+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2260615;
    I'm so glad you mentioned Ray Bradbury! I've been meaning to read something of his ever since I read Stephen King's Danse Macabre - a great and enthusiastic introduction to horror in pop culture, by the way. The way he described Bradbury's work made me really eager to explore his writing. Also, my brother is a big Bradbury fan, and we tend to like the same things, so I really don't know why it's taken me this long to pick up something of his. Perhaps Something Wicked This Way Comes is a good place to start? My brother can't stop talking about how much he loved The October Country, so you might want to check that one out if you haven't already, Lucy.
    I'll look into it -- the only Bradbury I've ever read, besides short stories, was that one and Farenheit 451. I do think you'll like "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I ought to reread it myself, it's been years.

Yay, a Straub fan! I'll let you know how I like Hellfire Club as soon as I've finished it. I'm relatively new to Peter Straub: so far, I've only read Ghost Story and Lost Boy Lost Girl as well as his collaborations with Stephen King. I've loved everything I've read, though, so I imagine I'll end up reading all of his work eventually. I'll definitely check out the trilogy you mentioned.
    I just finished "Shadowlands," and while it was creepy, I did not love it the way I loved "Ghost Story." I'll still try some of his others, though.

Has anyone read Roald Dahl's short stories, by the way? Many of them are decidedly horror. Very creepy and atmospheric. My favourite story is probably "The Landlady". It actually inspired me to write a short story of my own, a continuation of sorts, back in high school.
    Adult short stories? I didn't know Roald Dahl even wrote adult ones. I used to read all his children's books, I loved them. Although looking back, I can see how they were just a few steps away from out-and-out horror books.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2286507;

Adult short stories? I didn't know Roald Dahl even wrote adult ones. I used to read all his children's books, I loved them. Although looking back, I can see how they were just a few steps away from out-and-out horror books.
    Yep, adult short stories. And you're right, the difference between his out-and-out horror stories and his stories for children isn't all that big. I, too, loved his children's books growing up, especially Mathilda and Witches. The latter is a pretty obvious example of kid-oriented horror, now that I think of it; several passages scared the crap out of me.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just noticed this thread.

Been a long time since I've read these but these came to mind:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Other by Thomas Tryon

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChgoBurbs;2292191;
    The Other by Thomas Tryon
    Great book! Very creepy... very old... very good!
    Last edited by remote_goddess; 03-22-2007 at 04:55 PM.

elk

Re: Blood, gore, and ghouls. Beware, beware the horror thread!

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2292333;
    Great book! Very creepy... very old... very good!
    I loved this book. I remember the miniseries staring Bette Davis in the '70s based on it - spooky!

I just read a truly chilling book by Scott Smith (author of A Simple Plan) called the Ruins (2006). I recomend that everyone go out and read this. It had me on the edge of my seat, not knowing what would happen next.

I enjoyed the style of writing very much.

This is a quick read and is absolutely haunting! Please read it, I'd love to be able to discuss it with someone.
    Last edited by elk; 04-11-2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: corrected date
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2324793;

I just read a truly chilling book by Scott Smith (author of A Simple Plan) called the Ruins (2006). I recomend that everyone go out and read this. It had me on the edge of my seat, not knowing what would happen next.

I enjoyed the style of writing very much.

This is a quick read and is absolutely haunting! Please read it, I'd love to be able to discuss it with someone.
    I keep meaning to pick it up whenever I walk by a bookstore, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to it it. I remember reading a rave review of it by Joe Hill, whose novel Heart-Shaped Box is another book that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and making a mental note to look for it. The premise is very intriguing - nice and creepy. Thanks for reminding me, elk. I'll make sure to read it soon so that we can discuss it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2324911;
    I keep meaning to pick it up whenever I walk by a bookstore, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to it it. I remember reading a rave review of it by Joe Hill, whose novel Heart-Shaped Box is another book that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and making a mental note to look for it. The premise is very intriguing - nice and creepy. Thanks for reminding me, elk. I'll make sure to read it soon so that we can discuss it.
    GTG, I will look forward to our discussion!

I started Heart Shaped Box a couple of weeks ago, right after double hand surgery so it was too difficult for me to hold a book to read it. I ended up taking it back to the library and will have to wait until my hands are more usable.

The premise was certainly intriguing.
    Last edited by elk; 04-11-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: insert paragraph break
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I read an excerpt of "Heart-Shaped Box" online, and was pretty sucked in. Not so much that I'm going to go buy a hardback of it, though. I'd love to hear a review from anyone who reads it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm number 37 on the library wait list for Heart-Shaped Box.

I'm going to check out Ruins as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2324793;
    I loved this book. I remember the miniseries staring Bette Davis in the '70s based on it - spooky!
    You are thinking of "The Dark Secrets of Harvest Home" a made for TV movie. Tryon wrote both The Other and Harvest Home. "The Other" was made into a theatrical movie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast