+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2310271;
    Depending on how I feel about the last book... I might see the movies after I finish it. Once you see the film, the actor's face supplants the one your mind made up and I'm not sure I want to change that. If the ending is disappointing, then I will probaby go back and see them all, in order.

That's how I feel- I've resisted in seeing the movies because I'm afraid it'll affect the way I see the books (in my mind, of course). One of the great things about Harry Potter is the amount of imagination one can involve in reading the books. I'm also not sure I'm interested in the theme park. The books have given me the sense that Hogwarts is not the kind of place one can physically construct with the existing laws of gravity and physics. And while I'm sure technology can do amazing things (I bet they'll make a killer wall leading to platform 9 3/4), seeing someone's rendition of Hogwarts colors the way I've imagined it. I'm not sure I want to give that up.

Two years ago, we were in Maine when the book came out. I had no trouble getting it the next day, and read the entire book sprawled on a floatie on the lake. It took me five hours, and the sunburn I had afterwards was well worth it. If I'm in Maine again, and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    any of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Fred, or George die,
    , that book may very well end up in the lake.

FORT Fanatic

I think they cast the movies really well, most of the characters in the movie look like I imagined them when I was reading. Probably because JKR had so much input. The only one that bothers me is Dumbledore after Richard Harris died. He looked EXACTLY how I had him pictured and sounded. The new one does not! Oh well I guess death is a good excuse for a recast!
    I heard peter o'toole is who the harris family wanted to replace him but he was committed to something else. I would have liked him too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2430834;
    I think they cast the movies really well, most of the characters in the movie look like I imagined them when I was reading. Probably because JKR had so much input. The only one that bothers me is Dumbledore after Richard Harris died. He looked EXACTLY how I had him pictured and sounded. The new one does not! Oh well I guess death is a good excuse for a recast!
    I heard peter o'toole is who the harris family wanted to replace him but he was committed to something else. I would have liked him too!
    I agree. The characters look very much like I imagined them to. I had pictured Dobby and when the movie came out...I about fell over. He was exactly how I pictured him! It was great! They've done an excellant job casting. My only problem is...I think it was the 3rd movie...when they switched directors? I didn't like the movies as much as the books after that. The first two movies were pretty much dead on with the books, but the later movies skipped things and added things. Also, the new Dumbledore...my hubby and I both agree on this...he yells too much. The original Dumbledore had a presence about him so he didn't have to yell. He could 'boom' without sounding like a tyrant..lol. The new one doesn't have that quality and it doesn't fit with the character, IMHO.

I originally had no interest in reading the books. A relative bought the first one for my boys for Christmas. They read it and loved it. When the movie came out, we took them to see it. I figured I could catch a little snooze while they watched. Yeah. That didn't happen. I ended up watching in delight! When I got home, I grabbed the book and started reading! I think by that time 2 or 3 of them were out. I just kept reading....Now, my hubby pre-orders the books for me. The boys are teens now and they will watch the movie but getting them to read for pleasure is damn near impossible.

I'm looking forward to the last book. I don't think Snape is what he appears to be. I just hope none of my beloved kids (Harry, Hermione, Ron) die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2395554;
    Last time, I just went to Walmart at midnight. There was a crowd, but not a huge one, and there were plenty of books. I'm not going anywhere near an actual bookstore, much less one that's having a release party that night.
    Me neither! I preordered mine through Barnes and Noble online and it'll arrive at my door on the release date. No crowds, no lines.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2430848;
    The boys are teens now and they will watch the movie but getting them to read for pleasure is damn near impossible.

I'm looking forward to the last book. I don't think Snape is what he appears to be. I just hope none of my beloved kids (Harry, Hermione, Ron) die.

katgib13, check your library and get them the books on CD or tape. My boys would never read the books but loved the movies. I borrowed the books on CD and they love the fact that they could listen to them. My oldest then went back and read them all from the beginning. The youngest has asked for his on set of the books on CD.

I also pre-order my books from Barnes and Noble. I get them on the release date and no lines.

I agree with you about Snape and look forward to seeing if I'm right. I think Dumbledore know what was going to happen and told Snape to kill him to keep from having Draco Malfoy involved. I also hope Harry , Hermione, and Ron survive.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

See, I just don't know if I can pre-order and then bear to sit there for half a day, hours past midnight, waiting for it to arrive and knowing other people have the book and it's out there. I'm going to go to Walmart that night, I think. In the meantime I'm rereading the other six.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2431698;
    katgib13, check your library and get them the books on CD or tape. My boys would never read the books but loved the movies. I borrowed the books on CD and they love the fact that they could listen to them. My oldest then went back and read them all from the beginning. The youngest has asked for his on set of the books on CD.

That is a great idea. They might actually like that. I will have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

FORT Fanatic

We download them from Itunes and listen to them in the car too.

I am rereading OOTP for the movie and HBP for the book. We will all go out with the crowds and then off to Walmart 24hr store to get it quick. I will stay up all night and read and then start the cd's in the car for the little one and the older will claw at the door for the book till I am done. Maybe I will have to splurge on two books to pacify the older one who reads slower than me.

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2432516;
    We download them from Itunes and listen to them in the car too.

I am rereading OOTP for the movie and HBP for the book. We will all go out with the crowds and then off to Walmart 24hr store to get it quick. I will stay up all night and read and then start the cd's in the car for the little one and the older will claw at the door for the book till I am done. Maybe I will have to splurge on two books to pacify the older one who reads slower than me.
    Or you could make it a family event and read our loud to them.... might be fun. But then again I guess that is what the CDs are for... and man does Jim dale do an excellent job!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait till the new book gets here!
    "We're going to have to watch that again" - John Locke

My adult "bookie" friends and I get our copies and then go to the Getty Museum above Los Angeles and sit out on the grass or under the trees and read together... makes for a memorable day.
    Tahoe bound....

+ Reply to Thread