+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

elk

Re: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ChgoBurbs;2325547;
    You are thinking of "The Dark Secrets of Harvest Home" a made for TV movie. Tryon wrote both The Other and Harvest Home. "The Other" was made into a theatrical movie.
    You are absolutely right! The Other was the one with twins, right?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I've recently read Heart Shaped Box and The Ruins. I would have to say of the two, I preferred The Ruins. I think I've become somewhat burned out on horror so I can't really give a fair review, but I found Heart Shaped Box to be a little unfocused. It's not a bad book, though, and definitely worth reading - particularly for horror fans. The Ruins I thought was much more atmospheric and subsequently terrifying, and likely a book I will remember for quite a while. I do have to say, it possibly owes a small debt to the Stephen King short-story, Cars.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Have any of my fellow horror acifionados read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson? I started it last night and so far, I'm enjoying it immensely. It's part sci-fi, part post-apocalyptic dystopia and part vampire novel. Good stuff.

Oh, and if you're looking for a good collection of short stories, I know just the thing. I finished The October Country by Ray Bradbury over the weekend and loved almost every story in it. My favourite was "Skeleton", a story of a man who becomes obsessed with his own skeleton, with some rather horrific consequences. It freaked the heck out of me.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Has anyone read any books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I came across them on Amazon while looking up some other book, probably one recommended here. They co-wrote a few novels that seem to be semi-supernatural, semi-thriller, like "Relic," which I remember being a movie.

anyway, just wondered if anyone has read those and recommends them or not.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I think I read one of theirs and it might have been Relic. I think it was set in a natural history musem. It wasn't award-winning prose or anything, but I remember enjoying it. I remember also that it was a pretty quick read.

Was it a movie shown in theaters or one of those schlocky ones on SciFi?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think it was in theaters. If I've seen the movie I don't remember it. All my knowledge comes from the Amazon reviews.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

You're right, Lucy - it was in theaters. I checked it out on imdb: Relic. Not a bad cast either....not a stellar one, but not bad. From what I remember of the plot, it was very similar to those cheesy movies SciFi churns out on an alarmingly regular basis. Not that I watch them or anything
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I thought the name Douglas Preston sounded familiar, so I googled him. I haven't read any of the collaborations he's done with Lincoln Child, but my mother just loaned me Tyrannasaur Canyon (one of his solo works); she said it was a pretty good book. I have it in my growing stack of "to read" books, but with the weather finally improving, I've been spending more time out and about and less time reading, so who knows when I'll get to it.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2333217;
    Has anyone read any books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I came across them on Amazon while looking up some other book, probably one recommended here. They co-wrote a few novels that seem to be semi-supernatural, semi-thriller, like "Relic," which I remember being a movie.

anyway, just wondered if anyone has read those and recommends them or not.

I've read almost all of their collaborations and I recommend them fully. They are quite exciting and most of the characters are quirky and interesting. The movie of the Relic was not even close to as exciting as the book. There is a trilogy in that series and I recommend you start at the beginning because the amount of characters can get confusing.

I also read Tyr Canyon and liked it.
    Last edited by elk; 04-18-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added to post
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I've started The Ruins - I'm finding it to be a bit slow, at least now in the beginning. And similar to The Da Vinci Code, it's very obviously written with the intention of turning the story into a screenplay, which is a bit of a turn-off. What I do like, though, is the author's effort to really flesh out his characters (the four main ones, anyway).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast