+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Re: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Jeffrey Sackett is one of my all-time favorite horror writers!

"Candlemas Eve", "Stolen Souls" and "Mark of the Werewolf" are all wonderful!

Cant recall the name of his vampire novel, right at this second (I mightve mixed up the title with his werewolf novel), but it was a killer read, too! If I remember, I'll post it laterl

Graham Masterson is another great horror writer.

"Picture of Evil" and "The Manitou" (among others) totally reeled me in.

Love Peter Straub and Dean Koontz.

"Harvest Home" by Thomas Tryon is also one of my favorites!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2336535;
    I've read almost all of their collaborations and I recommend them fully. They are quite exciting and most of the characters are quirky and interesting. The movie of the Relic was not even close to as exciting as the book. There is a trilogy in that series and I recommend you start at the beginning because the amount of characters can get confusing.

I also read Tyr Canyon and liked it.
    Is "Relic" the beginning of the series, then? Or is it something else? I keep meaning to make a visit to a local used bookstore with a list from this thread.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2359859;
    Is "Relic" the beginning of the series, then? Or is it something else? I keep meaning to make a visit to a local used bookstore with a list from this thread.
    Yes, "Relic" starts the trilogy - I think you'll enjoy it - the characters are quite interesting. I know what you mean about the books I am discovering i this thread. I use it to reserve books at my library.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I finished The Ruins a couple of weeks ago, and I admit to being a little disappointed. Anyone see the movie Cabin Fever? The plotline of Ruins was awfully close to it.

This isn't really a horror book, but I just finished Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island. This one is a real page-turner. Lehane is the guy who wrote Mystic River, another excellent read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ooh, I loooovvved Shutter Island - it inspired me to read every other Dennis Lehane book going. The one minor flaw with it is I will never be able to read it again. My middle-aged memory has the one bonus in that I can reread everything on my shelves because I have no recollection of what happened or who did what. However, I doubt that I will ever forget the end of Shutter Island.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2360575;
    I finished The Ruins a couple of weeks ago, and I admit to being a little disappointed. Anyone see the movie Cabin Fever? The plotline of Ruins was awfully close to it.
    Yep, I've seen Cabin Fever and enjoyed the premise of it, although I felt the movie in itself was flawed. I've been meaning to check out The Ruins but seeing that several FORTers whose taste in books I admire and tend to agree with have given it lukewarm reviews, I just might wait for the paperback. We'll see.

This isn't really a horror book, but I just finished Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island. This one is a real page-turner. Lehane is the guy who wrote Mystic River, another excellent read.

Another Shutter Island fan here. I read it a couple of years ago and loved it. Passed it on to my fiancÚ and my dad - they both loved it, too. It's definitely up there on my top 10 all time favourite crime novels, along with the likes of And Then They Were None. The ending had me literally gasping - didn't see that one coming. It would make an awsome movie, don't you think? I vaguely remember reading something about it being optioned for movie rights, but nothing has happened since then. Too bad. For some reason I kept imagining the main character as Russell Crowe. Any other casting ideas?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2360304;
    Yes, "Relic" starts the trilogy - I think you'll enjoy it - the characters are quite interesting. I know what you mean about the books I am discovering i this thread. I use it to reserve books at my library.
    What's the third one? I did pick up Relic and Reliquary, and quite enjoyed them -- their structure reminded me of Dan Brown's books, although with better writing. And the whole Museum of Natural History angle is new and interesting (to me, at least).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Is it Riptide? I can't remember and Google and I had an argument this morning so we're not really speaking at the moment...

Lucy, have you read Brimstone, Dance of Death, and Book of the Dead? I've heard they are very good and I picked all three up at a book sale this weekend. I started Brimstone on Sunday. I'll let you know how they turn out. So far, so good!

elk

Lincoln Child and Douglass Preston

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2389437;
    What's the third one? I did pick up Relic and Reliquary, and quite enjoyed them -- their structure reminded me of Dan Brown's books, although with better writing. And the whole Museum of Natural History angle is new and interesting (to me, at least).
    Hi Lucy

The Cabinet of Curiosities is #3 in the trilogy and now I recall it was my favorite:

"In the 19th century, New Yorkers flocked to collections of strange and grotesque oddities called "cabinets of curiosities." Now, in lower Manhattan, a modern apartment tower is slated to rise on the site of one of the old cabinets. Yet when the excavators break into a basement, they uncover a charnel pit of horror: the remains of thirty-six people murdered and gruesomely dismembered over 130 years ago by an unknown serial killer.

In the aftermath, FBI Special Agent Pendergast and museum archaeologist Nora Kelly embark on an investigation that unearths the faint whisper of a mysterious doctor who once roamed the city, carrying out medical experiments on living human beings. But just as Nora and Pendergast begin to unravel the clues to the century-old killings, a fresh spree of murder and surgical mutilation erupts around them. . . and New York City is awash in terror."

There are some more novels with Nora Kelly and Agent Pendergast, too.

Let me know if you'd like to read them and maybe I'll reread them, too.
    Last edited by elk; 05-15-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: ETA - Remote Goddess has mentioned the 3 other Pendergast books in the post above.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I'm reading the Anita Blake vampire slayer series and I think they're really good. The author is Laurell K. Hamilton
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast