+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

One book is titled the order of the phoenix. Dumbledore's pet is a phoenix, Fawkes who comes to rescue Harry in the first book. When Harry first meets Fawkes he is about to go up in Flames. Fawkes tears heal Harry's wounds in another book. The Order of the Phoenix is alluding to the rebirth of the good wizarding world. These are just a few examples.

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    fair enough.

Not how I took it... but that is what is great about these books. Yes Fawks is a phoenix... I wouldn't take that as elluding to rising from the ashes... I would take that as that is what this creature does, it is it's nature. I thought you were meaning more subtle references of rising from the ashes not scenes literally involving a creature whos nature is to be reborn from its ashes. I always just thought the name Order of the Phoenix just refered to the organization built by Dumbledore since he is definitely in tune with the nature of the phoenix (his patronus and pet) that an organization built by him would appropriatly named the group (Order) built by (of) Dumbledore (the Phoenix).

However... if Dumbledore "rises from the ashes" in book 7... I conceed on all accounts :smiley
    "We're going to have to watch that again" - John Locke

Oh I didn't just mean it in specific real examples. I just finished re-reading The Order of the Phoenix and the metaphor is alive and well. The entire ending screamed "rising from the ashes". Again, these are specifically meant for children and thus IMHO the morals and metaphors will be a bit more heavy handed than a book written for adults. Hidden meanings and double entendre is lost on young children. Granted this is a good read for any age, but she isn't going to make it too sophisticated.

If there were too many "hidden meanings" there would be mass book burnings in some of the more southern states, who already feel that the book promotes witchcraft. In each of her books, good triumphs over evil. Usually not without a few losses. The morality of the book is what really appeals to children. These characters are righteous, fun-loving, but warriors none the less. Children love to have heroes that are their own age. It is empowering to think that children (teens) are out saving the world from the addled adults who have made a huge mess of it all. Of course, there are the obligatory "good" adults, but by-in-large, the kids are the heroes. Having control over magic and thus over some of their environment really thrills children because in their real lives they have little, if no control. Rowling really knows how to inspire her readers. Even many of us adults can escape for awhile into a place where good will always win out.... that is until the last book. That is why it is imperative that she not end the series on a losing ending note. Oh there will be losses, some very painful, but there will be hope for a brighter day. Darn... that Phoenix thing again

oops... there I go writing a book

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

I can't believe how much I am looking forward to this book! I've already warned everyone I know (Potter fans and non-fans alike) that if they hear anything spoilerish--DO NOT TELL ME! I was to experience it as Ms. Rowling intended.

I've spent some time over the past few days reading Harry Potter editorials on mugglenet and the leaky cauldron websites. There are some amazingly well written and insightful pieces. I hope I didn't ruin the fun of the seventh book because I think some of them have hit the nail on the head with their theories.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;2395169;
    I've spent some time over the past few days reading Harry Potter editorials on mugglenet and the leaky cauldron websites. There are some amazingly well written and insightful pieces. I hope I didn't ruin the fun of the seventh book because I think some of them have hit the nail on the head with their theories.
    that's what I've been doing too. I'm looking forward to the book, I just can't decide whether to order it online or go fight children for it at midnight.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Me too!!! I just finished rereading the whole series and then "Mugglenet.com's What Will Happen In Harry Potter 7". There are some interesting theories in there that I hadn't considered before.

My teenage kids are excited too and we've had some interesting discussions. I'm #2 on the reserve list at the library so should get it the first day. They are having a release party in the hours leading up to midnight, so we should be able to get it at about 12:01am. Our 14 year old son has our permission to stay up and read it. It'll probably only take him about 3 hours. But he has to be quiet and not wake anyone else up. Then he is going to leave it outside his older sister's door. I'll probably get it Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

eta: We'll all probably have to stay off of the internet until we've read it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2395223;
    that's what I've been doing too. I'm looking forward to the book, I just can't decide whether to order it online or go fight children for it at midnight.
    Haha! Exactly my thoughts--I've preordered it from Amazon (I preordered books 5 and 6 too). I remember book 5 being delivered on the release date, but there was some mixup with book 6 and I knew I wouldn't get it until the next week so I went to the bookstore at midnight, thinking I could grab a copy. It was nutso. I ended up going back the next morning and it was more tolerable, but that meant I was 9 hours behind everyone else! Unacceptable !
    Don't let the small things sweat

Last time, I just went to Walmart at midnight. There was a crowd, but not a huge one, and there were plenty of books. I'm not going anywhere near an actual bookstore, much less one that's having a release party that night.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Oldest DD entered a drawing at Borders and had her name selected for a guaranteed copy available for her purchasing pleasure at 12:01... We're all excited around my house! I haven't re-read any of these books - just read them each as they were released. I think that sounds like a plan: while DD is reading this one, I'll re-read all the others, so I'll be ready!

FORT Fanatic

Our youngest is old enough to go to the release party this year so she is beyond excited to go! We have gone to the last two but she couldn't go and was very crabby about it! She wasn't quite old enough to read the books alone so we got the cd's for the car and listened to them on trips and to and from school. Now we have downloaded the most recent on our ipod and we listen to them there. She has just started reading the first book for herself.
    The party is fun with children it is crowded but they dress up and have all kinds of activities so they love it plus they get to stay up really late.

We then cruise to a 24 hour walmart at midnight and buy it and some snacks for the reading the next day and it goes really fast!

We recently head that Universal Studios is looking into building a Harry potter attraction/land at their theme parks. That would be so great as there is so much material for a theme park. Scary creatures for rides, Diagon alley for shops, restaurants, 4D type attraction, all kinds of stuff!

+ Reply to Thread