+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

I think my favorite chapter of the book if not the entire series has definitely got to be A Prince's Tale. It was shocking but exciting at the same time. Long live the prince!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2486249;
    So can someone explain to me what exactly is a Hoarcrux (or however you spell it)? I took it as meaning something that carries someone's soul. For instance, Tom Riddle's diary in COS kind of contained his soul and when HP stabbed it, it released that soul. Am I understanding it correctly? And what exactly is a Squib? In Chapter 8, Auntie Muriel keeps saying something about Dumbledore's sister being a Squib.
    You are largely correct, nilesgirl. Horcruxes were explained in the last book. When a wizard or witch commits murder they rip apart their soul. The killer can then take a part of their soul and put it in something else (like the diary you mention above). Voldemort managed to survive his first encounter with Harry Potter because he had already put pieces of his soul in a number of different objects. When a horcrux is destroyed, the piece of soul contained inside is also destroyed.
    A squib is someone born into a magical family who doesn't have magical powers.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Guess I'll stay in spoilers, other than to say that I almost didn't receive my book until today. I'd been tracking UPS all Saturday morning and by 2PM was feeling really depressed. I called the apartment office on the off-chance they had delivered there, and lo and behold the post office carrier had delivered the UPS HP books to the office and stuck notices in the boxes. I wouldn't have opened my box until Sunday and the office is closed on Sunday. I would have been one very sad chickie. Luckily I'm not. Anyway...

Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe it was my heightened nervous state, but I didn't get emotionally into the story until Ron left and Harry and Hermoine were on their own. The trip to Godric's Hollow was the beginning of the story for me. I won't rehash the plot but from that point on, when Harry had to leave his boyhood longings behind, was the turning point and events took off on a fast run; from that point on, each of the three found their purpose. I appreciated the narratives that tied up questions and tied people together. There were emotional revelations (Malfoys, Snape, Aberforth) and a few surprises - Dobby's entrance and Hagrid's survival. I think I know where Jo said she "lost it and drank" while writing in the hotel room...I cried when Harry accepted his fate and walked to the edge of the forest, then re-called his loved ones from the veil for support. (He is 17 - just one year younger than the young men and women we send into harm's way.) The ending was as it should be. Hogwarts survived defended by all its inhabitants. I did wonder how she would (if she would) bring Kreacher back in as I had been wanting to shake Hermoine to remind her that Kreacher had expressed honorable loyalty to Harry and they could have used his services bringing in food and comfort during their camping. All Harry had to do was call for him. Ron could have at least raised the point and been voted down - but it would have been addressed.

It was, as my previous "location" said, a Thumping Good Read! I add my thanks to Jo Rowling for inventing a world that doesn't reside in a far universe or another dimension, but right next door...I've always wondered about my upstairs neighbor...
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-23-2007 at 10:13 AM.

FORT Fogey

Click to see Spoiler:
    The only thing I didn't really like was the Epilogue. I, like I have said, would have much rather just gone five years into the future to see what career paths they chose, and who got together with who. I would have LOVED to seen articles about Voldemort dieing, Harry living, how Harry addresses the wizarding world now that it's all over. And leave our imaginations to how many kids they have. (Everyone)

I really liked Luna's friends... friends... friends... thing! That made me realize how much she needed friends! I wonder if she married Neville.

I miss Harry Potter already. When Harry was walking to his death I was jut screaming NOOO and accepting his fate. I refused to believe he was a Horcrux. I was just like, ok, who is going to kill Voldemort now? I was like, Harry can't die! I wish maybe Harry could have seen everyone, his parents, Tonks and Lupin, Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore, and Snape, and maybe they could of told him something that could help Harry kill Voldemort... besides love.

I am now confused though. Is Harry a powerful magical Wizard? Or just ordinary?

FORT Fogey

Click to see Spoiler:
    And another thing, in the Godric's Hollow chapter... what's up with Hermione not telling Harry the old lady was speaking Parsletongue? You think that would be a warning sign.

The epilogue was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    pure pandering. Seven pages of ". . . and they lived happily ever after"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Just popping in real quickly to say I just received my book. Too bad I have to work today!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2486682;
    You are largely correct, nilesgirl. Horcruxes were explained in the last book. When a wizard or witch commits murder they rip apart their soul. The killer can then take a part of their soul and put it in something else (like the diary you mention above). Voldemort managed to survive his first encounter with Harry Potter because he had already put pieces of his soul in a number of different objects. When a horcrux is destroyed, the piece of soul contained inside is also destroyed.
    A squib is someone born into a magical family who doesn't have magical powers.
    I finally finished the book so I came to read.

I love the fact that there are these blank spaces for the spoilers.

As per Book 6, the Horcruxes need to be destroyed if Voldemort is ever to be killed and destroyed.

Making Horcruxes is very dark magic. I am under the impression not even the death eaters understand the concept of the Horcruxes. I think that the death eaters do not understand why Voldemort defies death, I think they may equate it to extraordinary powers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore figured out that Harry Potter is one of Voldemort's Horcruxes.
    Last edited by MomLady; 07-23-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I've been reading almost non-stop for the past week, trying to get through the re-read of five and six before I started on seven... I am glad I re-read those because all the details were fresh in my mind as I started the new book. I am about 250 pages into it, and so far I am loving it. I'm avoiding spoilers and have NOT skipped to the last page/chapter. I hope to have it done tonight so I can come back and read what everyone has posted in tags and see what the varied reactions are!

I am so sad to be reading the last HP book. Part of me wants to slow down and savor every page, but a larger, more insistent part want to finish it right this very minute. I will probably re-read it after all the kids and the boyfriend have their turn.

I think the epilogue was written as it was to leave the possibility of another series open in the future.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I.e. A series about the children.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread