+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Better Or Worse

For Better Or Worse

Just read in the paper today that Lynn johnston is semi-retiring from writing and drawing the " For Better Or Worse" daily comic strip. As of this next September, the Patterson's will officially stop growing up.
    There will be flashback episodes and "what ever happened to that character? " storylines.
    I am heartbroken. I loved growing up these past thirty years with Elly, John,Michael, Elizabeth, April and the various assortment of people that lived in that world. She always showed that life is stressful, joyous, funny and real.

Happy semi retirement Lynn.
    We will miss you and your family.
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

Quote Originally Posted by technomage500;2230570;
    Just read in the paper today that Lynn johnston is semi-retiring from writing and drawing the " For Better Or Worse" daily comic strip. As of this next September, the Patterson's will officially stop growing up.
    There will be flashback episodes and "what ever happened to that character? " storylines.
    I am heartbroken. I loved growing up these past thirty years with Elly, John,Michael, Elizabeth, April and the various assortment of people that lived in that world. She always showed that life is stressful, joyous, funny and real.

Happy semi retirement Lynn.
    We will miss you and your family.
    NOOOOOO! I need some major resolutions then!
    First Foxtrot and now this! I am down to only two must read comics now.

FORT Fan
    I, too, am SO sorry to see this wonderful strip fall by the wayside!
    Michael is a combination of the personalities of my eldest daughter (30) and son (Michael-28), Elizabeth is just like my middle daughter (26) and April is just like my youngest daughter (20). I've been married for 32 years--have been and will always BE a newspaper subscriber (no matter what!)--and our family has grown up alongside the Patterson family. We followed along when our kids were growing up....while they were away at various colleges...and now that they're grown and living in far away states. Silly? probably....but Lynn made us care about them....and they became real....and they did real things and evoked real feelings within us. Who could not identify with Ellie as she wiped out the 'yuk' growing in the bottom of the dog's water dish? Duh! And here I thought I was the only one who did chores like that!! My husband's family is Canadian, my father-in-law had a stroke, too...and his wife took care of him and all of us have had a 'friend' like Becky in our life! Our lives mirrored so many of the same things! The people are the same--only the names are different!
    A sad day indeed when I first read that the end is nigh....and I was able to forward and share it over email with my kids as well...and their response was to share their sadness over the news!
    God's Blessings to Lynn for sharing the Patterson Family with us for all of these years. We wish her peace and happiness in her retirement! xox

This is the ONLY comic I read anymore. It's been with me after Bloom County, Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes took premature retirements. Isn't there SOMEONE that can continue it for her? There are other, far less rewarding, strips that have managed it.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

MRD
    NOOOOOO
    April and my daughter are the same age and I have spent 16 years now really identifying with this strip because of this. Both were "born" the same week.
    I have strips cut out and in my daughter's baby book that I thought were relevant to what I was going through with my own baby at the time.
    I am going to really miss this.

First the Far Side, then Bloom County, then Calvin and Hobbes, Cathy getting married and now this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: For Better Or Worse

I had heard rumors awhile ago (years) that it was going to end this is so sad. Poor Elizabeth will be single forever! Just don't put her with Anthony to tie everything up he is so geeky and to old looking for her. I know I know he's just drawn that way!

Yikes... it can't happen. My children were like mirror images of the Patterson's kids. It was uncanny how much alike they were. I want closure! I don't want "lizard breath" to be left alone for the rest of eternity. What about April? Will she stay an eternal teen? Even only doing a weekend strip, like Foxtrot would be better! I wish her godspeed, but I will miss this tremendously!

I've saved this comic as the last one to read on Sundays for the past how many years. Funky Winkerbean has been the next to the last. I will surely miss this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2327399;
    I've saved this comic as the last one to read on Sundays for the past how many years. Funky Winkerbean has been the next to the last. I will surely miss this.
    Holy Smokes! Don't even threaten about Funky....too bad there's not a forum for that!! Bull and his wife are thinking of adopting and can't fit the pieces together that Lisa is Darrin's mother...and is Darrin gonna knock up his girlfriend that just found out that he's adopted and can't ANYONE see that he is a 'clone' of Lisa?!?! You just know that eventually Darrin will have to become a bone marrow donor to save her life....they WILL have to find him. Sorry....me and my morning newspaper with a cup of coffee or three is how I start the day!! For real...we all read the sections of the paper and discuss EVERYthing...
    Last edited by Beccarella; 04-12-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: need to learn to type!

+ Reply to Thread