+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Quote Originally Posted by theatregirl25;2300801;
    The cover art was revealed today. It is very cool. I want to get the US edition and the UK Adult version, which I have no idea how to get.
    You can go to the amazon UK site and order any of the British versions there. It is just a normal order, other than the calculations will be in pounds not dollars.

I guess there are different artists for different versions, there is also 2 different UK editions one "child" and one "adult" because apparently adults riding on the tube do not want to be seen reading a "children's book"
    Is the UK adult one different than the US adult one? I think that both are the same. The children's books always had different covers and different spellings inside and sometimes on the cover...things of that nature. That is why I always get the British one.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    There will be slight language (jumper vs sweater) and editing differences in the US and UK versions. The UK versions don't have the chapter art and generally dont use a specific font for letters or other stuff. But the story is the same.

FORT Fanatic
    I can't wait to get this one! July can't come soon enough. It is a whole HP month!

Ok, I finally found my copy of the first book and reread the first chapter. I think it might fortell the end of the series in the line of the first chapter.

In general, I have found that when I have reread one of the books I found things I missed the first time, or at least missed their importance. I think that this will happen again. People, things and events that didn't seem particularly important in earlier books will have new meaning in the 7th book.

I hope she doesn't kill off Harry for the reason that future generations will not want to read the series since they know he dies in the end. It kind of spoils the entire series, in that everyone knows he is ok and that he will be until the last book. The cliffhangers lose their meaning.

I think she has to leave the end up for interpretation.. food for thought. Who knows, she may change her mind at some point and write a number 8. Kind of hard to do if she kills everyone off, unless she does the whole prequel thing like Star Wars did.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2302828;
    Ok, I finally found my copy of the first book and reread the first chapter. I think it might fortell the end of the series in the line of the first chapter.

In general, I have found that when I have reread one of the books I found things I missed the first time, or at least missed their importance. I think that this will happen again. People, things and events that didn't seem particularly important in earlier books will have new meaning in the 7th book.

I hope she doesn't kill off Harry for the reason that future generations will not want to read the series since they know he dies in the end. It kind of spoils the entire series, in that everyone knows he is ok and that he will be until the last book. The cliffhangers lose their meaning.

I think she has to leave the end up for interpretation.. food for thought. Who knows, she may change her mind at some point and write a number 8. Kind of hard to do if she kills everyone off, unless she does the whole prequel thing like Star Wars did.
    What's your thought about the end, skyhigh? Put it in spoiler tags. I love hearing people's ideas. (If you don't know, to make a spoiler you write
    [ spoiler] Write the spoiler here [ /spoiler]. But without the spaces in the square brackets).

I don't know that her killing off Harry would keep future generations from reading the series. People still read Romeo & Juliet even though they know the two die in th end. Anyhow, at this point I think Rowling has sold enough books that she's not worried about future sales. That said, I hope she doesn't kill off Harry (or Hermione or Ron).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic
    I think the Deathly Hallows is somewhat parallell to the Hallows of the Knights of the round table of the King Aurthur stories. They had to follow hallows to get the cup, sword, spear and a dish I think. Now Harry will have to get the cup of hullflepuff, the sword of griffindor, the locket (dish) of slytherin and the wand (spear) of Ravenclaw. Not sure what will happen once he does but I think that is the reason for the title and a place to start.

I definately think ole Snape is marked for death and I just hope that it isn't Harry, Ron or Hermione. I can't imagine who the main characters are that will die. Voldemort surely don't you think? But who else? Snape, Neville, one of the twins or maybe Hagrid? I get dizzy just trying to think it all out.

Ok CC... Here's my thoughts.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the last line of the 1st chapter says he will always be known as the "boy who lived." Two things: live is past tense and it refers to him as "the boy" ... is there no "man" ?

ok... hope that comes out the right way

Killing off Harry, Ron and Hermione would be like killing off Nancy Drew or one of the Hardy Boys. Those are long lasting series with lots of cliff hangers. It's really too bad that the Harry Potter books have been made into films. There is little incentive for kids to plow through these long books since they will know the ending and it is easier to watch than to read.

Personally, I won't and haven't ever seen a film of a book that is one of my favorites. I like the pictures I have in my head and seeing the film would change that for all time.
    Last edited by skyhigh79; 03-29-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: tried to add on...

FORT Fanatic
    That makes sense but I guess since
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he was a boy when it happened he was the "boy" who lived. Maybe he won't have to survive the killing curse this time he will just live because he kills Voldermort and then still always be known as the boy who lived because he is still the only one to ever survive that curse. Are you saying then that Harry dies because it doesn't say Man?

My first time doing spoiler brackets hope it worked.

hee hee... spoiler brackets are fun

I think it could be interpreted in a couple of ways. I had the same thougts as you too.

If I had a few months to go back and reread everything and look for clues i might get a better idea of the direction of the end.

I maybe alone, but I have always wanted to see Hermione with Harry at the end, not Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2302828;
    I don't believe it would be at all difficult for her (or another) to devise a way to resurrect characters even if they'd been without a shadow or a doubt blown to smithereens earlier.

The ability to do so corresponds with the desire to do so. Aided by all those readers who'd be disposed to overlook any descrepencies the character reappearance might present.

+ Reply to Thread