out of even me, the Swede (haha). Still, for those of us with a PhD from the University of Horror, I'd recommend his work. There's a slightly Lovecraftian feel to his novels - not in terms of style, but subject matter - that I really enjoy. I particularly liked "The Vanishing" and have already ordered a whole bunch of other Bentley Little novels to dig into whenever I crave some serious blood and gore. Also, I noticed that the name Scott Nicholson came up awfully often when I browsed through Little's novels on Amazon, so I decided to give him a try. Has anyone read "They Hunger"? It's a "Deliverance"/"The Hills Have Eyes" type horror novel set in the Appalachians, and it seems genuinely creepy and way cool. One reviewer called it the scariest vampire novel to come along since "Salem's Lot", and that sealed the deal for me.

I'm embarking on a Bentley Little binge myself - I picked up "The House" at the library yesterday and I'm almost finished, so I'm going to put holds on all his other work that's available. Gory, sure, and the sexual aspect is distasteful, but somehow engrossing and entertaining at the same time. Fun, in a morbid way.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My favorite Bentley Little book is "The Mailman".

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne;2824596;
    My favorite Bentley Little book is "The Mailman".
    Ooh, I haven't read that one yet. I'll make sure to get it.

Has anyone read Scott Nicholson btw?

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Any John Saul fans out there? I read so many of his books back in my school days. "Comes the Blind Fury", "Suffer the Children", "Nathaniel" just to name a few. Havne't read any of his recent stuff though.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast