+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

FORT Fanatic
    Adult versions are also available in Canada.

I'd like to know what's special about the $65 "special edition". What would make anyone pay almost triple for the same book you can get for $24?

Last Harry Potter book already No. 1

Last Harry Potter book already No. 1
    Final chapter in boy wizard saga tops charts on Amazon, Barnes & Noble after one day of pre-orders.
    By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
    February 2 2007: 6:42 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The final chapter of the Harry Potter series has at least one thing in common with the first six - it's already a runaway best seller, six months before it hits store shelves.

Online book retailer Amazon.com (Charts) and the Web site of Barnes & Noble (Charts) were both listing the next book in the popular series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," as the No. 1 seller Friday, a day after they began taking pre-orders for the book that will hit store shelves on July 21.

What's more, a deluxe edition of the book, which has a $65 list price rather than the $34.99 list price for the standard edition, is the No. 2 seller on both sites.

Both sites are listing the books at a discount for customers who pre-order. Amazon is selling the standard edition for $18.89 and the deluxe version for $39, while Barnes & Noble is charging $20.99 and $45.50, with its members getting a larger discount.

The announcement Thursday of the new book's release date may have stirred sales of the first six books in the series as well. Barnes & Noble lists a box set of paperback editions of the books as the No. 26 best seller on its list, and book No. 6, "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" at No. 28. Amazon lists the box set at No. 55, and book No. 6 at No. 71 on its list of best sellers.

Interest in the final book could be heightened by comments from author J.K. Rowling that two characters will be killed off in the final book. Some have speculated Harry Potter might not survive. Some major characters have been killed in earlier works.

But even without that intrigue, the earlier Potter books have seen explosive sales as soon as they were available to their loyal fans.

Scholastic (Charts), the series' U.S. publisher, said "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" was the fastest-selling book in U.S. history, with 6.9 million copies selling in the United States in the first 24 hours.

British publisher Bloomsbury Publishing, which has the ultimate rights to the book that it franchises around the world, said that book sold just over 2 million copies in Britain in the first 24 hours.

Overall the series has sold 325 million copies worldwide and been translated into 64 languages since its initial publication in 1997, according to Bloomsbury's statement.

Bloomsbury said an audio version of the new book, read by Stephen Fry, will be released simultaneously with the print edition for the first time.

The final book also comes out a week after the July 13 release date of the fifth movie, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," from Time Warner (Charts) unit Warner Bros. Time Warner is also the parent of CNNMoney.com.

The first four Harry Potter movies have raked in $3.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

The most recent film, 2005's "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," did worldwide box office of $892 million, making it the second-best grossing film in the series, behind the first, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which did $976 million after its 2001 release.

The sixth movie in the series, "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" tentatively has been given a Nov. 21, 2008, release date.
    http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/02/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I was just coming in to post this. Isn't that insane? I love it! Of course, I haven't pre-ordered and probably won't. I'll take my chances that the local bookstore will have hundreds of copies.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2224277;
    You can see that with out the book in London production of Equus. Not sure the pics are FORT safe, lol. I have a link if you wanna PM me Hes really grown up if i say so myself... and a lot of Potter fans are upset over this.

The "Adult Version" has more grown-up art work on the cover and, well yeah thats pretty much it. You are able to order them on line, because as mentioned i think they are only in the UK.

I guess its for the people in the world who dont think they are ready to admit they are over the age of 16 and read Harry Potter

I myself can't care less, but some of the Adult Covers are nice but there is a charm in the normal ole kiddie ones.
    They sell the adult covers in Canada, too. I don't know about the US. I've bought the adult covers for the last two books as I liked them better. I've never particularly liked the "children/regular" covers myself (don't really like the drawings). I'd already bought the previous books with the children's covers, though, and wasn't going to shell out more money for adult covers for those books so I do have some children's covers in my collection.

Whee! July 21st can't come too soon. I won't pre-order because I'm sure the store will have more than enough (as ArchieComicFan says). And I won't order from the online store because I don't want to sit around on the Saturday waiting for the mail truck.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-02-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I preordered one of the past ones, but for the last one that came out, I just went to Walmart at midnight. I felt a bit silly, but they did have tons of copies.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2225162;
    I preordered one of the past ones, but for the last one that came out, I just went to Walmart at midnight. I felt a bit silly, but they did have tons of copies.
    Lucy.. I did the same.. and saved like 10 bucks to boot!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I pre-ordered the British adult and children's versions at Amazon uk. I will sign up at my local Borders store to go to the midnight release party like I did for the last one. When I read that the release date was announced I admit I cried. I am so anxious to see who survives and if Snape can be redeemed. July 21 cannot get here soon enough for me.

As soon as the Amazon email arrived I also pre-ordered. I am so happy they decided to release the book in July when speculation held that, because of the movie release, they would hold it back until Autumn. Now, if they could have released it 7-7-07, it would have been perfect.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2228707;
    As soon as the Amazon email arrived I also pre-ordered. I am so happy they decided to release the book in July when speculation held that, because of the movie release, they would hold it back until Autumn. Now, if they could have released it 7-7-07, it would have been perfect.
    No perfect would be 2-7-07 I'd be a happy woman!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Rowling 'heartbroken,' 'euphoric' at 'Potter's' end

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- How does J.K. Rowling feel now that she has finished the seventh and final Harry Potter book? As the author herself confided Tuesday on her Web site, "Charles Dickens put it better than I ever could":

"It would concern the reader little, perhaps, to know how sorrowfully the pen is laid down at the close of a two-years' imaginative task; or how an Author feels as if he were dismissing some portion of himself into the shadowy world, when a crowd of the creatures of his brain are going from him for ever," reads the passage from Dickens' preface to "David Copperfield."

Adds Rowling: "To which I can only sigh, try seventeen years, Charles."

Rowling announced February 1 that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" would come out July 21, bringing to an end one of the great phenomena of literary history. More than 325 million copies of the first six books have sold.

So, how does she feel? Having quoted Dickens, Rowling has a go at it on her own.

"I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be," she writes.

"Even while I'm mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I've finally written the ending I've been planning for so many years. I've never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric." (Need a Potter primer? Click here.)

She continues.

"If it comes as any consolation, I think that there will be plenty to continue arguing and speculating about, even after 'Deathly Hallows' comes out. So if you're not yet ready to quit the message boards, do not despair," she writes.

"I'm almost scared to admit this, but one thing has stopped me collapsing in a puddle of misery on the floor. While each of the previous Potter books has strong claims on my affections, 'Deathly Hallows' is my favorite, and that is the most wonderful way to finish the series."
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread