+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Here are a few more. The first is of a nice group of gals in costume. In the second and third pictures, you can see how packed the aisles were. I'm happy to say that I won the "First In Line" raffle! It was around 11:00 and they were having the raffle in the back of the store. At this point, it was getting a bit clausterphobic in the store, so I decided to blow off the raffle (I assumed you had to be back there and hear your ticket number called), bring my purchases and sorting hat to my car, and then get in line. So anyway, I'm in line (near the back) and an employee came back with the ticket number for the raffle looking for the winning number. I'll be darned if I didn't have the winning number! The fouth picture is of the employees up by the registers at about 11:55. The last one is of me standing by the registers. It isn't a very good picture because, at this time, I had been in costume for about five hours and I live in Arizona where it stays 100 degrees at 10:00 p.m. You can tell by my bangs that I was really warm! Anyway, I didn't even have to wait at the beginning of the line. I just stood right by the cash register so that I was purchasing the book right at 12:01. After seeing all of the images of the cover on the internet, I can't even explain what it was like seeing it right there in front of me on the counter. In the photo, you can see the line behind me. The front of the line was actually in front of me on the other side of the store. After I made my purchase and turned around, the people in line started to cheer, so I held my book over my head and there was more cheering. Then, people were high-fiving me as I left the store. lol! (I checked the photos - they don't get much bigger, but they look much better if you enlarge them.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carla; 07-24-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Carla...looks like you had a blast! Thanks for sharing the pics with us!

Well I just finished the book!!! Kind of sad to know there won't be another.

I read an JK Rowling interview today. I'll have to see if I can find it again and get the link.
    In it she said the character originally slated to die was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Mr Weasley
    and the character that was not going to die, but did was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Remus Lupin. so she traded one father for another.

And that she could see herself writing an encyclopedia of wizards, creatures, places, etc. in the Wizarding world. Not right away, but eventually. She said that she made back stories for even the peripheral characters while she was developing the story.

ETA: Stop your sobbing! More Potter to come - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com
    Last edited by anemone; 07-24-2007 at 10:14 PM.

CCL

There are some back stories/miscellany on some of the characters on her website, as I recall. People would probably gobble up information on even the minutest of characters.
    Interesting
    Click to see Spoiler:
    about Mr. Weasley being the intended victim. Of the two, I would rather have had Lupin die. I just felt more invested with Arthur. Though it was sad that Lupin & Tonk's child ended up an orphan.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I read the book over last weekend (after re-reading OOTP and HBP) and I just adored it!!! I started thinking about how I can't wait to watch the last two movies. I looked up on Imdb and was pleasantly surprised to find out HBP is slated for Nov 2008. I was afraid we would be waiting till summer 2009 for it!!

Some of my thoughts:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I was really glad that Snape turned out to be a "good guy" in the end and that we got to look into his mind to see exactly what was going on. I do not think that Snape secretly had affection for Harry, I think that Harry was a painful reminder to him that Lily ended up marrying a man he despised. I thought he wanted Harry to look at him as he died to make sure he noticed the memories he was trying to pass to him.

Loved that Neville had the "honor" of killing Nagini!!

I was also glad that the Malfoy's turned anti-Voldemort, but she did not go so far as to make them all friends with him!

I cried my way through the last several chapters, which to me is always a sign of a good book that has really drawn me in.

I agree with those who thought the epilogue needed more meat and wondered what occupations they ended up with. I also thought that Victorie was Bill/Fleur's daughter but I'm not sure it was confirmed in the book, I just thought it was more likely that they would have a child near the same age as Teddy. The other thing I really wanted to know was who raised Teddy? Both of his parents died, but it seems unlikely that Harry (as his godfather) was old enough and stable enough to fully take on the responsibility of raising him...

i think his grandmother andromeda raised him

Quote Originally Posted by antm_1fan;2513622;
    i think his grandmother andromeda raised him
    That was my feeling as well, and probably with a lot of affection from his godfather!

Rowling tells fans what happened to characters after final Harry Potter installment

Rowling tells fans what happened to characters after final Harry Potter installment
    The Associated PressPublished: July 30, 2007

Rowling tells fans what happened to characters after final Harry Potter installment - International Herald Tribune

[
    Click to see Spoiler:
    ]LONDON: Just because J.K. Rowling has stopped writing about Harry Potter and his friends and foes doesn't mean she's stopped thinking about them. On Monday, she told the series fans what she thinks happened to many of the book's characters after the final installment.

In a 90-minute live Web chat, she fielded some of the approximately 120,000 questions submitted by devotees. It was her first public comment since the last book in the series debuted on July 21.

Rowling said she was elated to share with fans the secrets she'd been harboring since she conjured up the idea for the boy wizard during a train journey across England in 1990.

"It is great to be able to do this at last," Rowling said. "I've looked forward to it for so long!"

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the last book of the record-breaking series, sold over 10 million copies in its first weekend.

Today in Culture

At Britain's Hatton Gallery: Russia's hesitant flirtation with internationalism

Review: Fairy-tale 'Stardust' careens into the happily ever after

'Baby Spice' Emma Bunton gives birth to boy

In the novel which centers on Harry's journey to kill Lord Voldemort, the most powerful dark wizard of all time the boy wizard learns of three powerful magical objects called the Deathly Hallows that, when combined, will make their owner the Master of Death, meaning he or she accepts mortality without fear.

Rowling said in the online chat the Hallows were in part inspired by The Pardoner's Tale, one of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales about greed and death.

Rowling shared with fans, many of whom said they'd read the final book several times in the last week, where she imagines their favorite wizards and witches went after the series' conclusion.

SPOILER ALERT: The reader who doesn't want to know how the book turned out should stop reading here.

Rowling said the world was a sunnier, happier place after the seventh book and the death of Voldemort.

Harry Potter, who always voiced a desire to become an Auror, or someone who fights dark wizards, was named head of the Auror Department under the new wizarding government headed by his friend and ally, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

His wife, Ginny Weasley, stuck with her athletic career, playing for the Holyhead Harpies, the all-female Quidditch team. Eventually, Ginny left the team to raise their three children James, Albus, and Lily while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

Harry's best friend Ron Weasley joined his brother, George, as a partner at their successful joke shop Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Hermione Granger, Ron's wife and the third leg of the series' dark wizard fighting trio, furthered the rights of subjugated creatures, such as house-elves, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures before joining magical law enforcement squad. The couple had two children Rose and Hugo.

Luna Lovegood, Harry's airily distracted friend with a love for imaginary animals who joins the fight against Voldemort in the Order of the Pheonix, becomes a famous wizarding naturalist who eventually marries the grandson of Newt Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

And what Muggle, or non-Wizarding, song would have been played at the funeral of Albus Dumbledore, the most brilliant and talented wizard the world had ever known?

"Surely 'I did it my way' by Frank Sinatra," Rowling told her fans.

As the chat wrapped up, Rowling thanked readers for their loyalty to the series.

"What can I say? Thank you so much for sticking with me, and with Harry, for so long. You have made this an incredible journey for Harry's author."[
    ]
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

+ Reply to Thread